Flowering too slow?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by PurpAndSyrup, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Hey guys, I have some plants that are 5 weeks into flowering and they have budsites and small white fuzzy balls around the stem/branch area. I was expecting to see some buds by week 5 but so far they are really small and still developing. Is this normal or are my plants flowering really slow for some reason? I have 18 plants that are 3-4 ft. tall and I have them in a 8x6 area with 3 400W lights.

2. Pics or it didn't happen! Lol, j/k. But 5 weeks man? Unless it is a slow flowering sativa then that is unacceptable! Go sing to them or something.

Ok, for realz, what I would personally do is find a way to boost the P-K. Get some Mother of all Bloom or some other powdered P-K booster with crazy levels of it, and make sure you have good air flow/circulation at all times. Maybe get some kelp and earthworm castings and top dress ur soil.

This girl is at 3 weeks of flowering and u can see visible bud growth. Its Alaskan Thunderfuck, a sativa.

Attached Files:

3. The plants are White Widow, Super Hash, and White Rhino. Some of the plants are covered with budsites but they aren't filled up and the budsites are still small. I expected to see buds developed and have the plant covered with buds. I think I might change nutrients, the nutes I am currently feeding the plants is DynaGrow 7-9-5. Do you think I should change nutes? I had big expectations for this grow and being in week 5 of flowering and having "cotton ball" buds really makes me frustrated.

4. Try some bud blood. Speeds up the flowering cycle with good affects, but u put it in the 1st week with hydro and just the 1st day of flower with soil. So don't no what it will do with 5 weeks in too bloom! But ask your grow shop they should help u with that.

5. There has to be a reason for this. I have heard Widow can be a slow flowering plant, but I changed to 12/12 5 weeks ago. I understand some people say you need to wait until after the first week or two to start counting the days of flowering, but even if I take off 2 weeks to allow the plant to adjust and hit the flowering stage it still has been 3 weeks.

I think it is either because of the nutes I am feeding them? Possibly Dyna-Gro 7-9-5 is too much N for the plant during flowering, or possibly I am slightly over feeding them which is a possibility, but I am not overfeeding much. I give all the plants just over 1/2 tsp with every watering, so EOD. I have noticed some of the leaves were getting a dark green color and a leathery texture, but I have backed off the nutes and I am going to give them a couple waterings without the nutes.

Something is causing this slow flowering process. I have the "cotton ball" buds but that's it so far. I believe it may be too much Nitrogen.

6. Also, some of my budsites have are about 2 in. from the stem. They have grown a pretty long stem that is right above the stem of the fan leaves. If you don't understand, there is a stem that has grown right above the fan leaves stems and it extends about 2 in. out and has a budsite growing on the end with a "cotton ball" looking bud. Is that normal? The buds arent growing around the main stem, they are growing on the budsites that have grown off stems above the fan leaves.

7. How long did you veg? Thats aa normal budsite.. check your buds really well especially at the bottom of the plant.. look underneat at the bottom side of the bud for seeds.. one of mine did the same and i didnt even notice it was seeding out..

8. I vegged for a month. All the plants are def. female, they all have pistils and flowers developing around the main stem. It's normal for a budsite to do that though?

9. #9 hypercardriac, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2012
    Ya cause thats where the branches that bud come from.. mine were all frmales and one hermied.. i checked them everyday multiple times and never caught it.. one plant the buds just quit.. couldnt figure out why.. after a month and no change i cut it down.. full of seeds and you couldnt tell.. just something to check for.. do you have a thread for the grow? Some pics? What kind of lighting? Nutes sound fine but i wouldnt use it every watering... you can over P your plants as well.. the reach after the main stem before any bud is what has me thi nkin maybe seeds.. how many plants doin it?

10. Lots of possible reasons in stoned order ranging from:

1) It's normal for that phenotype - depending on the strain, if grown out from seeds you may or may not get a good yielder easily. Sometimes you have to grow many many seeds to find a big yielder or the one that leans more indica if it's a hybrid.

2) It's normal for that strain because it's actually a 12 or 14 weeker and not 8 weeker? (I don't know your strains off the top of my head but if they are hybrids with any amount of sativa in them they could have phenos that lean heavily sativa, or perhaps they are not as advertised).

3) Plants unhappy
    - Too cold to grow properly or too hot or too wide a temperature swing. Cold temps slow plants way the hell down.
    - Too little light - sounds like you have a lot but it's a common problem if light is too low and to be honest what you describe sounds exactly like the light is too low, yet you describe a lot of light so that's a bit of a mystery.
    - Any signs of visible unhappiness like nute burn from overfeeding or pale washout from underfeeding or ph lockout or overwatering droopiness or underwatering wiltedness that persist are going to slow it down as well.
    - Bad light leaks maybe
    - Any of many other types of stress in unusual amounts.

11. Cold temps would explain the leather too, but i would slow down to nutes every third or every other at least.. needing water every couple days? How high are the lights from the canopy? 15 to 18 in?

12. The lights are just above 10 in. from the top of the plants. The temp does get in the upper 80's and down to around 70 at night. That shouldn't be the problem.

13. Id move them babys up about 6 to 8 in.. do you have a fan blowing over the canopy or on the lights? Thats a pretty good gap in temp, but its the highs that are concerning.. lows are great... highs a bit high.. is that the temp at the canopy? Lots of factors

14. I guessed right. I totally overnutted these bad boys. I was using Earth Juice and switched to the Dyna-Gro 7-9-5 liquid Grow. When I switched nutes, the plants were just going onto the 4th week of flowering and looking good but still growing somewhat slow. Luckily, I only have used the Dyna-Gro nutes with 2 waterings. But, I guess those 2 waterings I used way too much nutes and the plants didn't like it! Some of the fan leaves have slight nute burn on the upper leaves of the plant.

15. Dyna-Gro 7-9-5 is not a flowering nutrient. A flowering nutrient will have twice the amount of P than N...Other factors that slow the flowering process is the ph....

16. What would you recommend I get as a flowering nutrient? I don't have alot of cash to spend on a bottle of nutes either.

17. Dyna gro has flowering nutrients...Foliage-Pro 9-3-6
    If your medium is coco I hear of problems with dyna gro, but can't confirm that.
    Another inexpensive nutrient I have used with soil/coco is maxibloom...GENERAL HYDROPONICS: MaxiBloom
    Maxibloom is granular and you will need to dissolve in warm water and shaking till dissolved.

If you live in the usa I can supply a couple places to buy...

18. So called "Bloom boosters" are simply a way for fertilizer companies to sell more bottles. Period.

19. Maxibloom. Can't be beat on a budget and works.

20. Maxibloom is used for veg and flowering using the K.I.S.S. method. This method is as close as you can get to the lucas formula....
    I highly recommend this method and adding liquid koolbloom in early flowering and switching to granual koolbloom in later flowering and is especially a good nutrient using coco coir medium...

A 2 lb bag for 10-12$ will last several grows. For about 30$ in nutrients/supplements you will have everything the plant needs.....