Flip Flop Box

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by gonejah17, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Anyone familiar with these?? Im thinking of doing it in the future and I figured Id post a thread to see if anyone has any idea what these are or has any experience with them.

Any info or links on flip flop boxes would be sweet :D:wave:

2. Damn, almost 30 views and no responses, damn GC :confused:

3. What the hell is it?

4. he wants a box that will put power from the ballast to the lightbulbs into 1 grow chamber, then after 12 hours flip to the other grow chamber.

IMO just get another light set up and put them in th same chamber 12/12, your plants will benifit from having two light sources for 12 hours more than just 1.

the benifit of the extra light will make the cost of the extra ballast worth it, and the electrical pull will be close to the same.

5. Lol! No kidding? That is funny.

6. With two cabs on 12/12 Im thinking I can stagger two harvests (say two plants each), 30 days apart and always have buds flowering.

Ill find the link where I read about this shit I think its an awesome idea . . .

Not sure what ur getting at Mord but Ill reread ur post, Im not looking for two lights at once I want one ballast hooked to two bulbs flipping back and forth 12 hours in two seperate cabs. PPL do it and I think itd be awesome to build one and it would alow me to have a perpetual harvest.

{EDIT} MORD I just dont think Im understanding what you mean, ur saying two ballasts, two bulbs in one cab??

7. You need me to loan you some cash to buy another ballast? I bet you have three extra ones laying around.:rolleyes:

8. No thats not my point, I dont want to run another ballast, I DO have a Hydrofarm 400W light setup just sitting in storage but It will save space and be much cleaner to have the one ballast going to a wall mounted relay and then out to two bulbs, . . . .
    And the shit would be cool to build.

You know what I think Ill just build it and we'll see whatsup with it, Ill be hittin u up w questions since I know nothing about wiring really. You know anything about relays??

I need to sketch out what I want to do and Ima get to it

What would be dope would be ONE Cab with 2 HPS flip flopping AND one micro mom chamber with a 175W MH, which I DO have a ballast for.

lol Im doin to much but u gave me this building bug we should seriously make the ultimate cab man, Ill get the supplies u help with the plans lol:D

9. i will cutom build any power board or flip to your specs. 10ballast flip 550 plus shipping and handling. I am a certified electrician p.s dont ask me how to build one

10. lol dog y cant I ask u theres DIYs all over the place.

I only need a simple relay switch or something like that I think, lol not 10 ballasts I only need to switch between two 400w bulbs.

Id love to discuss tho - if you wish to spread knowledge and not horde it maybe we can work something out.

Got any pics of shit you've built??

11. a 20A DPDT contactor and a time delay (interval) relay, put in an enclosure w/ventlilation
    (the contactor will get hot! and fail after a yr or so - the HID bulb voltage is over the contactor rating)

if the above is unclear, get an electrician to help you

12. thanks man. see?? thats love :D + rep

13. +rep for building something different man. Good luck to you, keep us updated on the progress. :smoke:

14. my point is especialy valid if your only thinking about flowering 4 plants or so.. you need 1 flowering area with 2 lights, that way the plants will get more light (the way buds get big is light btw.. :p ) and you just run the traditional 12/12 and just stick plants in there 30 days apart or w/e if you want to stagger them, you'll save space, you'll get more light per plant (very important!) and its less complicated did i mention it takes up less space?

your idea is cool, but it seems more suited to someone who wants to spread their power consumption over the entire day, and for a smaller grow like your trying to do it's effort that could be better spent else where, IMO.

15. Ok thats a better explanation of what ur saying, and yes I understand buds like light :D. I dont have a cab that size tho, one big enough to fit two lights in. I can barely fit one cool tube in the big cab I have. Wish I had as much space to dedicate to my op as you do but Im in a shitty little apt in socal lol not the Alaskan Wilderness :D.

Im still thinking about what I want to do exactly. I got a lot going on right now but always thinking of the future.

btw running two lights would also 800w goin on and off every 12 hours as opposed to 400W staying constantly on with the flip flop. Im still thinking tho

16. thanks for the rep man, always appreciated

17. you gotta flip that light and stick another one in it, you could grow some monster shit with 2x400w in that cab, you wouldnt have that dark spot in the screen either!.

seriously, you gotta change the way that light is facing

18. You want it perpindicular to the cab?? Its growing them pretty well man but either way I dont even think it would fit that way. Im just doing it the way I see rumple does w his tube and everyone else is doing it in these cabs w cool tubes that Ive seen. But Im always trying to improve my op so if you have a viable idea let er rip :D

Im still not tooooo comfortable with the 800W cuz I run a studio too so . . .

19. perp yeah! you might have to build your own vented reflecter or something, but even just 1 bulb in that space needs to be turned, the foot print of the light is all wrong how its set up right now