First time scrog. Need some info.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by TnTeems, Jan 17, 2013.

1. I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm stuck between going scrog or traditional. I have two rooms made right now. I have a 5'x5' room I was going to dedicate to the scrog method and a 10'x9' area I was going to dedicate to traditional style. Ceiling height is my only issue. Within the 10x9 room I only have about 4x4 area of a ceiling height of 7'6" before it gradually decreases and finally ends up be 48" tall. Should I even bother with the traditional style or just run a full scrog grow in the 10x9 room and use the 5x5 room for mothers and clones? I have three 1000w metal halide lights to use so lighting isnt an issue. Any help would be great. Thanks

2. Hello again. In my opinion yes, make the smaller room mother-clone and vege area to restock the flower area so you keep running it. Yes SCROG the bigger area. Have you thought of SOG?

3. That's actually how I found out about scrog. From the research I've done and the articles I looked at, it seems like scrog gives better yeilds and is easier to maintain in low height areas. I haven't done much research on sog once I researched scrog

4. I understand that the main difference is just there is no screen and less plants per square ft with the sog method. What's the other differences and benefits?

5. True that Scrog can be maintained in height better then SOG but also takes alot of cuts to scrog. You can try a combination grow. SCROG the area that is shorter and sog the area that is higher. Your lower hanging lights over SCROG would help the sides of the SOG plants increasing the normal yeild. From my understanding thus far on this subject I would say that scrog and SOG can have the same yeild in the same square footage. So long as the SOG plants can reach a total plant height not including the pot of about 36 or so in height. If you factor in that Scrog takes more time to prepare the plant and more chance for mistakes I would side with SOG. Have you researched LST?

6. It's going to be hard to scrog you have to veg for so long you should do individual scrog . I'm doing it right now well flowering you should check my thread

I agree 5x5 veg clone factory but IMO sog would be best

Sent from iPhone 5

7. No I haven't researched it at all. I honestly don't know anything about it. So sog is my best option then. I appreciate all the input

8. If you go sog.. LST the low side.. Look up LST

9. Hang your lights in a way that you can rotate themin the room so when they first start to flower they go in the low side and move them as needed until they get to the high side you get what I'm saying

Sent from iPhone 5

10. That works as well.... You could have a constant running flower area moving the plants or lights ( plants might be easier) to a higher light as they grow. Good 1 free born.

11. When I get enough plants to do so then that's what I will for sure do. I believe I'll be starting with 5 or 6 clones. If that's the case should I even bother using the big room or just cut electric costs and use the small room for the LST method?

12. #12 ElevationCheese, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2013
    Small room---When your clones grow you will need to clone them. Your process will start to grow and you can grow into 2 rooms. Veg plants and clones have the same light schedule and can be kept in the same enclosure. When the taller plants are ready for flower then you have 2 rooms. You can use seperate distances from the light to help veg area if you dont have seperate lights. While the plants are growing you will have lots of time to think about what needs to be done next . LST sounds great also Lollipop is a great idea in my opinion because you will have to cut bottom branches off to Lollipop. Those branches become your clones. OH BTW from my understanding clones from the bottom of the plant are stronger to root then the top of plant. Many branches on the bottom provide many clones 3-5 from each plant easy and thats not lollipopping as much as you could.. so your 5-6 plants become what up to 30 clones? Why save a momma clone at this point. If you see all your clones are doing great I would go ahead and toss all the plants in flower after they heal. Save 1 or not you would have 5-6 plants in flower area real soon with many clones to back up production. Sorry for the long post but I want to see your grow work. Enjoy
    :)

13. Thank you so much for the help. I feel a lot better moving forward with this grow after hearing your input. I'll post pics throughout the grow!

14. One more question for you then i promise I'm done. Will I get the same results running the 1000w for both the veg and flower or should I switch to a 600w for the flowering? Moneys kinda tight so options are quickly becoming limited.

15. You dont need 1000 W to Veg in my opinion. 600 veg 1000 flower is great. You could even run less in Veg. 400 veg 1600 flower I have seen work. You want more watts in flower then VEG, plants get bigger and need more light as well as help flowers when they grow.

16. But can I get away with it without negatively effecting my yield? Like I said money is tight so if I can get by on just the 1000w for a grow or two I'd rather do that.

17. you have less plants right now so ya.... Why not use less light . I thought you meant lowering Flower and keeping veg high. Veg lower then flower. You could use a fraction of the total watts you will be using. If you have the lights that is. You got 600;s so use em for the first grow.

18. Agreed well said veg is just to keep them happy and growing flowering is when you will want more light good luck

Pics bro pics lol

Sent from iPhone 5

19. Alright, a little update on the plan but I feel it may be for the better, both financially and yield wise. I'm going to run a 5x5 room as a veg and clone room and a 5x8 room as a flower room. This will help me cut back on the electricity bill and get a feel for the grow method that way I don't mess up more plants then I have to. Hopefully this works out, but only time will tell. Is this a good idea or should I stick to the original plan?

20. Good idea are saying to build another room for flowering inside your weird shaped room I think that's you best bet

Sent from iPhone 5