first time grow, indoor, cfl's

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by nova_stoner, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Today i started building my grow box it will be 4x4x6. I plan to use 4-5 42w cfl's over hopefully 4-5 plant (not sure weather chronic or white demon) plus i will have two sets double flors at 40w i am going to paint the room flat white. It took a couple days and a lot of persuasion to convince my wife but she finally caved. sweet. But anyway i need to control the smell big time so i plan to build a carbon scrubber and also a ONA bucket.I hope to post picture's throught the whole time and please be kind not only is this my first grow it is also my first journel on this site.AND PLEASE GIVE ME LOTS OF IDEAS AND LOTS OF FEED BACK...:wave:

2. so my buddy helped me out today and hooked me with a bunch of blueberry seeds which was pretty sweet. I went to the store and bought a couple flors and my wife stole them and put them in the kitchen oh well guess i need to get some more..

3. :wave: Hi welcome to GC. :)

You will find lots of people here prepared to help you out and make your first grow a success. Read other journals too, that helps a lot.

I think you're gonna need more light for 5 plants. 100 actual watts per plant is the general rule, but I find more helps!

What soil/ nutes will you be using?
    Are you controlling temps/humidity/pH?
    Will you be lsting or scrogging?

We like pics! :hello:

Good Luck. :)

4. Hey thanks for the info on the lights. As for the soil and nuets my buddy suggested some to me i can remember the name of them but there's lots of time i am still currently working on the grow room it is made of a lot of recycle building materials so it looks pretty bad but it saved me a lot of money and the plants don't care what the walls are made of, so as for the method i need to do some more research. but as soon as i get the room painted there will be pics.The room is in an unheated building and it is supposed to be -16c tonight so i got lots of time to figure out all the details til it atleast warms up a bit..

5. Last night i started my grem and the first seed cracked in 12 hr over the next 8 hr the other 4 cracked as well so tonight i planted 5 seeds in 4 pots. I was lookin for scotts pro blend potting soil .07-.01-.03 but the closest thing i could find to day was shultz potting soil but oh well. I know they say to stay away from pre mixed soil +ferts but i am willing to take a chance.My intenctions is to keeep adding light one by one till i get my 5-6 that i want to have(cfl's 43w).

Question thou i was reading about molasses and was woundering when? and how much to add?? also how often? :ey:

6. Was bored today waiting for my sprouts so i figured i would try to build my carbon scrubber out of what i had kicking around so here it is. The wire i got from work out of the scrap bin, i also used an apple juice can dia of about 4 in and a regular soup can dia of 3 in. A little bit of a 2L pop bottle a old pair of the wife's hose, zip ties,and some duct tape total cost a whole $0 well i still have to get some carbon so ya it will cost me but anyways

Attached Files:

7. Hey Nova... good luck on your grow and I'm looking forward to watching along

I agree that your going to need more light.... your fine for now but as they grow plan on adding more... and dont forget when you switch to flower to also switch most of your bulbs to 2700k warm white bulbs.

And nice job on the DIY filter.

8. Thank NY i should have went to check on my plant before i posted that then i would have realized this, 4 out of 5 sprouted last night and let me tell ya what a surprise so i took some pics. Ya the lights there will be a lot more but it takes cash so i will get there and to switch ya i knew that but in my mind i got lots of time to get them. Damm two of my best pics will not upload oh well

Attached Files:

9. that filter makes me happy :hello: Walmart carries the activated charcoal, its about half the price than getting it at an aquarium place.

Good luck!

10. Still tinkering with my room but i think i will like this for a few days anyways. here is some more pics at 6 days from grem.

Attached Files:

11. looking good so far..im only 1 day ahead of you and it is also my first grow and are using cfl. im on day 7 so im gonna keep checkin this one out, goodluck!

12. Hey man. They look really healthy. :)

Coupla q's for ya:

Are they in 'see-thru' pots? If so, when do you plan to transplant? (Roots won't like the light. :))
    Have you got a fan blowing gently in there? It'll strengthen the stems up nicely.

13. HEY thanks as for the pots yea they are see thru i think for now i am just going to duct tape 'em up for now and mabey transplant them within the next week just gotta get new pots and the fan i went to a store the other day and they were all sold out of the one i wanted so still trying to track one down.;)

14. day 8

I transplanted my little ones today into a little bigger home for now. I used some seed starter soil about 1 mabey 2L about 9L of perlite and about 31L of top soil mixed'er all up and started transplanting. Here are some pics from before and after and some of my little ones.

Attached Files:

15. #15 nova_stoner, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
    DAY 12

quick pic update..

pic 3 is gotta little funk starting going to have to keep my nose on that one..

Attached Files:

16. Nice start Nova! They look great.

17. Hey there nova. You are off to a good start. I would suggest separating those 2 plants into different pots soon if possible. GL with the grow. :smoking:

18. Everything looks good!
    I love the lamp shade haha. :cool:

19. thanks . as for the double it is more of an experiment so in my mind what ever happens happens.but thanks for the suggestion :D

20. DAY 16

yesterday i watered with nuets for the first time and ya soo... nuthin new really other than the size so here's some pics;)

Attached Files: