Fluffy buds? How can I dense up?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by lesgofast2, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Room temperature: 80-85

Light:
    400W HPS/2 Plants

Supplements:
    Aerated Tap water, 1tbs Un-Sulpherd Molasses per. Gallon, given ever other watering

Strain:
    Bag seeds

Drying method:
    Cardboard box/Fishing line, closed, temps 76-80, open the box every 2 days, stems snap in 5-7 days.

Cured:
    31/2 wks burped every 2-3 days

Method:
    Soil, custom mixed
    Now that we got all that out of the way. My buds are pretty light and fluffy, one of the strains was SUPER dense as it was growing and now after drying/curing it's fluffy and not as dense. However when i press it when it's in a bag it starts smelling super dank and looks how it should. Dont get me wrong it gets me :smoking:

I have been recently packing the jars down with my fist, not too hard though, and letting it sit for 2-3 days, shaking it up, then repeating.

2. I need an answer to this too... my first grow was super light, next one, little denser, next one, a little more.... but not SOLID hard nugs. How far away are the lights from the plants?

3. a bigger powerd light is the answer the 400 watter cant penitrat deep into the buds get a 600 watt and reap the rewards...

4. I very much agree I have a 600 watt hps works so well doesnt run the bill up and has already paid for itself a few times.:smoke:

5. I can't agree to that... I mean, look at a lot of the grows around. I think Yoda's cave (budslinger?) I'll find the link, uses a 400, and that dude GROWS.

6. I have seen his grow its very nice he also scrog too. There is nothing wrong with a 400 watt light but you cant disagree that a bigger light never hurts.:D

7. One of the things that affect the denseness of the nugs besides genetics, light, c02 is the speed at which you dry you buds. The slower the buds go through their initial drying the more dense they'll be.

I usually aim for mid 60's and 40-50% humidity. Takes 7-10 days usually till snapage occures

8. Budslinger is the man.

9. "If you want the density, provide the intensity." Buds grown in relatively low light conditions will be looser than buds grown in high light intensity. Excessive heat, or a big swing between day and night temperature can promote streching and loose buds. Keeping the high temperature below 80F and the difference between high and low between 10 and 15 degrees will help promote tighter buds. Nice tight buds require a high ratio of K to N. Too little K and too much N can lead to looser buds.The dark cycle needs to be completely dark if possible, sit in your room when the lights are off for 15 minutes to see if it really is dark, light leaks can promote stretching of the buds.Switching from Fluoro to a 400w hps made a huge difference in my buds. They were a lot denser. The increase in light intensity also made my plants a lot more productive.

10. I've read that before... years ago. The exact same paragraph. ... hmm:confused:

11. im using a 150w hps and my nugs are very dense and no supplments

12. im using a 150w hps and my nugs are very dense

13. qft :smoke:

14. I have a 250 and got some pretty dense nuggs but I also scrogged which definitely helps and backs up the previous point made about light intensity increasing the dense-ness of the bud. Doesnt strain make a difference as well though?

15. very much so...

generally it's

sativa - long, airy buds
    indica - stocky, tight, fat buds
    ruderialis - stocky, slim buds

:smoke:

16. if i'm reading correctly, you didn't use any nutes during the flowering phase...just molasses? That would be my first guess right there as to why you have airy buds

17. #18 Veeners5, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2010
    I thought so :rolleyes:, thanks Krenski :cool:;)

EDIT: Whats the point of smashing your buds into the jar and then shaking them up again 2-3 days later? Wouldnt that just "smash" your buds as well as cause a lot of detached trichomes in the process, no body likes that :( Just curious, if I missed something lemme know ;)

18. the point you're missing is that you neither smash em in nor shake em hard... you do that carefully of course :D
    read this... it explains pretty much all there is... ;)

19. More light doesn't always equal denser buds, OP, said these were bag seeds, so it's more than likely genetics. not all plants will produce dense buds. each plant grows differently.

I've had my fair share of fluffy buds, they suck, its just the luck of the draw when growing from seed, especially bag seed.

Just keep popping seeds until you find a fat sticky bitch. it takes time, time sucks. take it from a guy who has grown 100's of pounds.