First Time Grow (Tips&Tricks Welcome)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CrucialCool, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Hey what’s up guys. I’ve been using marijuana for it’s sweet, sweet benefits for quite some time. Then, considering myself a pretty good DIY-er I had an idea— why not actually try to grow some myself? I’ve also been using GC for a while to look up whatever information I was curious about while high, so I finally decided to make an account. Please excuse all noobness.

With this initial grow, I’m trying to get a feel for how the plant itself grows. What can it handle? What room is there for error? Sorta just a test run, which is why I’m starting with the bare essentials haha. I’m using a 600W LED on a wall timer, but will probably buy another set of lights to help with budding later. Any feedback or tips from more experienced growers would be much appreciated. I started this project on Nov. 15th.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Any error you make.. Make it during the veg stage. These are very resilient plants and can bounce back from just about anything... Just don't over-feed / keep up with your watering's and get your set up (extractions/airflow/temps etc) dialled in...& u wont go far wrong!
    Best of luck to you mate

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Much appreciated! I’m waiting until I get my next paycheck to buy a few more things for the set up like a reflective tent.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Yeah, i use a tent too..... Although i wish i just had a whole room to work with !!! … It is good to keep everything stable though... What else do you intend on buying? Maybe i can give you a few tips/suggestions etc...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Man tell me about it. I’m doing my grow out of a closet lol.
    -two tents for veg and flower
    -bigger pots. I’ve been hearing a lot about smart pots or something like that.

There’s a lot of stuff I’ve been questioning if I need or not like filters, humidifiers etc. I feel like if you’re going for the greatest yield you get that stuff, but this is just a barebones grow for me to see if I can lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. If you skimp on anything. Don't skimp on the lighting!
    Nice looking startup you have there!

What type of soil ya using? I myself tend to use the fox farm ocean forest mixed with some extra perlite. Seems nice enough to do the trick

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. #7 PAOLO1981, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Amen brother.
    All i would say you will need for a "lost cost" successful grow is the following in your arsenal
    * Any light that gives off a minimum of 150 "true" watts per plant grown! (E.g. i use a 1000w HPS for 5 plants) = 200w per plant.
    * Extraction fan (I use a 6") - Connected to a carbon filter - The carbon filter is optional depending on if you care your buds will stink in flower or not.... (But you want to create some negative pressure in your grow tent using your extraction fan) - I do not bother with an intake fan - I just open my intake flaps on tent)
    * Decent soil - I grow 100% organic.
    This gives you the benefits of not having to flush or PH your soil through out your grow
    * Perlite
    * Root Stimulator
    * Good (organic) nutrients (*Grow/Bloom etc)
    * Oscillating fan to mimic a natural breeze
    * Hydrometer - So you can constantly check the humidity and temperature within your grow space
    * Decent pots - I use 5 gallon smart pots - I don't bother transplanting.
    * Jewellers loupe, so you can check your trichomes prior to harvest!

The above is a good starting point mate - and wont cost you the earth.

Some peeps here use high tech QB's (quantum boards) and they can yield up to 2g per watt used - But they are not particularly cheap compared to HPS.

Anything you need, give me a shout mate!

You got this & good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks a lot Pat! I’m using this organic &natural soil. I noticed after the fact that Miracle Gro made it, but since it’s “organic & natural” I’d suppose most of the Miracle Gro crap is left out. I keep hearing people mention Fox Farm, may have to look into it.

Attached Files:

9. You’ve given me a nice list of things that I actually forgot thanks man. Not too worried about smell, but I need to get a fan in here for breeze. And I DEF need to pick up a hydrometer. I think I’m gonna continue the led route so I don’t have to worry much about heat. Thanks for the support!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. No worries pal - Always here
    Just keep an eye on the old MG soil - Fingers crossed it works out well for you :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. I have the same soil right now here’s my progress 1 month veg and 1 month flower and it’s a bagseed with 200 watt full spectrum not sure what true watt is and it’s behind flower I just need more light :p

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Looking good! What size are those pots you’re using? How long did you wait/what size did you let them grow to before transplanting?(if you transplanted)

13. Hey what’s up guys. Hope everyone had an great holiday! Just wanted to give a quick update:

Took these photos today, 2 weeks in. Some nice leaves coming in. I’m a little worried about the drooping of the leaves, but I feel good about the nice green color. Lemme know what you think.

Attached Files:

14. Are they wet or dry?

15. they’re a little wet. I was drunk last night and got a little heavy-handed with last night’s watering lol. That probably explains it.

16. Is there holes in those cups?

17. yeah there’s several holes at the bottom for drainage. I want to head out to get some actual pots whenever my body summons the energy

• Like Like x 1
  18. Don’t bother those will be fine for a couple weeks or so, maybe try to get some better soil and bigger pots, how much room do you have?

19. I’ve got a nice sized closet 3’x4’x8’

20. Nice I’m jelly lol mines 2x4x5

• Like Like x 1