found a bug any ideas

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by tealeaves, Oct 29, 2009.

1. hi guys

i was looking closely at my plants today and found a tiny little caterpiller looking fella hes yellow there is a silky trail but there doesnt seem to be any damage,,,i would imagine there gonna mutiply soon and will probably decimate my plants

what will i do??

and are all bugs bad??

2. Hmm, a tiny yellow caterpiller? I don't know what they look like when they get older, but I found some tiny caterpiller like larvae on my plant once, and it turned out to be a root maggot. It came from the soil I had used, because I didn't sanitize it first. Gently check around in the dirt or on your plant for more (they are small and grey when they are larvae) because if it is a root maggot they will eat the roots of your plants (hence the name ;)

Hope this helps

3. yea im not sure about that but any type of caterpiller aint to good i guess, its guno munch ur leafs, but not all bugs are bad for example preditor bugs are used to kill spidermites etc

4. caterpillars are herbivores, so yeah definitely pick him out and look for others. Probably nothing to panic over though. Just keep an eye out for chewed leaves in case he wasn't alone.

5. if u have problems with most crawlers use diatomaceous earth, it will kill'em

wiki =
    diatomaceous earth is also used as an insecticide, due to its physico-sorptive properties. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate. Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs. However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low. It is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness. Medical-grade diatomite is sometimes used to de-worm both animals and humans. It is most commonly used in lieu of boric acid, and can be used to help control and eventually eliminate a cockroach infestation. This material has wide application for insect control in grain storage.[2]

6. where would i get some diatomaceous earth ???

7. i got some at Lowes

8. im in ireland so no lowes ill check my local garden centre

9. Look to see if any of your garden centers/nurseries carry any products with Spinosad.
    I use an insecticide called Monterey Garden Insect Spray. It is an organic insecticide that is actually a bacterium that colonizes on the plant. When any leaf eating insects take a bite, they die.

I don't know if the spray I use is available in Ireland, but I'm sure you could find something with Spinosad.