First time grow ever using cfl method

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ojosrojos37, Apr 6, 2013.

1. I appreciate any feedback I can get first time ever growing. I have done some research but not nearly enough to hang with the big dogs. I plan on only growing one to two plants considering the space I have. So far this is what I am working with and any help on nutrients I should use I see theres so many just need something simple for now that I know I wont eff up. I plan on using 4 23w (100)w equiv. For veg then add four more using a splitter for flower.. Really new to this and I know the more light the bigger the yield but a few zones is just fine off one for now till I get the hang of it. I plan on buying a dual window fan that blows cools air while.the other pulls the hot air but for something that small I need one? I have already removed the shelves except for the top one so.i can attach the vanity light to it with some chains and adjust it as it grows. Im going to paint the inside white as well for reflection. Just pickn up.ideas here and there so if I sound like.I dont know what im.talking about, its cuz I dont hahaha... Pls help thanks.... Also, thanks to tplat for the response couldnt..figure how to respond back ..new to this

ForumRunner_20130405_174607.png

ForumRunner_20130405_174607.png

ForumRunner_20130405_173830.png

Attached Files:

2. sounds like you have a good idea. once you get everything together get it dialed in (heat, exhaust, etc.) b4 putting any plants in there. it's easy to be overzealous and to overdo it than to do too little. what medium you gonna use?

3. Yep, you can paint it white gloss or get some of that reflective shiny stuff (not tin foil because it creates hot spots apparently). I sellotaped loads of sheets of plain white paper to create whiteness but im not sure how fireproof it is. you'll need to drill a few holes or one big one equalling the size of your exhaust, and youl need a fan or 2 to extract all the hot gases.

if its a stealth grow youl need a carbon filter and a powerful enough exhaust fan

4. Thnx man for the response... By medium you mean soil right? Sorry still getting use to the slang but its called roots organic it comes mixed with cocofibers,guano, worm castings,perlite, and some other ingredients I cant remember only nearest hydro store so I figured it must be worth it. Only looked into that one because it already comes mixed. If you have any suggestions for something easy for begginer please let me know.

5. imnot sure about soil. a hydro guy atm. sounds good to me tho. if someone has a better suggestion they will let you know. just keep em happy and they will repay you for all the tlc

6. #6 loki125, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2013
    gloss is no just paint flat white or line with mylar
    paper yes is flameable but auto ignition os at about 300c so doubtbit would setvon fire but humidity will make it wet and you got electric in there they dont mix seriously just pick up some cheap white psont give it like 3-4 coats will take like 2 days if that then you dont have to worry

as for ait move ment have one hole or fan pulling cold in from from bottom just a hole can be used as your exaust should create negitive flow so it will pull air equal to the output. exaust as close to the top as you can a 4 inch fan will allow tou to connect a 4 inch ducting to use a carbon filter if you wish to

7. @trifle ya I have been looking into a fan but just tryna find smthng cheap haha but I know I wont find. Theres a dual window fan tha blows cool air from one blade and blows hot air out do you think that would be ok if I put it upright so the one that blows hot air is on top and the cool.fan on bottom. and ya I wana.get everythng setup and know I got a decent setup before.I start.

8. #8 loki125, Apr 6, 2013
    sounds like a nice organic mix ive heard good things about plant magic plus soil and the plant magic oldtimers veg and oldtimers bloom and they have a card on wheb to dose your plant and its good if you live in thw south as south had ph of about 8 and you want it at 6.8

genrally for neuts dont do anything for 3 weeks she will let you know when to feed her and yes you will need a fan to keep it around 70-80f and one in the box to give it a strong stem and keep off any mould spores

it mimics wind in the wild

keep cfls with in 2-3 inches to stop strech it shouldnt be too hot at that distance i got a 300w cfl about 2 inches above my plants there quite happy the more watts you can get in there the better
    6400k veg 2700k flower

9. just get a arctic f12 120mm fan theyre quiet and hardly cost any money at all

10. Thanks man was jusy going to ask what temp.is good for them. Quick questiom about Ph testers. I have seen a liquid Ph test with strips and seen how it is used on YouTube but I have also seen a thermometer type Ph tester that goes in the soil. can I use either one ?

11. Thanx trifle... Googling now

12. I apreciate the help man.. Getting my lights tomorrow and gonna start fixing th fixture up.. Little by little I will get there just want to make sure im.getting the right stuff

13. don't bother with it if you need a carbon filter though cus its not powerful enough really. you need a 4 inch inline extractor fan for a filter to work properly. a couple of the arctic ones would extract your air nicely on their own though

14. What does a carbon filter do? Do I need one? From everything I have been researching I havent read up on that yet.

15. im pretty sure that is what you hook up to avoid smell of plant exiting through exhaust

16. #16 loki125, Apr 6, 2013
    a carbon filter can scrub your exaust air of smell to stop the lush smell that is your weed lol but if its a 1-2 plant op try an ona block in some tights over the fan an ona block is a deoderiser and also make room smell lush i think one ona block is ment for large rooms so a small grow op it should be ok to get rid of most of the smell

as for ph tester get the pen type or a decent digital one you wannt get it bang on each time for a good grow you can get or go to a hydro storw depends on funds but they can give you a good one or search ebay see whats selling

17. O I gotcha.. So does the smell.get that bad? I mean I blaze in my room everyonce in awhile but its wood floors so it never really smells bad. but either way where can I buy the ona blocks? Just bought the flat white paint today but the vanity light fixtures not gna work how I wanted so for now going to buy a power strip and socket adapters with splitters.

18. #18 loki125, Apr 6, 2013
    it will smell imaging opening a oz bag of weed and leaving it there at about 80f it will cause a smell lol best to get at least an ona or make your own carbon filter dont want anyone finding out l. i got a bit of a stink going on placed the ona block near my out let fan and now all i smell is ona block smell lush lol :) got the freash lining one and tbf all ya need is to get away to them cfls down low and close to ya plant and to raise them as your plant grows i just drilled 4 holes in the top and put the lights in on power cords and clip them with clips to stop the going lower. and i can adjust each light as needed i use a metal hook attached to the top to hold the lights horrizontal :)

diy carbon filter on you tube

or go to a fish store buy activated carbon fish filter mat there about 10-15 cut to size of ya fan and put on the inside and if you can get ducting to go over the other side(outside) then in side the ducting place more sponge and then lossely fill one of ya misses tights like just the foot bit with activated carbon bits again from a fish store place that in the ducting then an ona block right by the end so it has air flow will over it ill get a pic in a sec how i got mine but i dont have the carbon in yet as ive not got over powering smell atm

edit bear with me gotta charge cam lol

19. this is how i got my ducting its litally a dryer pipe and that funnels all the exaust past an ona block and all previous weed smell has gone later i will add 2sponges ans a small ball of activated carbon for the air to pass though as well as the ona :) hope this help oh and the orange thing is a temp and humidity prob :)
    ForumRunner_20130406_185007.png

20. Man thats a dope setup.
    I can find a dryer pipe easy, this is what your talking about right? Texas Hydroponics &...