First time with coco

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by euphoria526, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Haven’t been on here in years, let alone thought about growing again in years, but the opportunity has come up and I’m looking to get back into it. Now, because of the whole “quarantine” bs everything will be ordered through amazon. Planning 1-3 plants total maybe a 4th when I get the hang of it. I plan on using a mix of coco brick with perlite, and just CANNA A&B with cal mag. This is technically a budget grow as I’m not trying to get too expensive.
    Here’s my list so far of what’s planned:
    Coolgrows 3’x3’x6’ hydro grow tent
    Mars hydro ts600 LED
    Cloth pots (I have a few q’s on those)
    4” ventilation kit( fan, ducting, carbon filter.
    Coco brick
    Perlite
    I also need to get the odds and ends: ph tester, shears for pruning and trimming, drainage trays for under the pots etc.

I guess I’m just asking people’s opinions and help guide me as I go. I do have some question that I might need answered. Also,If I need more light I might supplement with screw in led’s or cfl’s. This is my first coco grow, ice only grown in soils before this.

2. I'd suggest going with a TS1000 or TSW2000 instead. The 600 is only rated for a 1.5'x1.5' flowering area. The 1000 is for a 2x2 and the 2000 a 3x3.

3. I don't want to rain on your parade, but the 3 x 3 tent won't be enough room for 4 plants unless you plan on doing SOG, and your light is only 100 actual watts.......not enough light for even one plant.

I suggest going to www.cocoforcannabis.com to learn the proper way to grow in coco.......it's nothing like soil.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Yeah that’s my issue, I’m trying to grow on a bit of a budget, the 1000w as almost double the price :/ lol
    If I’m paying that much I could just get the spider farmer sf 1000 for $5more at $175 if it’s worth it. The SF has the lm301b chip and dimmable drivers... both are a tad more heavy on the blue spectrum also

5. I’ve been doing a bit of research, I don’t plan on growing too tall or too many plants. See what I can get with 1-2 plants at first and see what I can do. With that. I just want to do it, been talking about it forever lol.

6. Learning the new forum layout. Lol
    See above. Done a little research, and nothing has been bought yet. Just plannin 1-3 plants max. It’s about what I see in front of me when I get it, I’ll have a better perception of space and size

• Like Like x 1
  7. Since I’m growing from seed, would it be a bad idea for me to sex them after sprouting? Change ton12/12 to determine Sec then change back to veg?

8. Buy fem seeds.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. I already have plenty of non fem seeds. Plus Freon what I’ve seen, fem seeds are a little pricey. I’m just asking out of anybody’s experience, if there are any downsides to sexing this way

10. Cut clones, label them carefully, and put them in flower.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. How long you vegging for hypothetically. Also if you have air conditioning get a used HPS off craigslist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. No hps, trying to keep the bills down. I plan on vegging till it pops the first 3-5 sets of leaves, really early on. I know they will stunt but bounce back eventually. I DO plan on topping these also, should I wait till after the top? I don’t have room other then the tent I’m getting and using, cloning will be hard to do. Otherwise I’d love a perpetual crop lol

13. I will also say I have a small idea of what I’m planning on doing, if it seems I’m all over the place, I probably am. I’m having a hard time deciding things to get, especially all being delivered by amazon :/

14. Id do 2 plants. Veg for like 6-8 wks with a couple toppings and flip em. If you have an incandescent light bulb you can root clones in jiffy pellets under that.

15. I’m reconsidering my lighting situation as well, if $200 is my budget, would 2x 600w be better then the 1x 1000?

16. 600w and 1000w what?

17. Just get a 600 watt hps, then once you got the money go with quantum boards.

18. No go on hps. The heat and the electricity keeping it cool would be too expensive, specifically because of the smallish space I have. I’m talking about 2 ts 600w mars hydro led’s. In favor of 1-1000w led. If the heat and electricity weren’t an issue I’d go hps

19. Like I mentioned in my first post......those lights are only 100 watts......you would need 4 of them for a 3x3 tent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Hmmm looking at my options the 1000w marshydro claims to pulls 150w and the others all are at 100w. I think I’ll go with the marshydro ts1000