First time grower... needs some advice

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Grimreefer623, Apr 1, 2011.

1. #1 Grimreefer623, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2011
    So I'm attempting for the first time to seriously grow some marijuanna, and so far i dont feel like i've done too bad of a job. I have basically no money for resources so i got a small homemade grow box, and have been using a single cfl bulb for about 2 weeks. heres what the plants look like now
    [​IMG]
    i apologize for the image quality.. had to use webcam on a laptop..
    I just switched from cfl lighting to this single led light
    [​IMG]
    was this a good idea or should i go back to the cfl? i've always heard leds are better.
    i welcome any advice anyone has to give and would appreciate the help. i love my babies and i dont want em to die haha

2. What size is the cfl, are the plants getting plenty of fresh air. Is the heat stable in the box. Do you ph the water? Will u transplant the flowers to bigger pots when they get bigger. Is the cfl blue?

3. What's the Kelvin rating for the bulb? If you want to get a the way through this grow you have to get a little more light and most importantly fresh air exchange and temps, I just went through HELL with a small grow box...
    Gl80 (2.7"x2.7"x5.11") 250w MH/HPS Bubbleponics
    Veg. was perfect in winter cuz the temps were at 40's so tent stayed a nice 73f-75f
    Flowering for 8 weeks till spring hit temps climbed into the 70's and my tent was at 91f resi temp was 85f and root rot claimed my girls DOA I noticed it but was too late:(
    So my suggestion would be to get a fan going to exchange the air and maybe get 1 or 2 more lights going later in the growth stages

4. that and I would say the 3 seedling that are together get them in there own pots befor you have problems and scrog is right you need fresh air and and more lights

5. Hi Aido, the cfl is a 14w, 3000k, and it emits more of a yellow light than blue. Should I stick with the cfl or use the led bulb I showed in the pic? The plants only get fresh air for a couple hours a day when I bring them to the counter to get sunlight every morning, unfortunately I don't have a way to put a fan into the box. I have a computer fan, but im not sure what I could do with it. I'd say the heat is pretty stable, the box is made of pretty thick material. I run the water through a brita filter before watering every other day, I dont have ph strips at the moment. I was planning on building or finding a bigger box soon, and moving the plants to bigger pots as they grew. Thanks for your advice yo :smoke:

6. I'd cut a hole at the top of the box just big enough to fit the fan, mount it so it pulls air out and cut a small rectangle out of the other side bottom so it pulls the fresh air in
    Try both lights you need "MORE POWER" and ScrOG screen the box that will help:)

7. Any idea how i could power the fan? all i have is a computer fan. i like that idea tho.. i tried putting a splitter in the socket and used both bulbs for a night and a day and i noticed the tips on some of the plants started yellowing.. should i move the light up? :confused: whats a s

8. Any idea how i could power the fan? all i have is a computer fan. i like that idea tho.. i tried putting a splitter in the socket and used both bulbs for a night and a day and i noticed the tips on some of the plants started yellowing.. should i move the light up? :confused: whats a ScrOG screen yo?

9. #10 ScrOGhead, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Try this:
    THIS WAS COPIED FROM ANOTHER SITE
    12v adapter
    Simply cut the wires at the end, and strip down about a ¼ inch of bare wire is showing.

If you don’t know which wire to wire up, for instance they’re all black wires, don’t worry, it will only work one way, and if wired wrong, will simply not work at all. But the idea is, black to black, red to red. This one here that I used, had one black and one red coming from the fan, and from the adapter, one black and one black and white. The black and white wire from the adapter got wired to the all black wire from the fan. And the all black wire from the adapter, gets wired to the all red wire from the fan.

To add another fan, just connect the wires of the same together. All black goes with black, all red goes with red. So you would still only use 2 connectors all together. Here’s a few more pictures. But for the most part, I just wanted to show how simple it is. Make sure you get an adapter which is rated DC for the output.

10. What nutes are you using?

11. ScrOG (Screen of Green) it's a screen you use to LST (low stress training) the plant under so all the nodes get enough light and you can keep it in a small area too:)

12. awesome. i havent started with any nutes yet

13. #14 ScrOGhead, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2011
    Probably a N def. get some nutes but start out very light 1/8 strength and go from there but with every dose give at least 2-3 days to notice change and remember less is more:)

14. good shit. just installed the fan, got a great air flow runnin through now. i rewired the lights to be up a little higher and put both bulbs in again. what are your thoughts on using tinfoil, ya or nah? thanks for the nutes info, was wonderin bout that..

15. #16 Grimreefer623, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2011
    whats wrong here? it just keeps fallin over..
    [​IMG]

16. update: Doin' a test run with these
    [​IMG]
    on the one plant thats almost completely yellow..
    the instructions say 2 spikes per 4 inches of pot width but i just broke one in half and stuck it in each side. the nute analysis for the spikes is
    total nitrogen.....13%
    2% nitrate nitrogen
    2% urea nitrogen
    2% other water soluble nitrogen
    available phosphate....4%
    soluble potash....5%
    derived from ureaform, triple superphosphate, potassium nitrate, and not more than 0.2% chlorine.
    sound okay? should i see how it effects the one or go ahead and dose em all?

17. Looks dead to me:( I'd scrap the spikes and head over to a hydro store, but honestly your going to need a better light start out with a 250w HPS and go from there if you are interested I have a Sunburst MH/HPS with fan and both MH and HPS eye hortilux bulbs let me know I'll cut you a deal and we can do everything through eBay

18. yeah well i got like zero dollars man.. i've spent like $9 on this whole project lol. its still alive for sure.. just keeps fallin over like its too tall or some shit.. i dunno. thanks tho ill keep that in mind if i do run into some cash

19. Scrog is right you need more power dude. The plant will absorb as much as you give her. That plant you showed looks stretched like crazy. Cause the plant is trying to go for this little light so far away....

Go get like 3-4 cfls get your wattage at least at like 150watts. You really want more but you seem on a tight ass budget.
    Walmart has 150w cfls for like $8.
    Glad you got your ventilation all set. but you need more light..

Ohh and one more thing, try to stay away from normal brand soil and consumer shit on the garden isle. Some may be alright....
    But look in to getting stuff from a hydro store. any hydro store..
    Growing indoors inst all the same as growing outdoors, let a lone roses vs marijuana..