flood and drain question

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by irishboy, Nov 24, 2011.

1. i am about to set up a 2'x4' flood tray. i will be using 3 gal air pots fill with Hydroton. this is my 1st time going full hydro and i was wondering how many times a day should i flood my clones? during the small veg stage and during flowering when they get their? i know their are allot of condition's but just a basic rule of thumb please?

ive been told to never flood at lights off is this true?

PH whats ideal for flood and drain with Hydroton? i was planing around 5.8-6.0

any advise would be great

2. I flood every 2 hours for 16mins... I use a industrial timer that has 16mins as the min...

I don't flood in the dark to prevent mold...

5.8 is best... try to keep it close...

:cool:

3. Twice a day with hydroton and 4 inch cubes . In a natural ebb and flow it floods twice a day due to the tide I beileve

4. thanks i was thinking about 4 times a day, so every 3hrs in flower.

i am going to veg with a 20/4 light time so should i flood every 5hrs for 5x a day or is that too much for baby clones?

i will be 100% in hydroton

Benderbob the every two hours in flower mainly or is that with young clones in veg also?

5. Some say water by hand till it's a bit developed , I've heard of freshly planted clones being washed away

6. From beginning to end....;) I have Never had root rot or seen a down side to this....

7. thanks guys.

i was thinking of running a consent drip system instead of the flood and drain but have decided yet. i can see pros and cons on both

8. I Flood every 4 hours during the day, and once at night. I don't think flooding at night is a problem at all, if your plants healthy.

People always say, your should find what works good for you. But it may take months to find that, if I every find it.

So Start with every 4 hours, and you will be safe.