Flu shot or get fired

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Nokturnal420, Sep 16, 2009.

1. I think in the case of our health care system i think a highly contagious diseise that can keep people from working at full capacity should be treated with all seriousness.

And as for smallpox, if we'd been fighting it since the 1800 then why do you think it only went away when we started innonculating people?

I know this is radical, but shots can be good.

2. I'm not gonna come on here and act like a doctor and give anyone advice on whether to getthe shot or not. If you think its in your best health interest to get it and you're well informed about it, then do you. But I know that I strongly distrust everything government endorsed, and that from what I've read about the effects of the flu vs. the possible effects of the vaccine, I'll take my chances with the flu.

3. im with him^^^

4. Vaccinations could keep them from working at full capacity as well. I think that most of the hospital workers have a strong immune system if they can work in a hospital every day without getting sick. I'm not worried about them getting sick.

We've been inoculating people for smallpox since the mid 1800s. Also, I'm willing to bet that this vaccine will kill more people than the actual swine flu does given it doesn't mutate, which would make the vaccine useless anyways.

5. Just pasting what I had in my last post...

"However, consider this: what's the difference between a highly contagious but normally non-fatal virus and an extremely deadly virus the likes of small pox? Like Maxrule's link said, "viruses change over time". Mutations are how the current version of swine flu could turn into something much more potent.

Viruses need hosts, otherwise, after a relatively short period of time, they die. When they're in a host, though, all they're doing is replicating. They replicate in a similar way to our cells but just at a ridiculous rate.

What're the chances a mutation of swine flu occurring within a given host will result in an extremely deadly strain? 1 in 1,000,000? 1 in 10,000,000? It's certainly very minuscule. Still, every time a host is infected, the current strain of the virus gets another roll of the ten-million-sided die. Hell I don't know, maybe a virus needs to mutate in steps - in successive transfers over a series of hosts.

At any rate, a virus that infects people as easily as swine flu does is not good news. Frankly I would advise you all to get a vaccine once they become available (or at least once an acceptable number of people have successfully taken it to make you feel secure enough in taking it yourself)."

6. rofl, you all come to a marijuana forum to have people to relate to because the government outlaws the one product which you enjoy putting into your body, how do you ever think you'll be able to get them to legalize what you consume when you can't even keep them from vaccinating you with all sorts of untested medications.

7. 1.) No one's worried about hospital workers getting sick, they're worried about hospital workers getting sick and spreading it to more sick people.

Let's say a 25 year old nurse gets the flu, no big deal, she'll get over it. But let's say before she starts getting symptoms she treats a 65 year old senior with an immune deficiency disorder and spreads the flu to him, that could be fatal. People today don't realize how dangerous a disease the flu is. If you're healthy when you get it, you'll be fine, but if you're already ill with something else, particularly cancer and immune deficiency disorders, it can kill you.

2.) Being exposed to other illnesses does not make your body any better at combating swine flu. I think you have the impression that the immune system is an muscle, or some kind of army that gets stronger with experience. That's not how it works.

And even if hospital workers somehow get a super immune system that makes them immune to disease (as you seem to think), that wouldn't stop them from spreading it. Just because someone doesn't get sick, in other words doesn't show symptoms, doesn't mean they aren't capable of spreading. As I said, it's not hospital workers this rule is primarily aiming to protect, it's their patients.

This is a very interesting line of thought. Did you just make all of that up or are you a medical professional making an expert analysis. Do you imagine dialog going something like:

Dr. Expert: The swine flu may not be so dangerous now, but it is highly contagious and if it mutates it could be a real problem. We're going to start producing vaccines.

kstigs: But if the virus mutates, won't the vaccine be useless?

Dr. Expert: OMFG!!! I never thought of that.

8. Last time there was a flu and they made vaccinations, 120 people died from them, while far less to none died from the flu.

9. ^This :hello:

10. I'm no deliberately saying there's some vast flu shot conspiracy. All I know is that I've talked to plenty of people who got the flu after the shot, potentially from it. I don't and wont get them. I'd fight it if my job tried to pull that shit.

