FLIR : Can it detect my plants?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Matrixx J, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Lately I've been noticing more and more helicopters flying over the area. I really have no idea if any of them have FLIR or are even looking for marijuana plants but I am getting a little bit freaked out. I notice them at all times of the day, I even saw one around an hour ago (3 am here). I have 3 plants in the ground in my garden as well as another 2 in pots. Am I actually at any kind of risk of being found out or am I just completely paranoid? I have heard conflicting information about FLIR on these forums and I just wanted to know once and for all if plants can actually be detected or if it is just grow lights. Thanks.

Oh and if it matters, my plants are only around 3 weeks old.

2. They can only used evidence gathered from that kind of technology if there is an active search warrant in place.

3. FLIR detects heat, and is only really useful for spotting suspicious sheds venting large amounts of heat etc.

The thing to worry about are Hyperspectral cameras, cameras designed to detect a specific wavelength of light reflected from a source, and match that with a database.
    Different species of plants have pretty unique "signatures" that can mean a Cannabis plant can be detected in a field of plants that look identical in color to the human eye.

Oh, there are also Hyperspectral cameras in orbit as well, you know, just to make me paranoid :eek:

4. I sometimes observe my leaves through a spectroscope in order to determine the ratio of NPK present in a particular leaf. Then I move it back and fourth real quick and get the whole red shift/blue shift thing going.

Trippy man......

5. Yea like joe said, flir is for sensing heat, although choppers will look for outdoor crops during the day, if you only have 2-3 mixed in with a garden or bushes or something youre probably fine. they are usually looking for patches in rural/farm areas. Actually a friend of mine got his take by police and they were in an open sunny spot in a forest acres away from paths... they seen from the chopper the grid formation that he planted them in. Not smart, but you learn from you mistakes hehe.

6. When a Police sniffer dog is placed outside of a Nightclub, and used to bust people coming in and out of it, it isn't the result of a warrant to search the Club, or individual warrants to search the patrons, it's simply a policy that's been given the thumbs up by a Police commissioner, or police minister.

Hyperspectral imaging to detect Illegal plantations is exactly the same.

7. Yup especially if the evidence, of any kind, is in plain sight... or if its not enough for a warrant its enough for them to start watching you. ie. a heated shed is enough for them to start watching you.. seeing you walk into your back yard with lights and or ferts could be enough for a warrant combined with that.

8. so in other words without artificial light no they cant see it pot and a pine tree are same temp whatever the temp is outside

9. I don't believe Hyperspectral cameras can work at night, or through cloud/smoke, and no, FLIR cameras can't tell the differnce between plants, they're just used to detect heat sources like extraction fans exhuasts and unusually hot rooms/structures.

10. thats wat i said,and wouldn flir b considered a hyperspectral camera

11. That's what you said.

12. k glad we got tha straighten ou fel like burnin one? sorry been smokin this wasabe hash and it murders my brain cant spell half afraid to drive this shit def60% if i was a bettin man

13. Hyperspectral cameras can detect energy from a large bandwidth of the electromagnetic spectrum where as thermal cameras are detecting energy from a very narrow band of the spectrum (just infrared), so they're not really the same.

Now lets all Burn a bowl and imagine how Rad being the predator would actually be :cool:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u8vZwvP57Y]YouTube - Predators Trailer[/ame]

14. #14 BROWNTOWN, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2010
    yeah but remember predator would switch to infared ,an shit as well.that trailer loks fat only thing is not only the kickass camo,and weapons but they hafta be 8 foot tall as well so its like a bear with a ak47

15. Also a little helping hand in fear of your heli's just flying around. Think of your jurisdiction in general , is it crime ridden and really into the drug trade that you have busts on a monthly basis? or more of a quiet town but some small drug trade and grow ops. The thing is IT costs money - a shitload of money for a heli to be flying around for a few hours with a full crew and with thermal cameras, spectral or any other type of camera. You can just avoid detection if you blend in your plants pretty well just as anyone else says :D. But enjoy your toking, but i do acknowledge your fear of heli's since you can really never tell what they are doing.

16. No the they cant find the plant itself with the FLIR. The choppers that look for plants are using their naked eyes to find the crops. The only thing FLIR is good for is finding indoor grow ops, however it can be used to find the circular holes people dig into the forest floor because most of the time the soil people put into the holes is going to be rich with nutrients making the soil warmer.

Like i said they use their eyes and its very hard to spot MJ plants if they are in patches of 5-8 or less as long as its not in an area that they stick out like a sore thumb. Plant near anything that is going to stay green all year like berry bushes and so on. If your using pots, a perfect spot is in an area with small pine trees, dont top your plant and by fall it will look just like one of the trees.

Unless the chopper has a Tip that you are growing you shouldnt have any problems with them finding your plants, its alot harder than you think. Imagine staring down in the forest all day as your moving at a decent speed. Your eyes would get very bugged out after a while i imagine. Needless to say...they find most of their spots on tips from informants and so forth.