Football and brain damage

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by yurigadaisukida, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Wtf is with this football brain damage controversy?

Do nfl players not already know the risks? I mean cmon. Wtf?!. Its no secret. They want to play football. They make a lot of fucking money!!!

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. shouldn't they just go back to the old leather head gear? i feel they would be less inclined to ram with their heads into each other if it wasn't so "well protected".

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Idk, i feel.like, perhaps, they dont care.

In fact, i feel like the point if the sport if for them to fuck.eachother up.

Its like a really complicated ufc?

4. Dumb jocks.

5. how rude! Shouldnt everyone be allowed to live as they chose? As males them happy? As long as theu dont infringe on others lives?
    In fact, do people not enjoy watching these "dumb jocks"?
    I believe it is called a symbiotic relationship. This is the science forum after all.

6. [quote name="yurigadaisukida" post="19468581" timestamp="1391592858"]how rude! Shouldnt everyone be allowed to live as they chose? As males them happy? As long as theu dont infringe on others lives? In fact, do people not enjoy watching these "dumb jocks"? I believe it is called a symbiotic relationship. This is the science forum after all.Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app[/quote]Hahahaha. I'm a guy. I play sports. I was just saying they are dumb jocks. Cause they are. It's not an insult. Keep it green!

7. People inflicting brain damage to others through sports for the sake of enjoyment...Gladiators killed each other, not much has changed in our "civilized" society...

People willing to bash each others head for money and fame...

What kind of humans are we?

Are we educated?

Are we civilized?

Are we humanized?

I don't think so. But we seem to hold ourself in such a high esteem.

Man is God's greatest creation, Man is the finest product of evolution. Our agressive and greedy past is all forgotten, we are not agressive nor competitive anymore. We are slowly succeeding in getting ourself extinct.

Self-destruction, one of man's greatest evolutionary traits.

8. Bring back gladiatorial combat!

9. #9 Uncle_Meat420, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2014

They really should

I think people should have the right to consent to death matches and have them sanctioned by the local governments. Ticket sales could be used to help the needy

Worked for Rome

If two people are gonna kill each other society should benefit from it somehow, if not then society is just gonna have to clean up the mess they make from chopping each other apart or blowing their brains all over the street.

Hell recycle the bodies to. Medical science or soylent green or whatever

12. if you have beef with some you call up the local coliseum, make a date and settle that shit once and for all. i think if theyre both down for a deathmatch then why not let em? lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. Violent sports are the OPPOSITE of uncivilized.

They are a civilized mutual way of agreeing to chanel our agressive nature for practical use instead of wars and such.

We need less war and more ufc

14. #14 Sam_Spade, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2014
    ok

15. You speak of our aggresive "nature" as if it is inherent to our human condition. People are not aggresive by nature.

It's the egoistical, agressive and competitive environment in which we are raised that produces violent individuals.  Individuals who will shape the world of tomorrow. It's a vicious circle.

The only thing that legitimates violent sports is our cultural conditioning. People raised in a society without those violent sports would be baffled by the basic brutality displayed by these "athletes".  Brain damage always occurs, but hey it's alright he is getting paid for it, and he is unconscious enough to not realize the long-term consequences of his actions.

In ancient Rome families went to the colliseum to watch Christians be fed to lions. Afterwards the children would ask their parents: Can we please come again next week to see Christians being eaten by lions? Parents would anwer: "If you behave yourself."

You are basically saying the same, if my society agrees that it is alright, it is alright, no moral objection here.

It's this kind of mindset that is holding us back, keeping us in the old patterns of tought and action. It's not acceptable anymore. And it is a major cause of human suffering worldwide.

This attitude is insane.

16. I was watching stephen colbert when i posted this. Or was it stewart. Idk i was drunk

17. Actually people are agressive by nature

18. Probably because of how retarded denver looked last sunday, lmfao

19. this concussion problem has been a problem with the nfl for a while. A lot of misinformation and maybe a few things swept under the rug, and it only became significantly publicized when the nfl came out and finally acknowledged that it's ex-players were suffering. The suicide of Junior Seau also brought a lot of light to what the retired NFL'ers may be dealing with.

The players do know the risks but remember safety comes first, which is completely ironic when dealing with a collision sport.

plus, new rules attempting to protect players from head injuries has only made leg injuries increase, as more tacklers aim low in fear of being penalized/fined.

20. My rule of thumb is that if you need a helmet to play the sport you should know that there is a risk of injury.

I stick to disc golf, ping pong and hacky sack.