First Time Grower When To Harvest

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by twiggymx, Jun 16, 2014.

1. #1 twiggymx, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2014
    Hey guys im a first time grower just starting out my plant is around 5 weeks into flowering (auto purple) from pyramid seeds. Im just looking for some advice when to harvest it. Im using bio-bizz light mix soil with a 12/12 light ration using a 250 watt hps light. I have not fed my plant any nutrients as of yet as i heard there are nutrients in the soil im using. Here are a couple of pics for you guys to see. DSC_0393.JPG DSC_0392.JPG I know the plant doesnt look the best but im happy for my first attempt.

2. #2 TimesHaveChanged, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2014
    Hi twiggy, first time grower here too. Harvested my first six mm plants a few months ago. Here's some advice from another newbie.

get a handheld microscope to look at the trichomes. The only correct way to know when it is time to harvest, that I have read over and over again, is to look at the trichomes under a microscope. If 50% or more are cloudy then it is time to harvest. If they are mostly clear you leave them alone, if they are amber you went too long. Of course, I highly doubt anyone their first time went too long. It's maddening watching them and not smoking them isn't it? :) The power of the microscope is important too. 45x will give you a steady image but kind of hard (for me) to see inside the trichome. 100x bounces all over the damn place but will get you right on top of the trichome, assuming you can keep your hand still long enough. I never did master this technique, I just went for it after like 8 weeks and I think they looked cloudy.

Best of luck, and on your second attempt just aim to do better then your first.

edit: here is the 45x I have, works fine, I just think I need more real world experience looking at different trichomes.
    http://www.amazon.com/SE-MW10088UV-Pocket-Microscope-Light/dp/B002V10862

3. thanks for the advise i suppose i best go out and buy myself one haha

4. That's the best way to do it. I'm no expert (5 weeks into my first budding cycle) but it looks like you're not trying to spend money on a microscope so just wait till 75-85% of those hairs turn red. It's not as exact science as the microscope, but it'll get you close.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum