Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

First time making Coconut oil - Did not separate out water :(

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by HighPoweredMutant, Feb 18, 2016.

1. #1 HighPoweredMutant, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2016
    The other day I infused some coconut oil w/ abv. Cooked on low for 4 hours in a crockpot. I did water cure the ABV and it was not completely dry before mixing w/ oil before cooking.

After cooking I removed most of the ABV using cheesecloth but some was left in it, which is fine with me.

After cooling, it separated into two layers, a pure greenish top layer, and a bottom layer that is white/grey with flecks of fine abv in it. Both layers appeared to be solid.

I did not realize that the bottom layer was NOT solid and needed to be drained off... after trying to make caps with this it failed, probably bc the liquid content softened the caps.

It sat for maybe 2 weeks like this at room temp (mostly on the cooler side) in a tight mason jar before I had a change to fool with it again. The oil puck stayed solid the entire time. I removed the puck, skimmed off the white/greyish layer which honestly was a little smelly.

I put the puck with fresh distilled water and heated it slightly so the puck would melt, put it in fridge, drained water. Repeated this two times and the puck is clean.

Should I be worried about it sitting out for 2 weeks, possible mold growth? Is the oil ruined??