First time grower and aquaponics

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by greenmamabean, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Is aquaponics considered an expert grow thing? Is it possible to be successful with it? I've been researching it a bit and it's super intriguing so I'm sort of leaning toward it.

Someone asked if I thought I should start with hydroponics first to see if it works well for me and then move on to the aquaponics. I don't see why I would want to get everything set up for one way and learn nutrients and all that, only to change it completely? Looking for opinions and input.

2. ok so...i am not an expert but here is what i have learned in my research

hydro and aqua can grow some major bud...but...it is much less forgiving than soil...if something goes wrong it goes really wrong really fast....also, my understanding is they are both much more high maintenance than soil grow and require special nutes and such to do well...

also...it is also my understanding that once you begin plants in a particular medium, you should stay with it...the shock of transferring from say hydro to soil could damage them

i would do ALOT of research on the ins and outs before i jump into the hydro/aqua arena and do your build, have all your equips and supplies assembled before you start

good luck with whatever method you choose!

3. #3 DazedAndStoned, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2015
    Aquaponics is a ton of work. Too many fish and not enough plants and your plants will not be able to filter out enough toxins and you'll kill the fish. Not enough fish and you'll kill the plants
    You must do a ton of research, and need to know your strains nutrient requirement and your fish requirements. I'd start with hydroponics first and just see if you can grow some buds with bottled nutes first
    A project like that to do it properly will require immense capital, you'll need tons of pumps, filters, automatic fish feeders, pH and PPM monitors. But once you get going and know what you are doing, imo it is one of the most economical ways about growing. One day I will be trying it, I am a civil engineering student at the moment, working towards my Masters, and I plan to build an off grid community with all fruits and veggies grown this way, but I am no where near ready and I don't want to kill 1000 fish
    Just do a ton of research before jumping into it, maybe grow some plants in the meantime , this isn't exactly something you can hop into without any growing or fish farming experience, and every setup will be different so no one can tell you your plant to fish ratio. Just my $0.02
    Sent from my Spaceship using the Tapatalk App
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1348058-DaS-Perpetual-Stealth-Cabs-Grow-Chronicles