Foliar Feeding

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by uberkush, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Couldnt find a thread on this... Ive fed my plants outside once this way because its way easier to carry than a big jug of water. From what ive read online im not sure its any better than regular feeding.

What else does anyone know?

2. Foliar feeds need to be thinned out more than typical soil ferts, usually at least twice as thin. To carry the same amount of nutrients, you'd have to carry twice as much liquid with a foliar feed as with regular soil fertilizer.

3. I mixed mine at 50% and my plants were fine. And are you saying i would have to spray my plants with twice the liquid? Because that would be a lot.

I have also heard that foliar feeding can confuse the plant

4. The plants cannot handle as strong a concentration of fertilizer as a foliar feed as they can when fertilizing the soil. If the most of a given fertilizer that your plants can handle in their soil without burn is, say, one tablespoon per gallon of water, then a foliar feed of the same fertilizer would be mixed closer to 1/2Tbs/gal. So, to carry one tablespoon of the fertilizer as a soil feed, you'd have to carry one gallon. To carry the same amount of fertilizer as a foliar feed, you'd have to carry two gallons.

5. When you use foliar spray, less of it gets wasted in the soil and run off. It goes right to the leaves so you use less. Just fill your bottle with half strength nutes enough to drench your plants. But this only works in veg because spraying buds will make them rot. Then you will have to feed bloom nutes in the soil.

6. I dont know if anyone is reading this but on foliar feeding particularly in guerilla grows it is benificial as nutes can be pulled in other than by soil,the thing is that if this is the only method of feeding it is shorter lived than than both feeding the soil and leaves combined and would have to be repeated more often.