First time grow, need advice please!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by codebreaker1003, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Hi first of all im new to growing, ive grown all sorts of other things in my hydro but never kush. First of all i live at home so this needs to be stealth so what im doing is making a box thats 4ft tall, 2.5ft wide and 1.5ft long and im putting it in a seperate section of my attic. I dont have tons of money to blow on this so im trying to keep it simple and cheap. I have a cheap hydro system with 6 spaces for plants, it can be found on amazon and many other sites as "Hydrofarm Emilys garden system". My lights are two 2ft t5's. My plan is to grow auto dwarfs (blackjack, cream caramel, SAD, and vertigo from sweet seeds) Im wondering if these lights are good enough, and if this box if big enough... My plan is to grow either 2 or 3 plants at one time. Also i could use some tips on how much nutrients i should use (to start/when to add more; I get mine from school, I think its floragrow, flora bloom etc..) (I grow hydro in school for foods class, its a pretty big setup with a 1000w hps, so that is where im getting my ph tester and my ph up/down...and i think we have a thingy that measure the amt of nutrients in the water its like a stick that u put in the water and it lights up a number)
    Feel free to tell me that this is going to fail horribly and what i can do to make this better! ( or if im posting in the wrong section of the forum!!)
    I will post pictures hopefully by tommorrow, but tuesday latest
    Thanks in Advance, Brian.

2. If your going to grow in your attic you need major venting setup, its a must with that much heat. Look into a cooling fan and an exhaust fan, they arent really cheap. You know your supposed to be 18 or over to post on this site, right? If you are then just ignore that comment.

3. Yea i forgot to mention that im hooking up a fan from the box to my attic duct fan so it doesnt stink up the house, provides proper ventillation, and keeps it cool. And this grow is happening from october to december/january so my attic wont be hot or cold id say about 70 degrees (if i realize its too cold i plan on putting a head lamp in the box)

4. Its not the lights that is going to cause heat, its the attic itself. Heat from your house rises to your attic, and since most people dont have rooms in their attic, they are cooled with the main cooling, and during winter they get even hotter. Heat is going to be your biggest issue, imo.

5. Well i can use one of those window air conditioners to cool the entire section of he attic im growing in, what is the pristine temperature for growing?

6. T5's are the way to go. You can buy HO that produce 54 watts per tube. I'm now seeing why people like them so much. They put out more lumens per watt than any other light.

7. T5's are great for veg, but don't compare to hps in flower. You won't get as dense or big of buds with a t5 as you would hps. As for the window a/c unit, during winter that could cause a major concern. If someone see's that, they might start to suspect something. I mean, who is using a/c in winter, ya know? Just a thought.

8. use a good exhaust fan (like 452cfm), exhaust it out of the attic and use the intake from another room

9. As for the lights i think im just gonna buy an hps online next week when i get paid, i found a 150watt hps for around 60bucks, im wondering if i should just spend the extra few bucks on a better one, whats a good site for cheap hps lights? I want to spend up to 120 max because i need money for the seeds and fans, but if the cheap 150watt is enough ill buy that.... And in regards to the heat in my attic im thinking of just reversing a duct fan in my attic and attaching it to my box. Im afraid it will pump too much cold air in so ill have to keep the duct fan off and maybe hook up two fans to the box (one pointing in an one pointing out) and the one pointing out will be running faster than the one pointing in so the decreased pressure will cause the cold air to enter through the tube and the fan pointing in will be pushing warm air in from the attic hopefully making a good temp.... Think that will work? Or i can get the window a/c unit and ill just keep it in the attic and not in the window so no one will see it and itll do its job of keeping my plants at the right temp...

10. [quote name='"Indi Iri"']use a good exhaust fan (like 452cfm), exhaust it out of the attic and use the intake from another room[/quote]

That is a great idea, my room vent is right next to where im growing so ican easily do that.... Thanks ! My room is generally around 72 for about 14 hours and it drops to 68 for about 10... Are those temps acceptable for growing?

11. Thanks alot everyone, im going to snap some pictures tommorrow and ill start a grow journal when i get everything set up

12. But you need to remember to get a filter on the exhaust fan or you will be getting a lot of unwanted attention

13. [quote name='"Indi Iri"']But you need to remember to get a filter on the exhaust fan or you will be getting a lot of unwanted attention[/quote]

Ill do that too, would that be to mask the smell or what? And a carbon filter should work right?

14. Yes and yes

15. [quote name='"Indi Iri"']But you need to remember to get a filter on the exhaust fan or you will be getting a lot of unwanted attention[/quote]

Ill do that too, would that be to mask the smell or what? And a carbon filter should work right?

16. Yes it will mask the smell, and yes carbon filter will work great

17. Whoops sorry didnt mean to send that twice my iphones buggin hahah... Thanks alot for the help

18. Check out htgsupply.com they have some killer deals. You can get a 400w hps in a euro cooled hood with lens bulb everything shipped for just over $200. I was gonna get that but got a better hookup from a buddy.

19. [quote name='"Jbudz23"']Check out htgsupply.com they have some killer deals. You can get a 400w hps in a euro cooled hood with lens bulb everything shipped for just over $200. I was gonna get that but got a better hookup from a buddy.[/quote]

Ill check it out, ill have to price out everything because im not sure ill have 200 to spend unless a 400w would increase my harvest durastically over a 150w plus 2 t5's so that i can offset the price with some money i get from the harvest...