Flowering plant back to Veg. ?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ratatata, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Hey all!

I have 4 babies growing in soil. They are from seeds I've taken from a bag I smoked. I was wondering if it's possible to put them under 12/12 early, like 1 week (or maybe 2) then once they flower get rid of males and put the ladies back under 24/7.

Would this return them to veg. state? What effects would it have on the plant, if any? What will happen to the pistil tips? If the flower tips delay a bit and I'm late for 24/7, would it mean "past the point of no return"?

any input will be much appreciated :wave:

2. please search before posting questions like this. there is plenty of information on this topic.

3. I know man, I've read a lot around this forum, I even remember reading about this very topic too, just can't be sure. Thing is I'm not asking for easy info but how do you search for this anyways? I've tried and got tons of unrelated topics (veg-flower kind of words are present in almost every topic, and I assume there is no technical term for "starting flowering and then turning back to veg.")

So, once again, any short answer I can count on will be much appreciated.

4. reveg? it's not the best thing to do but can be done. if you can clone, just take a clone of the plant and flower it. that will tell you if your plant is male/female, without the stress of going to flower mode then back to veg mode. but if not, go ahead and flower to show sex then go back, it will take a while to revert back to veg so growth will be slow.

5. I guess I can't take clones from a young plant and waiting beats the whole purpose. Well I have 1-2 weeks to decide.. thanks for the input :smoke:

6. if you can do it good, taking a clone and flowering that will take less time than flowering your plant, then reverting back to veg, and the whole time you clone and flower that clone, your mother plants will still be vegging. so your not loosing anytime what so ever.

7. re veg is not problem at all, simple flick of the timer

8. it would proboally create hermies...thats my guess i wouldnt recommend doing it at all

9. not very common. but it can. and thats why i suggested flowering a clone of the plant, so you dont run any risk of a hermie.

10. Oh, OK.

Then I agree with the general advice that yes, it can be done, but preferred method would be to take a clone and flower it to determine sex while the main plant continues to veg (e.g. develop more bud sites). Just be sure to label which clone came from which plant!

11. yea

I decided to go the clone way since it seems the most logical way. Normally I wouldn't be so worried about it but I'm growing in a small space with limited resources so I don't wanna waste anything on males. Thanks all for the answers:wave:

12. good luck man!! fingers crossed for females.