Flowering My Bathtub Batch - 1rst grow CFL

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by docmojoman, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Okay, I know this is a continuation of my journal Bathtub Batch - 1rst grow CFL, but most heads around here are mainly interested in the flowering part of a grow!:wave: I also ended up getting really inspired by DrBudGreengenes SOG methods. So in a way, since I've changed my grow methodology, this is a new grow!

So, basically, I have 12 plants that I put in to flower under a custom cfl hood with 6 42w 2700k and 2 27w 6500k.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Some pics from day 2

Attached Files:

3. you should take a pic of underneath that hood u made =]

4. #4 docmojoman, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2009

Sure ting mon!

Attached Files:

5. Hi there nice setup i am looking at doing just about the same thing.

Are u using all the same lights for the veging all the way till harvesting?

I'm looking at growing 5 big and healthy plants..

6. Nope! That's what I like about the cfls. Because they are individually cheap, I was able to start small and keep adding on as time went by. I started out with 2 2' T8s for my seedlings while I had the 6 42w 2700k cfls and 2 27w 6700k cfls which I was intending on veging and then flowering under - but, I found a sale at Target or Home Depot and was able to pick up 4 20w 6500k and 2 23w 2700k cfls which I used to create this hood (pic attached) for vegging!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here is the post on the subject: Ho' made veg hood

7. My temps get down to 67F when the lights go off in my box - so I have had to get up and turn the exhaust fans down to their lowest setting every morning. I was wondering if it is necessary to have the exhaust fans going at all when the lights are off?

My box is 2x3x4.5 and I do have fans inside keeping the air circulating.

8. Well it is 3:15am on my 6th day of 12/12 flowering - I can't stand the suspense! Can't wait to see those sex pistils!

9. If you had used bud blood you could have seen sex by now.

You still won't see for a couple days. Anywhere from one to five days.

don't wait for them, they will be a surprise. :p

10. Bud Blood, eh. I'll look into that one!

I am growing in FFOF and was told that I shouldn't use nutes for at least 4 weeks, so I started using a very weak veg nute at week 3 and I didn't start using my flowering nutes until yesterday (about 5-6 days into 12/12).

11. Darrrgh! THE plant I wanted most to be a girl was the first to show sex and she's a HE:(!

I know this is my first grow and I have never actually seen a male or a female mj plant before - but I am pretty sure this is a dude - look how he's packin' - can't fool me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. :rolleyes: yeah, it sucks doesn't it. I know the feeling, same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago, when I found out the plant I liked the most turned out to be a male.:devious: Well the boys usually show their sex first. From 9 plants I vegged for my first grow, I ended up with 1 male and 1 hermie, so thats not a bad ratio at all. :hello: Sending female vibes your way, hope you get some beautiful potent girls. :smoking:

13. Maybe I missed the post so sorry in advance.....but just curious as to what strains your growing? Love the hood btw!

14. BeesKnees - I'm growing bag seed. I sprouted 3 seeds from some that I put away in 2000, the other 7 are from a pretty good bag I got earlier this year.

BloodyTreez - Thanks for the luv vibes - I need them!

I think I have spotted 3 females tonite, but I am not sure! I will have to give them a day or two before I can take a decent photo - the signs I am seeing are probably too small to shoot with my camera.:hello:

15. Turns out that I have 5 confirmed females and 2 confirmed males. I chopped the two males (sob). In case you weren't up on this grow, I started with a dozen plants 10 from some recent stank bud I had recently and two from the year 2000.

One of the y2k's was one of the confirmed males - I have my finger crossed for the remaining one! I am guessing that the other 4 unconfirmed are probably female. Why you ask? I believe I have feminzed bag seed! I think these seeds are from self pollinated herms.

I'll try and take some pics of my girls, but I think my camera might not be up to the task!

16. Yay! My other y2k weed is a confirmed female! What a relief! I'm hopin' it is some of that Chocolate Thai that I used to get ahold of back then!

17. I know my pictures don't really show any flowering - my cam isn't the greatest! Today was also water day, so my babies are lookin' kinda droopy - don't mind them!

Attached Files:

18. Some one likes Zazz seltzer!!!!! Plants are looking good!!!!!

19. Well, at under $1.00 per liter bottle (I think it was 2 fer $! - not sure right now), it was a no brainer!

I had already bought a bunch of 10" square pots from the hydro store, before I read DrBudGreengenes: Compact - Floro + No Contact with a Grow store=3/4oz or more per week!! which inspired me to switch to 1 liter bottles for my grow. One of the reasons for the switch was his watering method which in theory adds fresh air to the root system.

The watering process goes like this:
    - take a slightly larger container - I use the top to a bulk cd pack.
    - fill it with your water solution
    - sit each liter bottle pot into the container
    - wait for water to reach at least a couple of cm's above the soil level
    - keep there until there are no more air bubbles appearing
    - remove from solution and let drain

This process forces all the old stale air out of the soil and when you lift the pot out, the rapidly draining water draws fresh air down into the soil! (picture attached).

BTW - The pots are 1 liter bottles with the top cut off and 10 1/4" holes drilled into the very bottom.

Attached Files:

20. Oh yeah, thanks BeeKnees for the luv! My babies are really taking off! The white hairs are showing through the tops! I feel like an expectant mother!