First time grow, just looking for constructive criticism

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ShiftyEyes, May 23, 2016.

1. Hey guys thanks for reading. I have been lurking these forums for a while now and decided to finally join up and share my grow with you. Not exactly sure how this forum works so I just want to get as much info out there as possible so I can learn as much as possible.

I started my plants about a week ago. This is my very first grow and while I have done a fair amount of research there is a vast amount of knowledge of growing that I would like to learn. I have 5x northern lights auto flower from Nirvana shop and also a few mystery seeds. I germinated all the seeds in a moist paper towel for 2 days and within that time 100% germinated (15 of 15). I planted them in Dr Earth soil (red solo cups) and mixed in a good amount of perlite. I planted them all and they all broke ground within 48 hours.

Early on I lost a couple seedlings for various reason. From what I understand I lost one due to 'damping off' and I am now being more strict with watering. I do have access to a pH kit and I pH all the water (bottled Poland springs) that goes in the soil. I have one seedling that appears to have a small bite taken out of one of the first true leaves. However about 4 days since I've noticed it still appears to be growing well albeit slightly distorted.

I constructed my own grow box to start them off as I plan to bring them all outside when they are ready. I built a small rig with 8 CFL lights. These lights say 100 watts each but also say they act like 23 watts or something like that so I was a bit confused by that. However they look like they are getting plenty of light and most of them look happy. I lined the walls with tin foil (all I had, Mylar was hard to find) and I did a very good job of keeping it smooth. I use a window fan with an exhaust and intake fan and it has good circulation. I don't have a thermometer but it feels like the temperature is good. Warm but not hot and I am not sure about humidity and that worries me. They have been outside 2 days so far for about 4 hours at a time and I bring them back inside under 24/0 light. From what I know it looks like my babies are doing quite well but I know there is a lot more I need to know. I'm just looking for some people with experience who would mind talking with me about my grow. Anything would help really I'm open to suggestions. Please let me know if you would like additional information and I would be happy to pass that along to you.

I will include a few photos so please don't hesitate to look and send me a reply. Thanks for reading, happy growing. -Shifty

Attached Files:

2. I also forgot to mention, I have encountered a few other problems. 2 of my seedlings leaves appear to be pointing straight up. They don't appear to be stretching be they are certainly vertical. What can this mean.

Also I have noticed a few insects crawling around with I believe is the culprit for the bite mark taken from my seedling. What can be done to keep pests away?

3. Leaves pointing up just means the leaf is searching for light just make sure you get your CFL's within a few inches of the top of the plant and keep raising it as the plant grows. As for insects look into neem oil or insecticidal soap. And when you put these things outside use a high quality potting mix with large(15GAL) pots to put them in. the more room for roots the bigger the plant/harvest will be... good luck !

4. Thanks for the reply. For the first week I had my lights about an inch away from the plants but I decided to move them back to about 3 inches when I saw a couple dark tips on one seedling. It made me nervous. However it is only one or 2 seedlings that are straight up like that and for the most part all the plants are an equal distance from the light. Do you suspect it could be anything else?

Have you ever heard of Dr Earth soil? It does have many good things in it that I have read are beneficial for marijuana plants. However I was considering going with FF because of all the positive reviews.

5. Id go with pro mix or fox farms. Look into dolomite lime. Its a soil ph buffer. And mycorrhizal fungi, its beneficial fungi for your root zone - will easily double or triple the yeild outdoors

6. Looking good so far man. Keep up the good work! I just hope you keep this journal alive til the end. I'd love to see how these girls finish up.

7. Appreciate the kind words, I have been super busy so I haven't been able to update much, only when I need help with problems. The plants are doing great, the autos are 2 weeks into flower and they look amazing. They are gonna produce very well for me. They are all in 5 gallon smart pots now and I've been super cropping and tying down the photoperiods.

Attached Files:

8. Awesome training methods. I too supercrop & LST with great results.
    And great choice of pots too. Right now I'm running a Heavyweight seeds Dream Machine outdoors which I've manifolded/mainlined in a 7 gallon fabric pot & I'm also running 5 autos in 3 gallon fabric pots indoors. It's my first time using the 3 gallons so we'll see how it goes. I used to swear by 5 gallon Home Depot buckets, but after using these fabric pots, I'll never go back to plastic.
    Good luck with yours & happy growing.

9. Lol, this gave me a chuckle. You just randomly list some ingredients for this beginner and toss in some total BS info too. Please provide me with some studies that show mycorrhizal fungi in promix or other peat will double or triple the yield outdoors.

OP - be careful taking advice from everyone on this forum. There is lots of good and some bad. This is not good advice, I'm not even sure what to call it. GreenBushes is suggesting that you look into a few random components that would be required to mix a quality organic soil that many of us like to grow in. But you don't just mix promix with dolomite lime and stick plants in it. Lol.

- Tex

10. There is one thing I would like to add. The best thing to increase yield on autos is to plant in the final pot from the beginning and to scrog. I'm at day 44 using ffof and happy frog mix with 20% perlite mix and all ff nutes and these think different are bigger than expected for 44 days budding wise and stems are monsters. Planted in .50 walmart bags lol. Drinks a gallon per plant every other day

1476853688799.jpg 1476853701640.jpg 1476853716202.jpg 1476853724827.jpg 1476853736078.jpg

Sent from my SM-S978L using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. BTW forgot to mention there are 4 here and final yield estimate a bit over a lb.

12. Awesome keep us updated! I've been doing lots of research about growing and I'm going to start growing some auto northern lights, heard there easy to grow and forgiving. Good luck and stay high

13. They are and a good low odor strain until the cure that's when the smell really comes out. I love northern lights