First time grower

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by TheSonsofHarpy, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Ok so I’m trying to start a new grow. Technically I’ve germed and vegged some plants in my past but have never completed a grow. I have resources and space now to hopefully complete a grow. Having issues with my seedlings atm. This journal is going to be used mostly to log the progress of my grow. Any help/suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated.

starting off I will say a monthish ago I ordered some seeds. I germinated 4 of them. All popped quickly(paper towel/ziploc method). Transplanted them into tiny terracotta pots and put them in a grow tent under led grow light that was 3ish feet away. Threw a couple fans in the tent one oscillator and one set up to pull air out of the tent from the top. Anyway all the seedlings from this toppled over and died pretty quick. I was misting a couple times a day with h20 spray. I think the soil was too wet and/or the air was too dry. Air conditioned and lots of air movement

anyway living situation was a question mark as my lease was expiring but that was sorted so a couple weeks later I started 2 more seeds about a week ago and then 1 more a few days later

germinated them via ziploc paper towel method. They all popped pretty quickly and transplanted them into plastic pots roughly the size of solo cup but a little shorter. This time I decided to put them into an aquarium where I could regulate humidity a little better. The aquarium had an led light which I used. It seemed like it was too far from the seedlings in the first place, probably not even designed for plant growth either. Once I noticed the seedlings getting leggy(one had a seed stuck to the cotyledon leaves and was getting leggy pretty quick) the second one took another day or so and noticed it was also getting leggy. I decided to try to rig my led grow light 3w x 100 into the aquarium. Concerned mostly about distance(I think it’s too close) but also rigging it up it’s not designed for it it also may affect the temp but hopefully can be accounted for

the soil is roughly a 50/50 mix of perlite and miracle grow seed starter mix(w time release ferltilizer) and some sand mixed in. I tested the ph with a little kit from the Home Depot and it showed between 6 & 6.5 (closer to 6 IMO)

I am concerned about the legginess, and want some advice About The light situation or maybe a different approach I should try. Was considering buying some t5 bulbs. I added some sticks to prop up the leggy seedlings that werent upright after I moved them around switching lights out. Also planning on adding some pea gravel to the bottom of the tank

The aquarium light they were under:
    F90C1808-0CCE-476D-9E2F-BEC126D6FC23.jpeg E5CA8B2C-CB09-450E-B544-4ABF838069FA.jpeg

Led they currently under:
    B4379BF9-A0F0-425A-9686-4F717ED4B5C2.jpeg F97EB695-82B7-4B17-9164-B822A1E76877.jpeg

I put them on a “platform” trying to elevate them before I decided to put them under led and they probably were too close. This is before w the digital hydro which has a 24 hour memory :
    A39BA056-8426-4B39-955E-6A311039162C.jpeg

2. Fail. Start over as they will never really come around after getting get that legged out. You could try digging it up. Rinse all the soil away in a pan of water. Coil the stem and replant with just an inch above the soil. I'd likely just start over.
    Start seeds in a half filled cup so if you do get some early stretch you can just add more soil topping off the cup.

Way inadequate light.
    Simplest is your basic CFL
    23 watt (100 watt equivalent)
    6500K color. Blue-White usually called Daylight.
    Place light 1 inch from emerging sprout.
    Don't let plant actually touch the hot glass coil but as close as you can get is best.
    [​IMG]
    Miracle grow soils and fertilizers tend to be to hot for Cannabis but I have seen fair grows running it.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. For larger coverage T5 high output also in 6500K color is good for vegging but like CFLs they do best really close.

[​IMG]

BNW

5. Is the LED no good at all, just for seedlings, and why. Please elaborate thanks.

6. Just my opinion but I'd never use miracle grow for marijuana. Just doesn't make sense when there are so many better soils out there. My bro grew some plants this year put half the seeds in ocean forest half in miracle grow and the ones in ocean forest are 3x bigger and much greener. 50% perlite is also a bit much, 20-30% is fine. As far as the light is concerned I'm not really sure what exactly you are using but I'm doing well in early veg right now with about 200 watts of LED 20 inches from my plants.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. It might have been ok much closer but just looking at the huge stretch your seedling have done tells me they were searching for strong light.

They should be fully leafed out at 4 inches tall. 4 or 5 side branches and big leaves.
    [​IMG]

More like this. :)
    3x3x3 inch square cups

BNW

8. yea it was seed starting mix. I was gonna use just regular peat moss. Didn’t realize this had the time release pellets in them

9. Transferred the seedlings into taller containers, “burying” the legginess. I did damage one of the stems on the seedlings so I don’t expect it to make it. Figured I would try to salvage them anyway. But may try to start a couple more seeds soon. I would like to dial in the right conditions before I pop more.

