Football - US Translation = Soccer

Discussion in 'General' started by meehai, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Hey everyone, who here agrees with me that football is the greatest game in the world ??

Americans seem to have a hard on for a lot of poor sports (baseball - like watching paint dry:confused: ), but any of you like soccer??

I'm a Newcastle United fan, we have some good players like Owen and Emre, but my fave player ever is the little round ball of fat, Maradona, absolute genius :hello:

Lets hear your thoughts on the worlds greatest game...

2. I like soccer, I dont watch it though. I played for 4 years and still enjoy playing a little soccer here and there.

I think id prefer a good game of football over soccer though, I like knockin people out for fun :D

Baseball is boring hehe cant stand it.

3. I'll agree that baseball is about as exciting as watching grass grow, but I can't say that I find soccer to be much more exciting. I mean guys just kicking the ball back and forth on a huge field? Not exciting to me.

Now American football, THAT's a game to get excited about. Or hockey.

// edit //

I think this can explain the difference between the viewpoints of soccer in the US. and everywhere else:

The Mexican team kicks off, and pass it between them, again and again... and again... The crowd becomes quiet.

HOMER
    Boring!

KRUSTY
    Come on, you schnorrers, do something!

KENT BROCKMAN
    (in a commentary booth, bored) Half back passes to the center, back to the wing, back to the center. Center holds it. Holds it. Holds it...

MEXICAN COMMENTATOR
    (excitedly) Half back passes to center, back to wing, back to center! Center holds it! Holds it! Holds it!!

4. I've never really gotten into soccer, I've seen some pretty crazy highlights though that almost tempted me to watch a game.

I'm more into boxing though, you might even see me on TV sometime soon =).

5. hell yea I played soccer since i was 6 and played in highschool.

i especially love indoor soccer its so fast paced

6. kickball sucks, thats why americans took the name football and applied it to a real sport.

7. football like most sports i find boring as shit rugby on the other hand now thats a game to play and an excuse to grind chavs into the dirt:hello:

8. No need to bash soccer, soccer's better than alot of the other team sports IMO.

Personally , I'm not into sports like that too much.
    American Football is about as fun as watching someone clip there toe nails.
    Soccer , eh its alright, I woulndt watch it on TV
    Baseball - Worse than football.

9. NCAA is fucking fun to watch. NFL is slightly boring....and ive never watched a game of soccer

10. both footballs are fun to watch, and I enjoy NCAA basketball but not NBA

11. soccer? ehhh.... us football is pretty good, baseball sucks, but i think its basketball and hockey which are the more action oriented sports, hockey especially because of fighting and checking. too bad the us got owned by sweden today though

12. Fuckin' right, rugby is one of the greatest sports on god's green earth. Not to say I don't love American football too. Soccer is awesome also, but rugby is definately the best.

13. yo nugrugger, what position are you? since you smoke pot im gonna guess a forward :) I myself am the loosehead.

14. damn, no baseball fans in GC? gotta rep for my DODGERS!

as for soccer, blah, not for me.
    basketball, not too big of a fan, but i like it.
    football, GO RAIDERS, MOTHERFUCKER!
    hockey, blah.
    golf, blah.

15. NFL, MLB, NBA three great things to watch and then college football is good, OSU is gonna rock everyone nxt year.
    i just wish that F1 would get more popular over in the states, because i cant stand nascar, to me its the dumbest thing ive seen on tv

16. I also use to think that soccer was boring (while in the US)... When I moved out to another country I got exposed to it a lot more..I now understand the skill involved and therefore appreciate it a lot more.

17. i think its interesting that i have never found a straight male who doesnt fall in love with UFC, Pride, or SuperBrawl fighting. these are REAL sports haha seriouslly that shit is fucking intense. i cant watch a match sitting down.

18. baseball is like watching paint dry?! u watch soccer! how mant times do they score on average in games. like three if ur lucky. baseball doesnt have that much more scoring but its damn more entertaining than soccer, IMO. neone is free to disagree. :wave:

19. um american soccer is the most homo preppy sport.....until you start talking about lacross, now american football with 7 foot 350pound black guys slamming each other is awsome

baseball is lame

20. i don't know why ppl call sports 'gay' or preppy esp when they talk about lacrosse b/c in my area the only schools that have lacrosse are the private preppy school so i'm not sure what you mean. But i love all sprts really soccer is my favorite played since i was 4 its the most physically and mentally demanding sport played.