11. #31 Arteezy, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2009
    Any disease could be fatal if you have an autoimmune disease. That is the nature of an autoimmune disease. It's hard to live with, but people manage.

Being exposed to the swine flu, like many hospital workers already have, does help you build an immunity. Also, just to work at a hospital on a daily basis, they have to have a strong immune system; otherwise, they'd be sick every other week.

You've never worked in a hospital. You wouldn't last a week. Hospital workers (especially the doctors and nurses) are exposed to more viruses in a year than you will be in your entire life.

The vaccines they're producing now are for the current strain. It will take several months to produce a new vaccine for a mutated virus and by then the flu season will be over.

12. Thus nullifying the point of a vaccination.

I don't get flu shots. If my job forced me to get one, I would quit and live under a bridge and eat dog food. Dry dog food.

Or..I suppose I could find another job..

13. This. The only medication I've ever received is a tetanus shot. I don't take pills, cough syrup, or anything else. Not even advil.

Coincidentally, I'm the healthiest person I know. (maybe it has something to do with the whole diet and exercise thing)

14. I kind of hope the flu morphs into a crazy death flu like that one at the end of WWI. It would be really nice to wipe the "OMG vacciens give u autism" gene out of the pool. Unfortunately it may also lead to the collapse of the tinfoil manufacturing industry.

15. This is the third time I've posted this. Hopefully someone will read it this time... The point is that the more time the current strain has to mutate (i.e the more hosts that get infected) the greater the chance of a vicious mutation.

"However, consider this: what's the difference between a highly contagious but normally non-fatal virus and an extremely deadly virus the likes of small pox? Like Maxrule's link said, "viruses change over time". Mutations are how the current version of swine flu could turn into something much more potent.

Viruses need hosts, otherwise, after a relatively short period of time, they die. When they're in a host, though, all they're doing is replicating. They replicate in a similar way to our cells but just at a ridiculous rate.

What're the chances a mutation of swine flu occurring within a given host will result in an extremely deadly strain? 1 in 1,000,000? 1 in 10,000,000? It's certainly very minuscule. Still, every time a host is infected, the current strain of the virus gets another roll of the ten-million-sided die. Hell I don't know, maybe a virus needs to mutate in steps - in successive transfers over a series of hosts.

At any rate, a virus that infects people as easily as swine flu does is not good news. Frankly I would advise you all to get a vaccine once they become available (or at least once an acceptable number of people have successfully taken it to make you feel secure enough in taking it yourself)."

16. So, wtf does the flu shot have to do with mutation? Are you implying that the forced vaccinations decrease the chances of mutation?

17. I don't wish death on anybody, not even the president, you should be banned for saying that! WTF you hope masses of people die from the flu because they actually understand the UN"s true agenda for the world!

18. read ur fucking article

Won't always protect against something =/= spreading disease
    So mb hospital workers are part of the group that needs a fucking vaccine?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of forced vaccines.. but this is ridiculous. Hate it on principle, not because of some nutjob conspiracy theory.

19. The common cold is also a virus, be we handle it, don't we?

I've seen more things and heard more people say that the vaccine does more harm than good. I'm not saying the government is trying to poison you, I'm saying, based on how the mortality/recovery rate is for the swine flu so far, and the description of it, I don't need a vaccine.

A vaccine makes you sick, that's how it works. If it could be serious, I'd rather not have it in me at all.

From wikipedia:
    I'll take my chances.

And if it does mutate into something as serious as small pox, having a vaccination would only make it worse, we'd need a cure.

If it gets serious and they make a cure, fuck it, I'll probably take it. But if those symptoms^ are all I have to deal with (if I get it), I'll wait on receiving an injection from people who profit from illness.

20. good example.
    Smallpox is your reason not to get a flu shot.

Maybe you should take your doctors advice, and not the conspiracy theory nutjob.
    Of course the flu vaccination isn't always effective: that doesn't mean it isn't useful.