First Time Grow Need Help With Lighting Plz

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by lj2187, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Hi, blades this is my first grow Ive decided to go hydro but for the life of me I cant decide on lights and honestly need some solid help from someone with experience.

my tent is this i just ordered it

Aviditi PTU-68 Mylar Reflective Hydroponic Grow Tent, 36-Inch Wide by 20-Inch Deep by 63-Inch High: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

for those afraid of links 36-Inch Wide by 20-Inch Deep by 63-Inch High
    I wanna do 5 plants i dont expect them all to survive but lets say all 5 do and i stick them in the tent what lighting is best for all of the plants to maximize yields. CFL, MH, HPS doesnt matter i was thinking 600 watt CFL but that might be to much? any help would be greatly appreciated :D. ( ive done alot of reading and watching but some many people have different ways) my strain will be nirvana northern lights.

2. You need to get a 600w digital hps.And get a MH bulb so you can use the MH bulb for vegging and switch to hps for flowering.Or just use the HPS bulb the whole grow.A 600w cfl would be a disadvantage in my opinion.600w hps can easily grow 5 plants.100w per plant the 600w would be perfect.

3. I agree with growbig2. Using MH for veg and HPS for flower will give you the most lumens per watt and the best spectrum for you plants.

The downside of HD lighting is it can produce more heat that needs to be dealt with.

4. thank you very much.

@marsdude what do you mean HD lighting?

also i know theres a math equation for CO2 amount i can use i was wondering if someone can just tell me how i should run my CO2 as far as how long and how much? other than that i think i'm ready and the help is appreciated

5. HD stands for High Density. Metal Halide (MH) or High Pressure Sodium (HPS) are both High Density light systems.

For example a typical CFL emits about 61.5 lumens per watt. A high effeicncy HPS bulb in the 600w range will emit 158.3 lumens per watt.

Over twice the lumens for less than half of the cost in energy.

6. [quote name='"Marsdude"']HD stands for High Density. Metal Halide (MH) or High Pressure Sodium (HPS) are both High Density light systems.

For example a typical CFL emits about 61.5 lumens per watt. A high effeicncy HPS bulb in the 600w range will emit 158.3 lumens per watt.

Over twice the lumens for less than half of the cost in energy.[/quote]

High density? At what point are we measuring the density of a light bulb lol

I think you mean High Intensity Discharge - HID

7. My :smoking: bad sir. You are correct.

The other stuff I said was correct however. HID lighting is the way to go if you can deal with the heat they produce.

8. Since nobody has said yet, ditch the CO2 for now. Your first few grows are all learning experiences. If you add too many factors in your first grow you will end up with a nightmare of headaches trying to figure out which one went wrong.

9. That is really good advice.