First Timer, Quick Question about my seedlings

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by GrowWithMe, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Hey guys, first Timer here with a quick question. I've been looking at pics of other seedlings that are around my plants age, (4 days), and they looked different so I didn't know if I should be concerned.
    Most seedlings look short withfat leaves, but mine is about an inch and a half or two inches tall but with much much smaller leaves. I felt like it was "stretching" so I figured to bring the CFL lights closer, which seems to have helped a little but I wanted to see if there were any other suggestions.
    My setup is a small pot with coco coir and two cfl bulbs per plant, with just two plants total. Both of them seem to be experiencing the small leaves issue. Thanks ahead of time folks.

2. Picz? What watt bulb ??

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Man, I can't even figure out how to post a photo -__-

4. Never mind, looks like I may have figured it out.

5. And the cfls are 40 watts, uses only 10 watts, 580 lumens, ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1379301445.584354.jpg

6. You go by watts used for CFLs and growing. You should just go by some 26w.
    Your plant is stretching for light. Move your weak lights an inch away from the top.
    CFLs can only be a few inches away before losing basically all effectiveness.

7. What he said man u neeeeeed more lights get 4 23 watts and one 13 and you'll be set for one plant trust me I grow with cfls and u need a lot more lumans in that box then that. And plus the 23 watts are 100 watt equivalent so its a lot more light.

8. Badass okay, that's awesome! Thanks for the tips. I had no idea these little seedlings needed that much light. This whole time I was under the impression that I would give them very little light in the beginning because they're so frail and young. But cool, I'll get some stronger lights and put them up ASAP. Thanks for the help!

9. So how many of these 23 watt bulbs should I use for each plant for right now in this seedling state?

10. Get two 23watts till they get about 3 sets of nodes then add enother and so on

11. #12 lusifersbudz, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013
    But remember keep them lights close but not to close maybe about 2-4 inchs from the topsSent from my SGH-T999V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. Awesome. Sounds good. I've got the lights all set up now. Now my big issue is ventilation. Where can I go to find a good setup for a closet?

13. Try a hardware store

14. U can get a fan and some duct lining and duct tape and you vent it out so hot air gets sucked out

15. You're also using the wrong color temperature. I can tell from the reflection on your first photo you're using soft white bulbs. Daylight bulbs promote horizontal (bushy) growth, soft white promotes vertical (stem) growth. Higher watts, closer bulbs, and higher color temperatures are what you want. 6500k temp is what you want.

16. Okay cool,
    My only other questions were on humidity and temperature. I feel like its baking in there, temp stays at about 88 degrees, is that too hot? And humidity stays at around 30%, how can I change these? Or should I leave them be?

17. Plants should be in between 75-80 degrees and humidity should be in the 60% u can rase humidity by putty a small bowl of water in the grow box/room and temps can be changed by fans vets and or putting frozen water bottles around ibsode the grow room/box

18. Try and get the big 42 watt cfl's 2 of those is enough for one plant.

19. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1379463949.151579.jpg
    Is anybody able to tell me what this brown stuff is?