First Time Growing Purple (LED | SCROG)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by ChabaBuds, Aug 29, 2017.

1. What's up ladies & fellas! This will be my 2nd grow journal as I was blown away by all the helpful advice you guys gave me on my last grow. Since my Gorilla Glue #4 came out so well, I figured I'd push myself for this grow and attempt to grow some colorful/purple weed. I went to a very reputable clone house in LA (Midnight Farms) and spent about an hour with the guy there going over each strain to find those highest in anthocyanin (a genetic indicator of its likelihood to exhibit purple/blue hues). I ended up selecting the girls below as they are both colorful indica dominant hybrids with prestige. I know it's going to be a bitch trying to get nighttime temps in Los Angeles low enough to trigger a color change, but I figured it's worth a shot (any tips are more than welcome). My setup is as follows:

THE GIRLS:

-1 Mendo Breath clone (Gage Green Genetics)
    -1 Purple Animal Kush clone (Inhouse Genetics)

THE TOOLS:

-1 gallon pots transplanted to 5 gallon pots
    -2'x2'x4' Mylar grow tent
    -300w Viparspectra Reflector series LED
    -4 23w 2700k CFL
    -2 23w 6500k CFL
    -Passive Intake w/ Terrabloom 185cfm exhaust
    -2 oscillating fans
    -SCROG screen with 2"x2" holes

THE FOOD (Feeding Schedule Below):

-Fox Farms Ocean Forest Soil
    -Fox Farms base nutrient trio
    -Cal-Mag
    -Liquid Bat Guano
    -Unsulphured molasses
    -Atami Bloombastic (PK booster for late flower)
    -FF Cha-Ching (PK booster for late flower)
    -Humbolt County Snow Storm Ultra
    -Humbolt County PurpleMaxx
    -Superthrive

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Subscribed. Mendo Breath is one I've been thinking of running. I'll be interested to see how it turns out.
    Good luck with the grow!

Peace.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks man! Any tips on ways to make sure I get that color change to purple? I know the genetics are right and I've heard about dropping nighttime temps below 50 during flower, but other than that I'm winging it.

4. Lowering the temps is the main thing I've always heard to do. Also...be sure to let them fully mature before harvest...a lot of the purple will happen in the last week or so.

Peace.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  5. Good to know man thanks for the tip!

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 ChabaBuds, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    VEG WEEK 3:

Ok so I repotted both girls into 5-gal pots and began my 4-way LST (result of topping) to prepare for SCROG. However, the MENDO Breath is growing MUCH faster than the Purple Animal Kush. You can see in the pics below that the Mendo is damn near double the size of the Kush. The fan leaves are much smaller too. Both girls look healthy otherwise. Any idea what my problem is? Or is it just strain-based? I'm feeding them the exact same, so I'm leaning towards something to do with the Kush strain growing shorter and bushier with smaller fan leaves. Any input would be much appreciated. (I watered them in the bathtub btw, hence the pictures)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Anyone have any idea?

8. Different strains is the answer..Sometimes even 2 plants from the same batch/strain will have different growth rates and different traits too..:)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ok awesome I think I'll just let them run and see if she speeds up

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. VEG WEEK 3:

Ok so I tapped into my own stoner ingenuity and rigged up a DIY AC unit to keep the temps in my tent low enough to induce a color change during flower. I looped some copper refrigerator tubing around the face of my fan, then ran that to a aquarium pump I submerged in a cooler with ice blocks and ice water. The pump pushes cold water throughout the copper tubes, which, with the fan blowing through the looped copper, creates cold air. I was able to drop my temps damn near 15 degrees! Lasts the whole night so each morning all I have to do is replace the ice. I'm hoping when flower hits and the outside temps drop I'll be able to get the tent temp down to the low 60s (its high 90s outside right now and with the DIY AC I'm at 75 in the tent).[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. FANTASTIC!!
    I will definitely build one of these..
    Only one suggestion..Make sure the pots (roots) do not get below 65 D F..Maybe point the fan more vertically to avoid blowing on the pots themselves;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dude I'm so surprised how well it worked. And fuuuuuck good call!! Didn't even think about that...this is why I love these forums. Good looks man

13. VEG WEEK 4:

Decided to raise the Kush as it looked like she wouldn't catch up before flower and of course my clumsy ass broke half of the main "T" stem I had LST'd. I attempted to fix her with some tape and honey but she was shot, the branch dead and wilted. I did my best to patch her up and gave a little boost to some of the offshoots hoping they'll take on the role. Still have the main stem topped into three so I should be ok, but damn is this Purple Animal Kush growing slow as hell! Hopefully she'll catch up in the stretch when I flower next week.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. #14 Buzzer777, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Next time..take the broken stem , cut the stem off at a 45 d angle and plant it in dirt (also you can simply root it in a cup of water..) Clones are good for the obvious (free plant) and if you put it 12/12, and need to tell its sex..that lil clone will do it for you;)

It should be early enough so she will only think she was topped (we hope) and grow out of it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Shoot didn't even think of that man. Good call! Will do next time

• Like Like x 1
  16. FLOWER WEEK 1:

Flipped to 12/12 this week as the Mendo Breath had already grown into her side of the screen. I ended up giving her one more row because the Purple Animal Kush is growing much slower. The "kush" traits are really showing in her (I'm sure the broken stem didn't help). Overall though these two girls have had no issues at all! Excited to see how they flower. Any tips for increasing anthocyanin (purple pigmentation) other than temp & Purple Maxx? Lemme know.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. FLOWER WEEK 2:

The girls just started showing signs of flower! The Kush finally started its stretch and is in the process of filling its side of the screen. The Mendo grows like fucking vines...I'm going in circles around this filled up SCROG screen! Hopefully her stretch is wrapping up (wishful thinking). I also cropped everything below the net (new shoots and fan leaves) since they won't be getting any light. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Copped some Bud Candy as well so added that to my nute schedule (pic below). Anyone have any experience with BC or anything you think needs tweaking in my feeding chart? Open ears over here![​IMG]

18. FLOWER WEEK 3:

The stretch is real with these girls! Goddamn! Went out of town for three days and came back to the Amazon! Bud sites are showing up prominently with just a tad bit of overcrowding. Raised the LED as high as she can go after these pics were taken. Here’s to hoping she doesn’t stretch anymore, gotta love those leggy chicks!.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

First Time Growing Purple (LED | SCROG)

Indoor LED/CFL SCROG - GG#4 and Skywalker x Grateful Breath

• Like Like x 1
  19. lookin good how well do those cfls work for increasing your yield?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Man honestly they work great. Especially once I flip and the stretch hits, even with LST and SCROG, the LED has a tough time getting some of the lower shoots near the sides of the tent. Those six 32-watt CFL’s have made it so the outer shoots grow at the same rate as my center ones. I make sure to use the right spectrum depending on veg/flower so I make sure to switch from 6500k to 2700k after the flip. I’ve also toyed with the idea of supplemental LED bar strips, especially the “deep red” ones for flower, but my CFLs work so damn good and are so cheap I haven’t made the switch. I’d say, overall, it prolly ups my yield a half ounce or so, but, more importantly, it makes it so my outer buds are just as dense and frosty as those selfish ass center ones. Plus the heat coming off these is damn near nonexistent unless you’re actually touching the bulb itself.

• Like Like x 1