First Timer with a Question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TheInzanity, Aug 15, 2009.

1. I'm about to get ready to start my first ever grow.. Been smoking for 15 years (only 27) and want to start contributing a bit more

Ive got about 200 seeds of mersh and will start to germinate some when i get back to Phoenix AZ (remember this) since im on vacation in Los angeles (WHY IS IT SO HARD TO FIND WEED HERE!!!!)

Anyways

I am more then likely going to buy a grow box or build one.. not sure yet...

But my question is...without a box.. just a plant in a pot in the closet...

If i wanted to do this basically as cheap as possible... Lets say i have all my pots, soil, fertilizers, lights and fans... And i wanna use my walk in closet in my apartment.

Since i cant cut any holes.. What kind of ventilation should i use.. Would just opening the door do the fresh air trick?

Also.. Humidity doesnt exist in Arizona.. Would a humidifier help kick the humidity up or would the HPS (400w) Light and an oscalating fan just work fine?

And if you have any tips or tricks that you can share with me on growing in a closet area
    let me know

Thanks

2. hi, im still quite a newbie grower myself but if your going to use 400 watt HPS you will more than likely need to setup proper ventilation as they get hot

3. i have the exact same setup that your talkin about
    i have a walk in closet thats 22 inches across and about 6 feet tall
    i use cfl lights because i believe that a 400 hps would create too much heat
    you can get great results with cfl lights as i have already
    i have two fans in my closet one blowing down on my plant and lights and one in front of the plant sucking out the hot air , this seems to work fine for me as i keep a temp of 80 and humidity at about 40 percent
    but at night when the lights are off , the humidity goes way up cuz i have to close my closet door because i have to have complet darkness
    so to keep the humidity down during the night my air conditioner has a dehumidifier on it and thats what i do
    good luck

4. My closet is Approx.. 8' H x 4' W x 6' L

With about 350-400 seeds in my stock...

Im going to use probably 5 Gallon buckets (painted white) and probably going to grow 2 or 3 at a time in this closet...

Arizona has no moisture in the air.. its called DRY HEAT (105-115F Mid May - Mid Sept)

Would 3 Oscalating Fans... 2 Tall and 1 Short and say.. 6-8 CFLS per plant at various heights be fine?

Probably have some at about 2 FT.. Some at a Foot.. and the others on the side toward the rim of the pot

And would a Humidifier work as well in the room... I have shelves that are approx 6FT off the ground where i could set the Humidifier on.. Would that help control the humidity and/or create it since there is 0 Humidity all year long in Arizona?

Also... Wouldnt mind some suggestions from people on different soil types to use.

Ill probably hit up Wal-Marts garden center and the Rose Shop near me that sells soil and nutrients and such...

I understand that 1-2 weeks into it you can start with the fert... depending on your growth of plant... Also any Suggestions on this would be great

And another question just popped in my head... Im in L.A Cali atm vacationing... A Light shop over here sells Colored CFLs... Blue, Green, Yellow, Red, Purple, whatever... Would a Blue or Purple help with say... MOONLIGHT effect? And would Yellow and Red help with SUNLIGHT effect?

5. 5 gallon buckets are good, i prefer 2.5 but i like smaller plants
    it sounds like heat might be an issue for you
    i dont think a couple fans will bring the temp down 20 degrees
    you want a temp of no higher than 85 really
    i mean maybe 90 degrees tops
    and yeah you need humidity especially during the vegetative stage
    i keep my humidity at about 40 percent through the whole grow and that seemed good
    the only type of soil you want to use is fox farm ocean forrest
    i havent used it but i will be and it will be the only thing i will use forever
    i use flora nova grow for the vegetative cycle
    i use flora nova bloom for the flowering stage and yeah wait a couple weeks
    i also use liquid koolbloom (flora nova series) for flowering, this will get your buds huge
    and yeah a couple weeks is usually when to start feeding
    for cfl lights you want a color temp of 5000k or 6500k for veg
    and for flowering you need a softer white bulb like around 2500k ( this part is important if your goin with cfl)
    i think their is a thread in the beginners section all about cfl lights
    gl

6. There is a CFL Section.. I read it.. but it doesnt touch base on the Colored CFLs...

Im trying to make it as OUTSIDE as possible... Moonlight and Sunlight.. instead of just turning off lights then turning them back on...

The power of the CFLs are great and where they should be... Im just trying to figure out if i use a few Blues. Purples. Reds. and Yellows... If that would do anything more or even help.. Especially the darker ones at night

Heat in the closet isnt the problem.. it stays between 70 and 80 Degrees constantly... Its the humidity im trying to get... And it may just be me over thinking the process a bit too much..

But im just worried with the Arizona Desert Weather.. that i wont be able to creat the 75%-85% humidity ill need....

Probably need to find something that will check humidity and tempature...
    Im starting to think maybe the 5 gallons may be a bit big.. Especially since im going to start 2 or 3 at a time... May have to go 3 instead

Im looking for good growth.. But im not looking for a 6ft plant either..well.. maybe.. i dont know yet... Once i get back home and start wiring stuff up and get it set up with what i need... Maybe ill do one plant with a 3 and another with the 5...

Trial and Error with the Lights may be my best way to go.... Im sure someone has to have tried a Blue CFL for nighttime use...

