First Time Grower, Is My Gear List OK?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Old Codger, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Hi all, posted in a thread about seed banks, figured I would get your insight/suggestions on the gear I intend to purchase. Am here in Virginia where personal cultivation takes effect 7-1-21. I will be ordering everything in the next few days and don't want to overlook anything. My list is the culmination of 2 months of research so take it for what its worth. Anyway, here goes:

Marshydro 4"X4"X6.5" grow tent
    HLG 600Rspec LED Grow Light
    AC Infinity 6" Fan/Carbon Canister Filter/Ducting
    Cloth Pots (5 gallon)
    Soil: Fox Farms Coco Loco W/ Nature's Living Soil (Super Soil from this site: “Just Add Water" Super Soil Grow Guide: Easy Organic Weed | Grow Weed Easy)
    Spring Water for watering
    And the other items such as temp/humidity meters, ph meters, tds meter, small fan for air movement, etc.

What do you think and am I missing anything? Any input from your experience will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Old Codger

2. <-- been growing in the dirt outside since 1976.
    Your way overthinking it. Kick hole in ground with heel, Drop seed in hole, Cover and Pee on it, Walk away. :)

(your list looks fine)

BNW

• Like Like x 3
  3. Nice set up for a begginer grow good luck!!
    Maybe 1 o 2 mini clip on fans?
    Maybe humidity meters- they are cheap on you can get like 4 of them for less than 10 bucks on amazon
    And of course if humidity is tooo high, you can get a dehumidifier for like $20 or less

• Like Like x 1
  4. Amen!

Sent from my LM-X420 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Are you totally set on that led ?
    I am old school and i know SOME of these new led will pull the same as a hps. But those lights cost 12 and 1500 for a 4/4 area . If you look at craigs list if its in your area . Get a xxxl hood that is 6 or 8 inch . And blow that fan through it . Get a 600 watt bulb ballast hood for 50 bucks from craigs list . The hps is a much better light then the any led under 500 . my opinion .
    I did a run using a few leds i am pulling 50 % of the yield as hps . There is zero power savings .

6. I like the light. Everything else is optional. hlg lights are incredible. Accept no substitutes. Only thing you'll need is a watt meter $13 ebay ok. When you start seeing K def and Mag def and def not invented yet, it is time to get out the watt meter and dim it down a bit.

7. lux meter ? How would a watt meter help him

8. You worry too much! To begin with indoor growing the basics are a tent, a light, and a fan. A couple of pots, preferably in 2-3 different sizes, for each stage of the grow. Soil. Seeds. Anything else you can pick up as you go. Those things would be: 2 extractors, tubes that fit on those extractors, 1carbonfilter that fits on the extractor in case you worry about smell. A few other fans. Some measurement equipment for PH, humidity, temperature, lumens,.. long story short, you can grow plants with all this stuff, but also simply with a light and a fan. You have everything you need to start in your list. Goodluck!

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. That is the exact light I'd buy if I needed to replace my current HLG 600. Amazing lights.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Good Morning To All,

I got my gear and set it up and am doing some tests before the day when growing for personal use goes into effect where I live. I have some concerns as a result of my observations so far. First, set-up particulars are:

4X4X6.5 grow tent, one vent at bottom open opposite exhaust discharge in top of tent
    HLG 600Rspec LED light 48 inches from floor set on 50%
    AC Infinity T6 exhaust fan ducted out of tent in the top, set to fan speed of 3 of 8
    Smail 9" oscilating fan on floor
    No soil or plants in the grow tent
    Temp/Humidity meters on floor and in ceiling near the fan
    Ambient room temp of 71F, humidity of 45-55%

Now, with the above specifics, I am seeing 85 to 90+F temps in both top and bottom and humidity readings of 33-37% humidity. Reading various grow guides, temp and humidity are not in the optimal ranges (75-80F, 65% humidity for veg) I have placed open containers of water on the floor in an effort to get the humidity up but no joy. I know the light is giving off significant heat (the large plate heatsink and dirver box are hot) and that no doubt is contributing to the heat factor.

So, above said, been thinking of building a makeshift hood for the light to pull more heat out and possible a humidifer to get the humidity up.

What do you experienced tent growers think? Am I over thinking this or do I have valid concerns? Any input/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Old Codger

11. Ac infinity fans are no good when it comes to pulling air through a filter. Open all the vents at the bottom of the tent. Dont worry about humidity, just temps.

This is what you want instead of the ac infinity.

