Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

First time making Oil...

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Moverandgroover, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Hi I am ready now to make some oil. I have dried leaves out and think I should do this soon as I can't freeze them.

Been looking on Youtube and searching this forum but not really found what I am looking for.

I think I want to go for a oil or butter extraction. Ideally using what I have to hand. I don't want to get all fancy with butane etc.

Should I just grind up the leaves further, and simmer them in butter or oil?

And surely I'd have to have enough in there to cover the material??

Please help?

2. do you want to make it the easy way and waste some potency, or take a bit more time and make the most potent batch of edibles youve ever had? i ask this because you say you want to use what you have on hand.

i would recommend grinding everything up and decarbing your bud first. this is a crucial first step to activate your material so it is more potent. it is also about half of the process, and will double if not triple your potency! :eek: it is a very simple and short process though so please take the time and do it! just grind it all up and put it evenly spread out in a pan. cover and seal with tin foil and bake at 220 for 15 mins. it should come out a golden color and smelling good :yummy:

now it is ready to simmer in your oil. i recommend using almond or coconut oil. i prefer coconut oil for a couple reasons.

-100% fat so it is one of the best edible solvents.
    -high in MCT's so it will deliver the cannabinoids (THC, CBD, etc..) even better
    -it has so many benefits all in its own without being made into cannaoil. it is antiviral, antimicrobial, etc.. (it keeps the body helthy basically!)

but you may use olive oil or other cooking oil, even butter if youd like (i recommend clarified if using butter).

now for your heat processing time. ill break it down fairly simple for ya, but follow the exact steps as they are there for specific reasons..

-oil and trim mixture in a pan, covered and SEALED with tin foil
    -put in the oven at 220 degrees F for 45 mins
    -when done, take out and let cool to room temp.
    -mix the oil gently and put back in oven, SEALED with the foil still
    -now cook for an additional 45 mins at 230 degrees F
    -when finished this time, you should put it in the freezer or fridge if you can. as this will increase potency before use in cooking.

this is a dumbed down and simple version of the recipe. if you want to read into it more and find out exactly why each step is done or want the more detailed version, then here is a link for it. Badkat is fantastic and covers just about everything i have said here. but in much more detail :hello:

http://forum.grasscity.com/incredib...h-candy-canna-bombs-more-22.html#post11299348

hope this is what youre looking for.

dont get discouraged if you dont understand all of what she is saying. you can read and take in as much as youd like and follow the basic guidelines above. it is a hefty, and long, tutorial but is super informative.

good luck, and enjoy your goodies :wave:

3. Brilliant, thank you for that..
    Just one thing, that link is great, but I am still unsure how much oil to put in... And if I use coconut oil (which seems like the best), how much (do i just cover all the material) and also will this set as a butter or revert back to a liquid oil???

Thanks

4. you need to know how much material you have to figure that out. i would suggest around a half gram per dose if you are using only leaves.

so if your brownie recipe calls for a half cup of oil, then you would need to know how many grams of trim went into each half cup.

so if you have 20 grams of trim per say. you could use 2 cups of oil to cook the material with. you then would put a half cup into each batch of brownies. giving you 5 grams per batch. this would result in 10 brownies, each containing half a gram.

it all depends on how much material you have, as well as how much you would like to have in each serving. just gotta do some basic math to figure it out.

and im not sure what you mean by set as a butter or revert?

coconut oil is solid at room temp. so i like to put mine in the microwave for a little and stir it around to melt it down, and get it into liquid state. then you can measure it out correctly.

it will become a solid again once you put it in the fridge, if you choose to do so prior to using (increasing potency like mentioned).

i also suggest putting your left over in the freezer if you have extra. it will keep the oil good for months if needed.

5. Hi. Thanks for your reply. Just a few more crucial questions if you will.

I have not weighed my leaves and material so I can only assume. I don't have scales. I have looked into good quality coconut oil and have seen a jar the weighs in at 620 grams (or 690ml).

My material (leaves/stems) is ready to go.. Just need to know how much coconut oil to use..??? I can't describe how much, let's say an oven dish about 1 inch thick, would just about do to fill what I have.

Will 620 grams of Coconut oil do or wot enough or too much???

Also, the decarbign stage, you do this to activate the THC right, if I missed this stage would I cancel the 'high' and simply just get the medicinal qualities???

6. This might sound a bit crazy, but can I grind/blend my leaves and stuff in my food blender..??

It's a pretty tough machine... I'm guessing I can but would like a second opinion...

7. [quote name='"Moverandgroover"']Hi. Thanks for your reply. Just a few more crucial questions if you will.

I have not weighed my leaves and material so I can only assume. I don't have scales. I have looked into good quality coconut oil and have seen a jar the weighs in at 620 grams (or 690ml).

My material (leaves/stems) is ready to go.. Just need to know how much coconut oil to use..??? I can't describe how much, let's say an oven dish about 1 inch thick, would just about do to fill what I have.

Will 620 grams of Coconut oil do or wot enough or too much???

Also, the decarbign stage, you do this to activate the THC right, if I missed this stage would I cancel the 'high' and simply just get the medicinal qualities???[/quote]

Yes to the blender question for grinding.

If you skip the decarb stage, then you will get less of a high. Now some of the medicinal benefits come from the cannabinoids that produce your high tho. But some come from the terpenes and terpenoids in the plant. So you will lose some medical benefits by doing this.

And i am not sure how to help you with the weighing and portion problem if i don't know any weights :eek:

But i would recommend grinding it and covering it with oil evenly. A bit above exactly covered. Better to have a more concentrated batch than have too little potency per content.

Hope this helps a bit, sorry i cant give ya much more!