I got a grow tent setup 3x3 footprint 5 ty tall.
    I’m concerned about getting humidity right as well as airflow.

The tank where I still have the plants temp is getting up to 80 now

again any thought suggestions appreciated
    0E21521F-5CE2-406C-921A-C4BA25CD09D8.jpeg E4027ECF-8197-4197-BBF2-BA88B751ACF2.jpeg

10. The seedling w the damaged stem didn’t make it. The other one looks healthy? The third older seed does not look good. Gonna leave it and see what happens. I do see some green on the leaf so maybe ultimately it will recover

took out the led for the time being replaced w this light
    53D28967-5B5F-49C3-A6BC-C5EC59411F7C.jpeg

I’ve added some pea gravel to the tank as well and put some water in the bottom to raise humidity.
    E54F8C3F-8079-4F36-9D3B-CEFEACB4F4DC.jpeg

This is what it looks like
    0A136C3D-A780-4C04-B049-21D90BE4E93E.jpeg

will try to post some better pics of the plant and will start some more seeds too

11. So took out the led bulb and put the panel back in because I thought theee wasn’t enough heat as the temp range was 61-71

the led has warmed it up a bit. Still concerned the light may be a little too close but seems healthy. The other mangled one has 1 green leaf. Not sure if it will make it or even worth trying to save but I figure it’s not much effort or compromising something else at the moment. Feels a little more dialed in so gonna pop a couple more seeds

some pics from last night
    F680FC5F-1BA3-4AAD-AAF3-54429EE18B1A.jpeg 9E5C05F8-9EB2-46D1-83F5-05B9631FA784.jpeg 906DA403-7B49-4577-8844-96903CB1BD0A.jpeg

12. My goal here is to get some mother plants. Was leaning towards the bonsai mother tree clone method. Want to get a perpetual harvest type situation with a few diff strains

• Like Like x 1
  13. Plant is looking healthy. The mangled one still alive and sprouting but looking very disformed. They have been moved into a veg tent currently with some succulents. started a a bunch more seeds as well

1161442F-660E-49ED-A743-1E60E61A062C.jpeg 317A7E31-A697-4460-81C9-5E7B4028EE96.jpeg

14. Looking healthy.. thinking about topping it. Is too early? Should I cut above the first 2 leaves? AA820347-9DF9-4CA7-8E5E-7F214E5D8822.jpeg 856EE22D-002A-47A8-AB82-C13729B8B115.jpeg

15. Seems to be picking up steam. Will look up some tutorials and maybe too her today. she looks pretty healthy IMO.

54A5F463-34D5-4931-940A-7319B8114881.jpeg 9837F6E1-3E1D-40B7-81AB-2EB205A70759.jpeg

16. Looks good man. Topping is perfectly safe after the 3rd node. And keep that mangled plant if you have the space for it. I grew one like that last year it started out really stunted with leathery/wrinkly leaves that were all fused together and turning yellow. By the end it naturally had a flat canopy of like a dozen tops even tho I never topped it, and produced just as well as all my others that were twice as tall.

• Like Like x 1
  17. The jack herer looking healthy
    695A2246-ED62-49B7-ADB0-FCFD70AFBC82.jpeg 0AFC00FF-3282-496F-9366-4F63DA8476BB.jpeg

The other one “gator breath” still looking pretty mangled but not hurting anything so I’ll let it go to see if he/she gets better
    3C754A6B-4FA9-4EC2-B612-4D6AE639F938.jpeg

Anyway I would like to top tonight if it’s not too early. Not completely sure best spot to cut at. Lmk what y’all think
    199366CA-60A0-4E25-835F-474BF718E1D1.jpeg

18. I would cut at #2 myself, but it depends on what your plan is. Unless you are planning to manifold it, I would probably let it put on a few more nodes, top it and then just lst out your branches out to get a bush. Safe to top either way tho at this time

19. Here's a pic of one I topped a week ago and another one I topped yesterday. Basically you end the main stem right above the point where the new branches are coming in, being careful not to damage the new branches in the process. Always best to use sterilized cutting utensil too, plants can get infections. And I don't really go by nodes as long as there's 2 or more. I go more by the height and what the plant is doing and what my plans are for it, etc.

Attached Files:

20. I want to make it a mother plant. Not sure what the best solution is to minimize energy and maximize clones and space

Will it be possible to for the topped part to develop into a healthy plant and flowered to check the buds and yield?
    I have rooting powder, and organic peat moss if you think that will suffice