Former Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara dead at age 93

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dickie4:20, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Former U.S. Defense Secretary Robert McNamara is dead. He died in his sleep at 5:30 a.m. Monday. He was 93.

There is a monument dedicated to his military and geopolitical expertise in Washington, D.C. I saw it actually while I was there last week. It is the Vietnam War Memorial. It lists the names of 58 thousand dead Americans who were sent to their deaths because McNamara, a former president of Ford Motor Company, was given the power to intervene (in whatever manner he chose) in a civil war in Southeast Asia that became yet another chapter in the insanity that was the Cold War.

In addition to the 58 thousand Americans, at least 2.5 million Indochinese (most of whom were Vietnamese) also were killed. All of these people, thousands of soldiers, hundreds of thousands of civilians, had their lives ripped from them as a direct result of the actions McNamara took in his dedication to the belief in the absolute primacy of American Corporatism and the need to force that belief on as much of the world as we could, no matter the consequences, no matter the destruction or the number of dead and crippled or the mentally destroyed.

By his own definition he was a War Criminal. Any action that is necessary to define that term, war criminal, was an action taken by Robert McNamara. From the fire bombing of Vietnamese cities and the murder of tens of thousands of innocent civilians to the establishment of murderous “free fire” zones in the countryside, McNamara's killing spree was without limits, without restriction, completely outside the rules of war so carefully crafted by the world's “civilized” societies. What a crock of shit.

If you really want to know more about this coward, read McNamara's biography here.

However, his true legacy is to be found in American men in their 60s who still carry the with them the memories of the war crimes perpetrated against yet another innocent country the United States decided to invade and destroy. His legacy also can be found in the monuments scattered throughout Vietnam, memorials to the death and destruction caused for no sane reason by the United States. Or in the hideous genetic deformities still occurring in newborns, nearly 40 years after the war ended in the worst defeat for the U.S. in its history, that are a direct result of the United States saturating Vietnam in a poisonous flood of the deadly herbicide Agent Orange.

The list of crimes against humanity committed by the United States in Vietnam is a long one. It is a list too horrifying for us to acknowledge. To do so would bring an end to whatever belief still remains here in our sad, broken country that the United States operated honorably during the bloody and war-eaten 20th Century. And we Americans are not ready for that, especially not now, not at a time when the record shows we have become a nation whose highest elected officials ordered the torture of men charged with no crime and given no rights in order to extract phony “confessions.” A nation whose leaders see nothing wrong in saturating yet another country with yet another toxic substance, this time explosives made with depleted uranium, that is already producing thousands of horrific birth defects and hideous cancers.

Our century-long history of lies employed in the expansion of empire, crimes against humanity, wars of opportunity, and the brutal killing of millions of innocent civilians is a history in which Robert McNamara fits easily witihn.

2. I'm all for politics but to use a man's death as an excuse to bring them up is a little fucked up. You even called him a coward and a war criminal. While he might be these things, how about little respect for the deceased? Michael Jackson was a child molester and no one has said a fuckin word about it.

If you don't like the things he did, you could've posted a topic about it. Instead it's almost as if his death reminded you of the fact that he was even around and you suddenly felt compelled to post a topic and insult him. If you cared this strongly about it before, why didn't you post before? Just saying it's a little fucked up.

3. :confused:
    Category: mike's blog

Well you almost plagiarized the entire thing.

4. The fact that a war criminal (which is what he was) dies comfortably at an old age should anger everyone. I don't see anything wrong with this

And about MJ: sure they did

5. Let's go launch William Calley into the Mississippi with a catapult. It will sate our anger.

6. I usually respect the deceased..

but not if its Robert McNamara. But I guess a lot of you don't know about the vietnam war if you think McNamara deserves to be respected.

How about the thousands of Americans who died over in Vietnam, McNamara didn't show them respect and therefore I won't show him respect.

7. Too bad it took this long for him to croak. RIH.

8. :hello::hello::hello::hello::hello:I gotta sudden urge to dance:hello::hello::hello::hello::hello:

9. sensimil, who gives a shit about it. Quit jumping in the threads and keep bashing on quotes. Start talking like one or get the fuck out.

10. bout time.

Now if someone could take out Bernanke and Geithner, we would we be moving in the right direction...

11. Rolling my eyes at everyone who probably didn't even know who he was before today

The Fog of War is a great biography on him

[ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8653788864462752804&ei=iKdXSvaXNsSDlgf0vYipDg&q=fog+of+war&hl=en&client=firefox-a]The Fog of War ~ Documentary about Sec. of Defense Robert McNamara's Experience[/ame]

12. It is a great documentary, but it seems like you respect him now after watching it? A self-described "war criminal" that believes you must do evil to accomplish good... let me hear why you're rolling your eyes at this thread.

If anything he was the fog of war, not caught in it... but let me hear your defense.

13. Because everyone loves to jump on a bandwagon. Probably 3/4ths of the people rejoicing in this thread couldn't have told you a thing about the guy if you asked them yesterday.

Yeah, I do respect him. It's clear to me after having seen the film a number of times, which includes a lot of taped conversations between McNamara and JFK and LBJ, that he's not some kind of warmonger foaming at the mouth. He was just the wrong man for the job; too removed...too wrapped up in numbers...

Dude was a genius when it came to numbers and his work at Ford was pretty impressive. Gotta give it up to him for introducing the seat belt in mass-produced automobiles.

14. \

Yeah tones of people ha said michael was a child moleste and shit.

Fuck Mcnamara just cause he's dead doesn't make what he did ok.

15. He was arrogant and narrow minded, he either didn't understand or didn't care that he was killing millions of people in Asia. He had no ideology and he only served the interest of those around him. What is his defense for the millions of Vietnamese, Laotions, Cambodians... ?

I cannot excuse that kind of lame ignorance.

And dude, lap belts sucked...

16. He was also a mass-murderer.

17. Him personally? No, not quite

18. Um, yes.
    Some people kill with guns. Others knives. He controlled an army. One of the most well equipped and numerous in the world, in fact. That was his tool to kill thousands of Vietnamese. And what did he kill them for? Political ideologies that had no affect on those villagers. Yes, he was a murderer.