Fluro Lighting Question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by McTwist, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Hey guys whats up,,,this is a nice site you got here. Ok anyway, I'm gonna do my first grow soon and I'm wondering if I could use like four small 2' 20 watt lights for like a plant or two. Or if not could I use a two 4' fluro with 2 40watts in them.

I want to put them in a cubby hole in my room, and the only way I could do that is with the 2' lights. The 4' lights, I could put them out in my family's garage, the downstairs part where no one goes, and then make a box 4 complete darkness. Although it's damp in there.

I just want to know, if I the 20 watt lights would be enough for maybe one plant, and it's more convenient for me to have them in my room. A lot safer and stuff. I don't know, I have everything else, soil, seeds, pots, fans, it's just the lighting that is my concern. I don't have a lot of money to buy one of those HPS lights. I also heard UVa light or something works. Are there any cheap HPS lights like $40 - $60 that I could get at a flower store or home depot?

Any suggestions?

2. I would suggest buying some CFLs in addition to the 2' flouros since you want at least 100 W. 2 30 W CFLs should do the trick with your flouros and I'd suggest getting daylight CFLs or flouro bulbs for vegging and soft white for flowering.

3. Well I made up my mind to use the 4' light with the two 40watt fluros. It'll be by a window too, so do you think that is enough or should I get those CFL thingys cause I'm only growing one plant. By the way how much are they?

Ohh another question, could I use like a couple halogen lights, I think that's what they are, I have one outside and three in my pool room, the ones that get really hot.

4. CFLs cost about $6-9 each and I would still suggest getting one especially for flowering since that's when your babies will grow the fastest / most. As far as Halogens go... I don't think they are very useful since I haven't seen anyone post that they use them plus a lot of heat isn't great since it'll burn your plants unless it's far away in which case it's nearly uselesss anyway, but I am far from knowledgeable on the subject. For flowering the window will have to be blocked off from light entering during your 12 hrs of darkness. Sorry if this post is incomprehensible for I'm slightly on the drunkness.

5. Ughhh the outside fluro thing doesnt work so I'm screwed over on the lights now, but I found something on the home depot website! A 27watt spring compact fluro bulb in warm white. But it's just the bulb and I was looking at youngandstupids grow, and I seen his bulbs he had on a cord, is that like a special adapter or did that come with it? because I have to grow in my room now and I need a plug in. I'm gonna call up a SEARS Hardware as that's more convenient but let me know on that bulb and stuff.

Peace