Flowering mother..wtf??

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by questionable cultivar, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Hey gang, 
    \nSo I've been growing a Berry White strain for three months now, and last week I noticed that it was starting to flower. At first it was mostly observable in the lower branches, and being a robust plant, I assumed it just wasn't getting enough light down low, but after shifting the plant to expose more light to the lower half, the flowering didn't stop, in fact, it became observable in the upper portions as well that are clearly receiving ample light. Now, it's been a little over a week since I noticed flowering and all but the tops of the upper branches are budding. I have verified that these plants are receiving 16 hrs of light/day. 
    \nStrain: I believe the parents of this strain are white widow x blueberry. 
    \nSource: I bought the original as a clone from a dispensary. After flowering it for a month, I took a few clones, rooted them and reverted them back to vegetation phase. This mother that I speak of is one of those offspring. I will try contacting the dispensary to see if they know about the genetics of this variety, maybe it has ruderalis in it's DNA? That's about the only logical thing I can come up with. 
    \nAnybody have any experience with this?  I would love some positive feedback.
    \nMuch appreciated,
    \nQC

Attached Files:

2. I wouldn't worry too much. They're most likely "pre-flowers". All canna will pre-flower if you veg' them for a long enough period of time. Three months is definitely long enough, even for a sativa.

3. I thought pre-flowers were only located at the nodes and not at the apical meristem as seen here. Am I wrong about this?

4. You have very random words underlined lol

This is true.  But we're talking a 3 MONTH old sativa.  What is the apical meristem, other than growth that is going to produce more branching/nodes?

To be honest, I've never been in a situation like this.  I don't keep mother plants.  But any canna' plant left in veg' for three months is BOUND to start showing sex.  It is what it is.

6. You got nothing to worry about, I've got a plant growing right now (grapefruit, sativa dominant) that's been vegging for the same time, 3-4 months or so, and the preflowers are more pronounced than yours are, and have been for about a month. The plant won't actually start to bud until I lower the photoperiod to 12 hours, but I was also quite surprised when I saw how many preflowers I got during veg. I believe it's a sativa trait, since I have far more experience with indica and haven't seen anything like it.

7. That's very encouraging news. Much appreciated folks. Happy New Year, wish I could twist one up for ya!

8. You mean you're not going to? Did you think these responses were free? It looks to me like you owe Morange one Doobies and Waktoo two doobies...

J

9. Then by that rational, I've got you down for a roach  :wave: 

10. #10 tdf, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2014
    I have seen many mother plants begin to autoflower after 4 to 6 months time. Variety, phenotype it all makes a difference. To learn more go to "Marijuana Mother Plants the Basics and Beyond" at growingorganicmarijuana.com