Ive got like 35 Regular CFLs... so thats not going to be an issue.... And ive got 7 different Chip Clip lights fixtures (thats what i call them lol) All with movable heads incase they are too much light or just need to be adjusted

And also... Has anyone got any Likes or Dislikes on Pete Moss Planters? Im more then likely will go that way for my planting till i need the bigger buckets... But since the roots just grow through it... and you can just plant it straight from the planter... It seems the easiest way to go

Ive bought 15 Different Magazines dealing with MJ... High Times (Aug & Sept) Grow (July, Aug, Sept) High Times Grow Guide (July-Sept) Skunk (April-Sept) and a Weed World (Worst Magazine dealing with MJ ive ever read)

Ive got like 50 pages of notes all categorized under Planting, Growing, Soils/Nutrients, Lighting, Care of Plant, Cultivation just from the magazines

Ive got 25 Pages of notes from this site alone with USER comments and suggestions plus the information thats under stickies.. Such as the Grampa's Grow Guide and a Few models for boxes....

Thats another question....

Buying a Grow Box instead of Building one.... Anyone find any benefits and or cheap ones that work?

7. it does touch base man i been growin with cfl lights for about a year and a half now and i know what im talkin about
    dont worry about what color they are, what you need is the right temp of the bulb
    that is what you need to know
    you give the plant 18 hours of light during veg and 12 hours of light during flowering
    you def need a hygrometer which tells you temp and humidity
    what watt cfl lights do you have cuz you dont really wanna go under 26 watt or equivilent to 100 watts incadescent
    i never used pete moss planters , just drop your seeds into some water and when they crack put them in your soil
    i think most grow tents and boxes would prollly be on the more expensive side
    if your growing with cfl lights then i would suggest making one out of cardboard or wood
    benefits of a grow tent would be the mostly the exhaust holes and shit for ventilation
    but with cfl lights you dont need those big can fans and blower exhausts, you just need some oscilating fans and keep the temp down
    remember what i said and believe me when i say it
    5000k or 6500k for veg and 2500k for flowering

8. man you need to turn off the lights , i just noticed that part of your reply
    i mean during veg you can keep them on for 24 hours a day if you want
    but i like to go 20 hours on 4 off, when the lights are off i think thats when they grow the most
    and then 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark for flowering
    you want to switch to flowering after about a month of veg or you can even do it right at the beginning if you want

9. The Regular CFLs i have are all 50w... Ill have to check the Incadescent when i get back to Phoenix (Still on vacation... JUST FOR PEOPLES INFO... A month in L.A. is too damn long)

Nothing is On... Nothing is going... Im just asking a shit load of questions to get an idea.. and im not going to use all of them lol

Thats what im trying to figure out... Im just trying a little too hard..... I figured a 20/4 would be the best way to go.. Ive seen alot of people with better results from 20/4 then 18/6 dont know why... well. sorta i do... but its still new to me

I figured the light schedule is the way to go... just trying to get info for colored CFLs.. but now that i think about it... Prolly just do it the easiest way without over thinking

but its my first time.... Im almost certain im not going to get a great grow my first time.. but im not looking for a huge harvest either... Just enough in 3-5 months to supply myself with some... I mean the prices i pay are cheap... but why cant it be free.. you know?

Anyways.... I also have a question... im having trouble finding a strain called Brown Sugar... I just want info on it... A friend of mine has it and itll be nice to know what the fuck im buying

Anyways...What kind of Cycle did you use with your Nutrients/Fertilizers? I know im getting ahead of myself.. but i just researched your product and the store ill be buying at does carry it and what kind of growth did you get out of it as well? And the more notes i have.. the more info i have... The more i can accomplish

When i start my grow.. Hopefully ill be posting the pictures for more suggestions and ideas

Thank you for the help

10. yeah your just thinkin too much , believe me i was fuckin excited out of my mind when i cut down my first plant
    and you prolly will have a good plant your first time just as long as you give it the right atmosphere to live in
    do 20/4 thats fine
    never heard of brown sugar and it dont come up on google
    with my nutes i used them about every other watering, it tells you on the back how much to use
    it grows good especially with the liquid koolbloom , real easy to use
    heres a pic of my second harvest , this strain is blue cheese and it was my first real strain grow, my first grow was bagseed
    http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/446743-harvest-time-blue-cheese-pics.html

11. Damn man... those buds look gorgeous... Made me drool a bit....

Im a heavy smoker for 15 years (only 27 in 4 days) And im on Vacation sober for a freaking month now... IT SUCKS BALLSACK FROM A CHIMP WHO HAS BEEN RAN OVER WITH A STEAM ROLLER!!!

And i got 4oz waiting for me back home and an oz of this Brown Sugar... which ill have to figure out what the fuck it is.... Could be some cross strain... Ive been all over google trying to figure it out... i figured out that theres a rolling paper named brown sugar

May see if my other guy can get me some OG Kush instead...

When i get back im rollin me a blouncy (Oz blunt)

If anyone hasnt tried yet... Find some Clove Blunt wraps or papers... i love the taste and makes me hit it harder... Check them out if you can find them...

Anyways...

I wont start a serious grow till after i get my green thumb... Ive got nearly 200 different indoor strains written down with Grow times, Indica/Sativa %.. Approx weight of finished product and where to buy the feminine seeds..

"Fucking Incredible" Looks to be my top runner when i start that... Has a short growing time and high amount of finished product

So...

CFLS - Use the regular ones... Fuck the colored ones....
    Read the back of the nutrients and fertilizers...

No other questions atm... LOL

Im sure by the time i get back on here ill have another 50 questions

thanks man

12. thanks man it took me a long time but it was worth it , prolly get a couple z's from it
    i would love to be on vacation , not sober though haha
    yeah i seen the brown sugar paper when i googled it
    my next grow is violator kush, i never smoked kush , so i cant wait
    yeah cfl lights are easy to use, just go by color temp cuz its important
    you will have many more questions , i did haha
    good luck man and no problem