Florida decides to ban bong sales

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by JordanXX3, Apr 4, 2013.

1. http://www.theweedblog.com/florida-bans-sale-of-bongs-while-medical-marijuana-bill-stalls/
    Come on florida tighten up

Florida Bans Sale Of Bongs While Medical Marijuana Bill Stalls
    Published on April 3rd, 2013
    Written by: Johnny Green
    Next
    Prev

Florida, a state in which self-defense with a gun is legal, has passed a bill banning all sales of bongs, pipes, and any marijuana-related paraphernalia. Because even though 7/10 Floridians favor medical marijuana, the state’s constituency has decided it’s better to ban bongs than allow patients safe access to medicine.

So meanwhile, while 18 states (plus D.C.), have medical marijuana, Florida’s bill can’t even get a legitimate hearing and has hit a stale-mate.

Shame on us as a Legislature for not taking the opportunity to hear this bill this year,” House bill sponsor Rep. Katie Edwards (D-Plantation) said at a press conference on Monday.

Edwards introduced the bill after getting sick herself last year and speaking with cancer patients about how marijuana alleviated their suffering.

“I thought, ‘these are real people,’” Edwards told ABC Action News, “and I cannot turn a blind eye and stick my head in the sand and pretend like it’s not happening, because it is.”

The bill is named for Cathy Jordan who has been suffering from Lou Gehrig’s disease since 1986.

In February, the Manatee County Sheriff’s Department staged an armed raid on the Jordans’ home, seizing 23 marijuana plants, including two mature plants Cathy was using to treat her symptoms.

Opponents like Rep. Jimmy Patronis (R-Panama City) think Cathy and other Floridians needing marijuana for medical reasons should move to a state where it’s legal, reports the News Herald.

Meanwhile an Orlando-based Democratic fundraiser John Morgan is focusing on collecting the 700,000 signatures required to get a constitutional amendment legalizing medical marijuana on the ballot in November 2014.

Patients in Florida like Jordan suffering and resorting to pills to help their illnesses will now go without legal medicinal marijuana for the foreseeable future. In the backwards state of Florida-where the Trayvon Martin shooting was technically “legal”-you can fire a gun if you interpret an intruder as a menace. But if you buy a ROOR, you’re a criminal. And that’s the real crime.

Source: Marijuana.Com

Categories: Ending Marijuana Prohibition, Medical Marijuana Policy
    Tags: bongs, florida, medical marijuana bill
    Share Article Save to Instapaper
    Next
    Prev

2. Yeah I heard about this on the news. Such bullshit man. I knew already in Polk county that selling any glass or pipes is illegal but now the whole damn state.. They need a slap in the face.

3. Damn that's definitely a step in the wrong direction

4. Every independently owned convenience store I go in has a case of weed and other drug paraphernalia...this is just more BS to convince the fringe that lawmakers are actually doing something....remember Freedom Fries?

5. Fuck that

6. The store has to claim 75% in sales of tobacco in order to sell these pipes. The way around this is charge $125 for a gram of tobacco and get a free top of the line bong.

7. dont be surprised.....its all about 1 of 2 things..controlling money/power, (one in the same imo..., or can be),...or some kind of moral "last stance" of sorts...the money thing is understandable, people want it and will do whatever to try and get and control it...the moral thing is a bit different...these same people..most good, average people..feel its morally wrong...idk..i dont see the difference between using THC or a pill..they are both "drugs" or chemical compounds....once both sides of that argument figure this out, many more states will start passing that bill...it'll be a ban wagon thing before long...

8. On second thought, who fucking cares? We still got a head shop in Grasscity! Use the promo codes people!

9. How can I not be surprised who the fuck bans bongs that's just stupid we buy it and the government gets money now the government don't get shit from fl in bong sales both the people and government is at loss I'm upset because I still don't even own a bong I'm not too mad tho as long as rolling papers don't get banned

10. People In Florida care..

11. Wouldn't surprise me at all if you aren't allowed to ship them into Florida either...

The opposition is starting guys, with all the recent progress with marijuana we are going to see a lot of people pulling to either side instead of being stuck in the middle. People against it know it is coming sooner rather than later, so now it is their time to boost restrictions to stop the spread the thought that marijuana isn't as bad as the gov say it is.

12. From what I understand you can still sell bongs in Florida so long as 75% of sales come from tobacco. Still fucked up, but still legal to posses to smoke "tobacco" out of.

13. #13 Stormy Sea, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    It's okay guys, calm down.

I live in Alaska, not Florida.

S'all good.

(PS: Has anyone considered that this new bill isn't to stop weed at all (as they are still selling the glass if you read carefully) but instead to increase tobacco sales? Because everyone knows legalization'll happen eventually, they might as well make as much money as they can until then, right?)

(I say this because lots of weed smokers don't smoke cigs, but if they're forced to buy tobacco so they have something to smoke their weed with, they might start smoking the waccy-baccy too! Then they're a customer for life, right?)

14. #14 JordanXX3, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2013
    The government is corrupt they want us to smoke tabacco they just want money this is deffiently a few steps backwards but it's not gonna stop any stoner in Florida from smoking there weed at all, happy toking

15. Yep, I'm in Florida and I smoke joints...laws being the way they are, I don't like having paraphernalia around anyway....

16. Living in Florida, it's not the fact that it's harder for us to buy pipes and bongs that pisses us off, this is just such a gigantic step in the WRONG way. Man :(

17. +!

i just have some "essentials" i keep all in the SAME spot...i try to avoid the stoner black hole of "where's my shit" at all times...luckily my mrs. don't smoke at all so she can help jog the short term memory at times.

18. Same here I stick with joints it's still bs tho

19. 70% of Floridians polled said they support Medical Marijuana, yet;

The Cathy Jordan Medical Cannabis Act dies in committee (like the last time) and they ban bongs....YUP just like everyone said, step in the WRONG direction.

20. What's really funny is how tobacco kills and the stores can sell bongs if they make 75% sales in tobacco....... good luck dieing smoking weed out of a bong...

People should catch on to that.... 'it'll be ok to sell bongs if you're contributing to helping raise the risk of cancer/dieing'