Fluorescent bulbs

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by bigcat187, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Guys, got my card and starting to grow. I have 2 little sprouts already. Wondering what type of fluorescent bulbs to buy. I bought 2 black light bulbs but i know its not gunna work now.Please advise at what type of bulbs to buy

2. If you are on a serious budget you can buy CFL bulbs from home depot but you won't get a serious yield the smoke will be pretty bad. You should look into LED quantum boards like niemiled.com , they are built with Samsung diodes which are the best grow lights right now

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. How big is your space? What is your budget? Are you ok with some DIY?

4. Yes, i have a nice little space about 5 feet wide, long, and height about 9 foot. Just need to go by bulbs but idk what kind will work the best. I customized an old fluorescent fixture that holds two bulbs.

5. Natural daylight or white bulbs 5000K, 800-1600 lumens/bulb, personally this is the deal i use to veg maybe a $20-40 investment and youre ready to veg plants
    20190816_091140.jpg

6. T5s wont fit in fixture. Going to have to use T8s, just bigger diameter. Menards and Home Depot dont sell blue or red spectrum bulbs. They have 5000 to 65000k LEDs but cant find any specific to growing. does it matter? Also, they mark the bulbs as "cool white", daylight, etc. Whats the best option. these will be 4 foot bulbs, only have two bulbs in fixture

7. Bulbs do not have to be growing specific. Generally you want higher K in veg, and lower K in flower. For veg anything from 4000 up is ok. Of those two choices I would go with the 5000K.

As others have mentioned a better light will get you better results. The problem with t8's is that they have very low light output. This means not only less light at the canopy, but little to no penetration. The LED replacement bulbs arent going to help that much at all. If you are able to harvest something off the t8 setup I would recomend putting the money you would have spent on smoke to the side until you can get a better light. While expensive, equipment will pay for itself in the first one to two harvest.

8. I use a bank of eight four-foot T5 bulbs.
    Quite satisfactory, but there are far better lighting solutions.
    Fluorescents just happened to fit my situation.
    ‘Cool’ color temperature for vegetation and swap out to
    ‘warm’ bulbs for flower. 18/6 and then 12/12 hours.
    That covers a two foot by four foot space.
    Hope that helps.

9. #11 bigcat187, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    not sure whats wrong with them. What you guys think. One has 4 leaves the other has only two so far. Started same time. Planted seeds August 1st.

10. Shes growing slowly but surely man but ya gotta start somewhere, you could continue on with that plant but will probably just continue its slow growth the rest of its life so if time is no factor is let her ride and just get another seed workin along side her