First time growing Journal

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Slaughter42011, Jan 13, 2013.

1. #1 Slaughter42011, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2013
    Im growing for my first time tired of what im smoking. Im trying to get advice on techniques and nutrients to use for a beginner.
    The setup i have is:
    2x4 Gorilla Tent
    600watt iPower light kit
    GenHydro Waterfarm kit
    Canna Coco kit

I started on Friday. The seeds I have are The Doctor and #47 got them from atittude seeds. I guess my first question is will my seeds germinate if i use my 600watt light and I used the rockwool straight from the package I forgot to ph the rockwool in water. Tent temperature is at 85 degree is that good or bad also.

2. #2 dlpjr, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
    First you have to soak the rockwool in water, put your seed in the hole provided about 1/2". Then get a knife or something to push the rocckwool to cover the hole. You don't need any light at this point, as the seed can't see any light buried in the rockwool. Then put the rockwool in a plastic bag. This will help hold the moisture in the rockwool. Then put this bag in a warm area in your house. A lot af people use a heating pad, I like the temp to be around 80. What your doing will work, but look germination in a paper towel. Starting your seeds in a wet paper towel is the most popular way to start your seed.

3. so i dont need any light until it sprouts

4. That's right

5. O ok the reason is cause when i was watching people vids and they would soak there wool for 24 hr in a ph around 5.6 is that necessary. Then they put in the seed in the rockwool put the wool in a dome under fluorescents but i dont have any fluorescents.I have the ballast at 50% and im keeping the dome misty and humid hopefully they will sprout. After they sprout i was going to put 1 in the genhydro then the other in coco mix. Here is what my setup and seeds I used. I need to buy a table for dome any suggestions on that would be nice lol

Attached Files:

6. #6 dlpjr, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
    I have never soaked the rookwool for 24 hours, it will drain the water off anyway. I always let the water sit 24 hours before using it. Then soak the wool for a few min to saturate it. Lift it up and let the excess run off, don't squeeze it. You can have your light on It doesn't matter, It will help in heating the seed up. You need moisture and heat to germinate the seed. Its already in the rookwool covered, so no light can get to it. Generally you take a paper towel, wet it, then place the seeds inside the towel. Place the towel in a plastic bag. Then store it in a warm dark spot. In a few days they will germinate. Don't worry about the ph now. I have germinated seed with adjusted ph and without, both worked. What your doing looks fine. They will pop out of there, just don't dick with them keep them warm and moist.

7. Thank you, i"m sure to have more questions as i progress but now all I can do is wait. Do you have any strains you recommend growing? I ordered some more seeds from Attitude. I was looking up strains for beginners so I ordered Sharksbreath from DNA & Red Berry Cherry from Barneys, it also came with LA Woman from DNA as a freebie.

8. Not really man.... I grow White Widows, and Northern Lights. Been doing so for some 30 years. In fact I have been growing the same widow plant for almost 3 years now, with the exception of one run of Heavy Duty Tootie Fruity. A Friend of mine gave me 5 clones. I grew it out and went rate back to my old friend the widow. It wasn't bad smoke but when your used to growing a strain you learn what it likes. I just started a grow journal, the link below if you want to check it out. If you need any more help you can find it on this site.. There are a lot of good growers here.

9. Subbed.
    I'm doing my first grow with canna cocos line.
    Check it out. Hopefully it can help a little.

10. Do you have a link to it

11. Update: Day 4
    They popped out! Their looking great. My first successful germination in a dome & using rockwool. More updates & questions soon.

Attached Files:

12. #12 Slaughter42011, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2013
    Day 6:
    Time to plant them!

Attached Files:

13. Just planted them in their new home. Not doing bad for my first time, hopefully they keep growing. Comments or suggestions Please Add.

Attached Files:

14. don't fire the bulb up at %50... it is supposed to fire up at full power for at least 15 minutes ... just increase the distance for the plant if you dont want to sit around adjusting the lite strength

15. Day 7: Late Update but Still Growing!!!! I had them under 24 hrs since this is my first time using all this stuff. Put them to bed at 12:30 for the first time manually, i'm going to put them on a timer Sunday. Going to turn on at 6:30 to take pics for day 8. Comments or Suggestions Please Add.

Attached Files:

16. looks great so far! im interested to see how it turns out....

17. Day 8: Went to get the rest of my CANNA nutrients. Still growing!!!Comments or Suggestions Please Add.

Attached Files:

18. Day 10: Am I making good progress? How long should
    I wait to change nutes in my Waterfarm kit I was thinking every week, also has anyone used one of these kits before?Comments or Suggestions Please Add.
    "Dream or Die":smoking:

Attached Files:

19. The Gh water farm is awesome...I'm sure you will see that in time. At this point you can wait another week to change the Rez water....more importantly, keep an eye on PH. Fresh hydroton can cause PH drift. Go easy on the nutes, they don't need much if any at the seedling stage.

I'm interested in how this is gonna turn out since you're growing with two different methods, both are looking good.

20. Ok thanks for the advice but I had given it a nute change in the morning but I had followed the GHhydro chart for week 2 hopefully i dont nute burn my baby.:wave: