For seedlings should i pack the soil tight or loose?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by sensecide, May 4, 2012.

1. I just germinated two new seeds, well three but one of them died cuz i planted it early and packed the soil too tight i think but today i got some scotts premium top soil but i dont have any perlite but i could mix it with some mulch that i got and im just starting them in solo cups so how tight should i pack the dirt and should i put mulch in it so it can drain?:smoke:

2. Pack it tight before you put the seeds in!then when you pop them in,dig a hole with your finger about an inch down!once the seed is showing about a 1/4 of an inch of root,put it in and cover it back over lightly with the soil u dug out!then just give it a little tap on the top to make it a little bit more compact!this will give the seed abit resistance when first penetrating the soil,hopefully making it strong and healthy!:smoke:)

3. Grab a fistful of moist soil and squeeze it as hard as you can. When you release, if it doesn't crumble away loosely, you need more perlite. Don't pack your soil, just tap the pot on the floor to settle the dirt into any air pockets. Marijuana loves a loose, fluffy soil with good drainage.