Foam Rollers. WOW!

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by DemiseInDisguise, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Just picked up a white, three foot long foam roller today to help with my postural issues.

Oh. My. God.

Watched a few videos for foam rolling exercises (mainly hamstrings and IT Band) and my legs feel AMAZING and relaxed.

For those of you who don't know what a foam roller is:

[​IMG]

It's a cylinder-shaped piece of foam. Think of a pool noodle, but a lot more dense. You roll a muscle over it and feel out for a tight spot that hurts. You let the foam roller sit on that tight muscle tissue anywhere from 15 seconds all the way up to 60 seconds. The applied pressure to the tight muscle will hurt (Especially the IT Band!!) and from what I've read: this is one of the few times where pain = good. It loosens up the muscle tissue. Here is an example:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoHBDim_fzk]How to Use a Foam Roller to Release Your IT Band - YouTube[/ame]

Any other foam rollers out there?

2. Yeah, my brother turned me onto it. He's a big fan of foam rollers.

I love rolling out my back on them.

3. Foam rolling for the fucking win.

It is integral to recovery.

Everyone: get one.

4. How much do they cost?

5. This sounds dope

6. You are one of the enlightened ones.

Welcome to foam heaven.

7. I've been a foam roller junkie for 6 months. The roller is great for loosening up my legs after I run. It has helped me stave off injury and increase my mileage.

Pros like Galen Rupp get to use water jet massagers:mad:

8. Yeah they are really nice. So is the rolling stick.

[​IMG]

9. Mine costed me thirty bucks. I feel indifferent. I mean, on one hand, I paid thirty bucks for a cylindrical piece of fucking foam lol. But at the same time, I know that it's definitely worth having. I can't wait to see how I feel a month, hell even a week, from now after using it.

You can find some for twenty bucks to thirty bucks online, but fancier ones can cost fourty bucks plus. I had to have one right now, right this instant, which is why I went to a local sports store and bought mine.

You can McGuyver your own with PVC pipe and a yoga mat. Based on what I've read online, some people don't even use the yoga mat, and just roll on PVC pipe. I guess the more pressure = better, but don't quote me on that.

Here is something I just came across while reading about foam rolling:

[quote name='"http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/equipment/fr/The-Grid-Foam-Roller-Review.htm"']Using a foam roller is the best way to perform self-massage and myofascial release, but still isn't commonly used by recreational athletes. For anyone who exercises regularly, or has muscle tightness, imbalances or a history of injury, using a foam roller on a regular basis can help loosen tight muscles, reduce muscle adhesions and scar tissue formation, increase flexibility. It's also a great way to prevent muscle stiffness and aid in the rest and recovery process as well.
    Used before exercise, foam rolling can help increase blood flow and prepare the muscles for exercise. Even if you don't exercise intensely, foam rolling eases aches, pains and tension caused by sitting at a computer all day.

Keep in mind that not all aches and pains and injuries can be helped by foam rolling. Check with your doctor before you use a foam roller, especially if you have some health conditions such as heart disease, PAD, problems with circulation or fibromyalgia.[/quote]

You can also use a tennis ball, but I don't believe it is as good to use because the tennis ball isn't as firm. It would get pressed down. Try looking up some vids on youtube.

10. I have a really slight case of hunch back from a skating injury a few years ago. Do you think a foam roller would help with that?

11. Gold's Gym 18" Foam Roller - Walmart.com

You can also buy these dense hard balls to roll on. They are really nice if you have plantar fasciitis .

12. lolololol hunchback :hello:

13. It'd be more comical if I wasn't in pain everyday of my life as a result :mad:

:p