Flowering light

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TaDow, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Will this one be enough to flower both 28 inch plants?

Attached Files:

2. #2 GoldGrower, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2015

no, not really. But that's not the main issue here.

68 watts will illuminate at area of about 1 square foot just barely.

CFLs produce low intensity light and so need to be kept within 4" of the leaf surface.

Most growers accomplish this by tying down the tall branches to match the height of the shorter ones (LST). This creates a thick and even canopy so you can position the CFLs within a few inches of it.

Your plants aren't trained at all so trying to position one bulb within a few inches of the whole plant would prove difficult. Two plants, would be impossible.
    Use your 68w bulb, but also use the bulbs you have in the photo too, and buy more bulbs. The 68w bulb is a good one, the more watts you have, the more bud you will get

3. The ones in the pic are 5000k and doing great with veg. I don't have true 100 watt so aside from the wattage issue am I correct using 2700k for flowering?

4. yeah but the wattage is more important than the spectrum as far as growth goes.

5. yes, but colour really isn't very important. It's the amount of light that makes the difference, so use all the CFLs that you can

6. No, no they aren't "doing great". They are stretched and have wide node gaps due to not having near enough light. They will suffer even more in flower from lack of lighting. 68w is no where near enough to get anything decent off of two plants.

7. Well I'm doing the best I can and with what my funds allow. I added more cfl to the middle. This is my first grow and like many first timers I'm growing bag seed. I'm not expecting them to be all that great and surprised to have brought them this far. I'm on the gulf coast and have to be careful. Can't flower in my house so I turned one of my sheds into a finishing room. Trying to beat the cold so I plan to switch soon. Thanks for your time guys

8. If I'm you and I'm working solely with what you have. I'd go with that 68W bulb and hang it over the top of the two plants. Take the four Lights you have on top now and lower them on the sides. Here's a half assed drawing. Get as much light to each bud site as you can and hope you beat the cold. Good luck man.[​IMG]

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1383387-2-Bagseed-Northern-Lights-Auto-250w-CFL

9. Cool bro thanks. I'll get more sockets and try it. Should I use the same setup for flowering?
    Here's what I came up with so far

Attached Files:

10. It's my first time too, may I suggest cause I'm using cfl too. Funds low for me. This is my set up. Working great I think to me. She is 3 weeks. The other is 1 and a half. I'm using a carbon filter air purifier for smell when it comes. 3 100 watt cfls, two x box fans for ventilation. Temp stays 76 to 80. Always cold or hot out.

Attached Files:

11. I would. Just switch out the bulbs for 2700k. You could even do a mixed spectrum and just add a few of those 68w 2700k bulbs.

I will say this though, after you've spent all the money to get all the CFLs and splitters and clamp hoods. You could have bought a 300w led and doubled your weight. I know your beginning and that's cool for now, but just food for thought. Wish I would have done it.

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1383387-2-Bagseed-Northern-Lights-Auto-250w-CFL

12. The cfls should only be a few inches away unless you're encouraging stretching. The bigger one looks like the cfls are way too far away

This is the sort of distance that you're looking for, 3 inches max

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443844494.784799.jpg

13. Any closer and the leaves scorch. They're all no more than 3in from touching

14. That's a good idea Tony thanks. I'll look into that. I started out with some weak LEDs that's why they're so stretched out.

15. I flowered my first two under 12 cfls. Got a 400w hps now and no looking back. The cfls will work but if you plan on much growing I suggest getting some real grow lights.

16. Cfl's won't give you the kind of growth a hid will. My first grows looking great with the mh/hps, wouldn't have it any other way..

17. That's interesting, stretch is no bueno in my neck of the woods. If CFLs have taught me anything its that you want those nodes tight. Maybe I'll still supplement with CFLs to keep the stretch minimal. I think I do remember hearing LEDs stretch now that you mention it.

18. It's no good here but I was working with a 15 watt panel. It's cool to look at while stoned but no good for tight growth. After these 2 are done I'm switching to LED but keeping the cfl to supplement

19. Any suggestions on how to arrange the lights I added?

Attached Files: