First Time Hydro Grower Wants to Do It Right

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Richie_J21, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Hi Gang, newbie here that needs expert advice!

I'm tired of not knowing what kind of bud I'm buying, so I've decided to build a small hydroponic grow box in the closet in my home office and grow my own. My goal is to be able to harvest 2-4 oz of killer bud every 2-3 months. I only want to grow enough for my own personal use and to share a little bit with close friends. I have a lot of questions, though, and could use some expert advice.

Space:
    My interior closet dimensions are 60" wide by 22" deep by 96" high. I want to split it into a 4' vegetative box on bottom which will hold 2 mothers and clones (I've decided to start with White Widow and AK-47), and a 4' flowering box on top for 3-4 budding plants.

Water:
    I want to put a top drip system in the veg room, which will hold my mothers and clones. I'll put an ebb and flow system in the flowering box. I'll put my reservoirs on the bottom of each box with the plants above. This should be the most space effective solution.

Lights:
    Since space is a premium, but I still want to be able to adjust the distance between my plants and lights, I'm going to make the lights stationary, but build adjustable shelving so that I can move the plants up and down inside the box as needed. With the lights fixed to the top, the reservoir fixed to the bottom, and adjustable plant height, I figure I should have 30-32" of grow space.

I'll use florescent tubes on an 18/6 cycle in the veg box and an HPS light on a 12/12 cycle in the flower box.

Air:
    I'll put a fan inside each box to keep air circulating, and I can cut a hole in the top of the flowering box for exhaust ventilation. It would go straight into the attic, so I can pull the air through a carbon filter and just shoot it harmlessly outside. If I need extra intake I can cut some ventilation holes in the back of the closet. I live in a duplex, and there's a space between the shared walls where I can draw cool, fresh air.

Monitoring:
    It should be fairly easy to install thermometers, pH meters and PPM meters in such a way that I can check each box without having to open them, although of course I'll be checking on everything visually at least once a day.

Security/Stealth:
    Each box will have an independently opening and locking door, so I should be able to make them separately light proof and odor proof. I want to be able to close the outside closet door over the top of the whole setup, so that if someone's in my office it just looks like a closed closet door. I smoke in my office quite a lot, so there's always a faint smell of buds, but I also almost always have incense burning. I think if I can vent most of the odor out the top smell shouldn't be an issue.

I've attached a quick rendering of how I want it to look. As I get closer to building, I'll be asking a lot more detailed questions - inner lining material, which lights to use, best exhaust fan for the space, nutrient selections and concentrations, etc., but for now I just want to know what you all think! How can I make this setup the most effective it can be?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. I'll be starting the build of my vegetative box soon, I'll post pics as I get it going.