Flowering with Metal Halide(MH) 250 Watts

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by gweetob, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Ive got 2 plants ive been vegging under a bright clear 250 watt Metal Halide lamp. It puts out a good 21,000 lumens.
    I pretty much have to use this lamp to flower my plants.

My question is, has anybody flowered with a Metal Halide?

And i know this isnt IDEAL, but im sure with plenty nutes, plenty lumens and fresh air, i dont think i should be dissappointed in Yeild, but i would like to know how much MORE yield would i get using HPS 250 watts?

2. It'll work fine, just not as ideal.

Why not buy like 6 yellow CFL's? 3000k...they are very cheap and you could easily get 250W worth...10 pack.

3. Just pick up some 2500-3000k CFLs to add to the MH.
    There really is a difference when it comes to spectrum vs. yield.

4. Yeah i could do that, but if i added that many lights, i would be pulling alot of ELectricity... im already pushing my limits, i dont want to pull to many amps and break my circuit.

5. yeah i would go with synned and blackjack...get some CFL's to either supplement or replace the MH. my suggestion is either buy 6 x 45w CFL's and ditch the MH, or get 2x45w CFL's to go along with the MH.

6. you wont get as much but it puts out more uv so you'll get danker nugs...=)

7. wont get as much as with a 250w hps* forgot to add that but like they're saying grab some cfls and not 3000k get 2700k its as close as you'll get to a hps which is 2100k and whatever you do don't just "ditch" the MH the hid will still pack on more then just straight cfls..... good luck

8. CFL= WAY TO LOW ON LUMENS, their is no way i would throw out my MH it puts out 20,000k lumens.. I dont think 6 cfls would be enough light.

9. Honestly from the reasearch ive done, its basically just a "theory" that if you use a yellow spectrum light like HPS, that it will yeild more. Thier is no proof, no facts. Its all about lumens, dont matter what color of light, the plant knows its the FALL because of the light cycle, not because of the color of light, regardless of the color the plant will flower.

• Like Like x 1
  10. yes, the plant will obviously still flower no matter what wavelength you use. but the wavelength will effect the outcome of flowering. HPS bulbs, larger yield. MH bulb, flame buds. to me it sounds like maybe a 250W MH would be a great addition to a flowering setup, but HPS is a must, at least more than MH