Fish Tank

Discussion in 'General' started by ripcurl15, Sep 23, 2005.

1. I'm thinkin about starting a bad ass fish tank in my room maybe 15 or so gallons i'm like to have a bunch of fish in theremaybe 7+ Can anybody give me some info on some good tank choices i'd like to get one that comes with everything( filters and Air system) Money isn't 2 much of an object i'd like to be set up wiht a nice tank and all the shit for maybe $350? I dont know if $350 is resonable, but i could get a 25 gallon tank with eclipse filtration systems and airation for $160 at petco. com good deal? any input would be awsome thanks guys cant wake 2 toke up wiht my fish by my side! oh, p.s. i'm a total newb when it comes to fish. thanks alot bladez and bladies Much Love form the east coast!

2. all i know is you shouldnt have to spend even near to 350 to get something like that.

3. I kept fish for a long time when I lived in apartments since they were the only pets I could have. You can find good deals in the trading post but I would buy at least one small set up from either a pet store or someplace like walmart. I started with a 20 gallon tall tank. It had a Whisper filter system,heater, bubble bar,hood and light and some conditioning chemicals for the water. I had to buy decorations,gravel and stand. It was about $100 but that was like 15 years ago.
    Now you can get some really nice systems for around $100. They make some really good ones called Eclips. Super super quiet and they are designed really nice. They cost around $100 depending on what they come with and what you get to go in them.

I would stick to a community tank to learn with. A community tank is a tank of fish that are non-aggressive. Mollies,tetras ect. Barbs,chiclids,oscars, jack dempseys and convicts are all considered aggressive and will pick at each other and kill other fish. Some pet stores mark their tanks so you know but I would always ask and make sure. It sucks to put alot of money into fish only to have one kill the others off.
    You'll also want to set your tank up and let it run a couple days to let stuff like chlorine evaporate. It causes less stress on your fish when you do put them in.
    Salt water tanks are beautiful but you need skill first because they can be sensitive to changes in temp and PH. Plus the fish are extremly expensive.

Good luck and make sure you shop around.

4. Back again, Here is a shopping list.

You'll need an aquarium,glass ir acrylic
    a filtration system
    a heater
    thermometer
    a hood and light tube (I recomend fourescent)
    if you want bubbles you'll need a small pump and bubble stones or bars
    tubbing for said bubble stones
    gravel
    decorations like plastic plants and castles
    water conditioner

Most of the things listed will tell you what size they are and what size tank they go with.
    Like a heater will say it heats up to a 30 gallon tank ect.

Hope that helps.

5. i got a fish tank in my room and i rip gravity bongs in it

6. Doesnt sound healthy for the fish. do i know you? casey?

7. haha lol word up dude i do the same thing :) +rep

8. Yeah that sounds about right if they come with the filter and light. You'll still need a heater. Fish get very sick with some weird assed diseases if their water isn't right.

Fin rot mmmmmmm yummy.

I wanna see your tank when you get it done.

9. I would also start with a community tank first, plus u want a lot of fish for a small aquarium which isn't the best but can get away with it in a community..
    350.00 is not too much for a fully setup tank.. I guess I am the crazy one, spending about 2000.00 prob more :\ and what to show for it.. a unstocked tank.

[​IMG]
    nah.. this is just a old pic. somewhat stocked now with a lot more rock..

10. what I want to know is, how would my lighting system do.. for growing:devious:
    camera is not picking the light well, but it is very intense, blinds me
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    4 55watt power compacts 1 HQI 10K Halide

11. naa my names brian

12. Hey when I was at Walmart tonight I found a kit that has everything you'll need in a 55 gallon tank. Hood, bulbs,heater,the whole nine yards. It was $160. All you would need would be a stand,(which they also sell)decorations,and fish. That would be one big ass tank. You could do all kinds of cool stuff in something that size like frogs(semi-agressive),freshwater shrimp,little freshwater lobsters,sharks. Wow that would be cool.

Also just as a side note for a community tank you want one one inch fich for one gallon of water.