Vortex VTX.JPG VTX800.JPG Vortex S line.JPG
    The "S Line" fans are very similar to ac infinity. Once you hit a certain amount of static pressure, the fans basically stall out and dont move any air regardless of how much u turn the fan up. variac.jpg
    Variac voltage controller (the speed controller you need for a VTX fan)

The bigger your filter is, the easier air moves through it. Ive got a 10''x39'' filter in my tent. 8'' fan. I run it at 30-50% and it moves plenty of air to cool my 1000w HPS. It is also almost silent at these low speeds. Tent never gets over 75.
    IMG_6847.JPG

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. I dunno, mine seems to do just fine moving air out of my 4x4. I'm also running LEDs so my temps are much, much lower than one would have with a HID setup. I have an AC Infinity 6" fan, runs very quiet at low speeds and barely much louder at high speeds. This is with a filter in place, too.

13. Hi Cthulhu23

Am interested in what temps you see in your tent and the LED light type. I am thinking maybe the HLG 600 Rspec might be a bit much for a 4X4?

• Like Like x 1
  14. So, I personally am a little concerned with your tent height and the light you have. That's a big light for a 4x4x6.5. I imagine it *is* putting off quite a bit of heat. A taller tent would mean you'd have more space up top for the hot air to move to. Also, a 6.5" tent doesn't give you much space to grow in if you have a tall plant...you can only raise that light up so high!

Have you measured your lux/ppfd where you have your light set height and power-wise? With LEDs the best measure of what you're giving your plants is ppfd. I believe HLG has a LUX to PPFD conversion web page just not sure your light is on that page or not.

The reason I ask is because your plants will require different levels of light at the various stages of growth, moving from low light levels as a seedling up to very high light levels in flowering. You may not need to up your lights to full power, depending how your ppfd values are.

With LEDs, it's more efficient to run at lower light levels but keep the lights closer to the plants. Google the inverse square law to understand why. Plus, running at lower light levels means you're putting off less heat. If I were in your situation, I would try to decrease the power to my lights in order to decrease temperatures, and lower my lights accordingly.

I have grown with a humidifier in my tent, and it works fine if you're not venting air constantly (which, at high temps, you'll have to do). If I had to vent due to high temps I would consider putting the humidifier outside the tent but right near the intake so that you're pulling in humid air, rather than trying to humidify dry air in the tent that's then being immediately vented out.

15. #15 GroBuddy, Jun 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    Never will that be too much, I run 720 watts in a 4x4. 70 with lights off 78 to 80 with lights on. You have to adjust your grow to achieve proper temps and humidity. Rather that be heat, a/c, humidifier, or dehumidifier. Using ink birds helps tremendously. I run a 8 in ac infinity never at max speed

16. Just replied above - yes, I do think that Rspec is a bit much for a 4x4. I have 4x HLG QB96 elite v2s. I have run them at full power (~225 watts each which is A LOT) which was total overkill for my plants and caused me tons of problems and very high temps which required me to do what you're doing - vent a lot of air quickly. The plants definitely did not enjoy that intense of a light and the finished product was mediocre at best.

My last photoperiod grow I ran my lights at ~75 watts each, which got me into the 600-800 ppfd range in flowering (This is the ideal range). My temps, with the T6 running at between 3-6, ranged from 75 F (which is what I was aiming for) to 85F. If it went up, I simply pushed the fan up another notch. I never saw any problems with decreased air flow even if I ramped it up to full power (though the sides of my tent pulled in a lot!). My finished product was good, if not very good.

I am now growing autos which require significantly lower light levels than photoperiods. I have my lights running probably at 35 watts each (300-400ppfd at the end of flowering), and my temps are basically at the ambient room temp 71-75F. I had to use a heater when I started my grow to get to 80F which is what autos do best at as seedlings & veg. I will note I grow in my unfinished basement because the temps are lower and more stable there.

And, to throw another layer of complexity your way, have you heard of VPD (Vapor Pressure Deficit)? That's a nice rabbit hole for you to consider going down if you want to optimize your temp and humidity. But I'd get your temps under control first :)

17. Are you growing with LEDs or HID? Watts is not a great measure of light if you're using LEDs; PPFD is what you need to consider.

18. If you think you're lights are too intense add co2

19. I mean...yes. But that's not feasible for everyone, nor even something I would consider recommending to someone who is just starting to grow. I think we're more in the "getting conditions right to grow a good first crop 101" not "advanced growing methods 405" ;)

20. LED actually watts total output and ppfd should be considered. Imo