Flood and drain question

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by ZGCali, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Hello everyone. I have been building my own flood and drain grow room and have a question about the reservoir. For space reasons I can't put the flood tray above the reservoir. So I decided to get a 66 gallon barrel reservoir that will go next to the flood tray. I have made a drainage hole and attached tubing to it and I want it to drain back into the reservoir. Since gravity can't really do it on its own, how can I have the tray drain the extra water/nutrient solution back to the reservoir? I can upload some pictures if that would be helpful. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Have it drain to a small sump container, that will have a sump pump with a float switch in it.
    That sump pump will then pump the nutes back to the large res. 

3. Hello crankz1. Thank you for your reply. To clarify, The tubing connected to the drainage hole will lead to the sump container. Then the sump pump will be submersed in the container and pumping it back to the main reservoir.

4. Correct. 

5. #5 crankz, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2015
    I would use a pump in the sump that flows at a similar rate to your flood pump. 
    You don't want any backups and subsequent mess...
    Possibly even a high level limit switch, to kill the flood pump in the event that the sump were to overfill for whatever reason. 

6. Ahh it all makes sense now. Thank you so much crankz1!

7. Yeah, a control bucket would work also. 

8. The controller seems like it will be very convenient. Would it control the whole pump system from the main reservoir and the additional sump bucket or just the sump bucket to pump the drainage back to the main reservoir?

9. No sump would be required with a control bucket.
    Might be a good idea to search YouTube for some videos on e/f systems with controller. 

10. Alright sounds good. Thank you both for the help.

11. If that doesn't prove to be helpful, come on back and I'm sure someone will break it all down for you. 

12. Alright will do.