First time grower wondering about soil and fertilizer.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by The Mastercard, Jan 29, 2010.

1. #1 The Mastercard, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2010
    I am a first time grower and I am purchasing a small grow tent ( 24 x 24 x 48).

I was planning on using 8 cfl's of 100 watt equivalent to grow 5 plants. The strain I chose for my small grow is the lowryder 2 x ak47 feminized auto flowering.

The soil I planned on using is the miracle grow potting mix mixed 50 50 with perlite.

is that soil absolutely terrible for a first time grower just starting out and is there anything cheap i could buy to improve my soil. I do not live near any hydrophonic stores and mainly have general home improvement stores around me.

I also know nothing of fertilizer and if i would even need it for this strain since it is done in 70 days

40 gallons used soil
    4 cups alfalfa meal
    4 cups bone meal
    4 cups kelp meal
    4 cups powdered dolomite lime
    30 pound bag of earthworm castings . . .
    4 cups of Greensand
    4 cups of Rock Phosphate
    4 cups of diatomaceous earth

2. do i have the right amount of lighting for my size grow?

3. okay i read that and understand.

So i will need 100 watts for the first plant and since i am doing 5 4*50 is 200 so I need 300 total wattage in there.

Since my strain is autoflowering and stays on a 20-4 light cycle should i just get the 6500k spectrum lights?

4. If it was me i would do a mix of both the 6500k (Daylight) and 2700k (Softwhite)

Maybe a little more of the 2700k since they are meant for flower anyway

5. Alright so i have found a new soil composition that i think is better. If this is not good someone please inform me...

2 parts Schultz's Potting Soil Plus.
    1 part Perlite.
    1 part Vermiculite.
    1 part Worm Castings.
    1 SMALL handful of Granulated Dolimite Lime per TWO gallons of mix.

6. That will be much better than MG.

Good luck on your grow:smoking:

7. thanks man. i hope my first grow turns out alright.

8. With a site like this for troubleshooting and advice?

I think it'll go down very well:D