Foreign aid

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Johnny Cash, Oct 8, 2012.

1. It seems to me many of you believe foreign aid is inherently bad and shouldn't be a part of government expenses. It more often than not ends up in the wrong hands and gets spent on maintaining oppressive governments or for personal luxuries for the elites. I do agree that just sending over money is a pretty stupid idea. But what if we were to send goods? What if instead of sending money we would send farm equipment, energy resources, communication technology, etc. Things that can only be used in productive ways for the people. I know this might be a pipe dream because it creates competition if 3rd world countries get their shit together, but do you agree that this kind of foreign aid is acceptable?

2. I guess its a step up because its only useful to a few groups of people that the rich couldn't get as much use fro but we rally can't afford to keep helping other countries we have our own problems

3. There's nothing wrong with foreign aid, if it's done voluntarily. No one is against foreign or any other kind of aid, we just don't want the government to do it.

4. The aid system doesn't make any sense. They call it "development aid" when all the money just goes straight into the treasury. However, giving goods to many African countries would not be a good thing because of the black market trade in vaccinations etc. As soon as food, clean water, vaccinations and bandages reach the villages, much of it is stolen by militant gangs and sold on the black market. The UN should be commissioning a non-profit NGO to set up a development plan for every country that receives aid, then withhold aid if certain targets aren't being met.