First time grow box

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Weasel King, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Hey everyone. I keep seeing people using PC cases as grow boxes with the inside covered in mylar. Would you be able to just use a cardboard box instead with the inside covered in mylar? Why should it be different right? Opinions?

2. Mostly because having a big ol cardboard box, with fans attached to it, sitting in my room wouldn't be very "Stealthy". :D

3. [quote name='"zeroz52"']Mostly because having a big ol cardboard box, with fans attached to it, sitting in my room wouldn't be very "Stealthy". :D[/quote]

So if stealth isn't important than a carsboard box is fine? Cause I don't need it to be a secret hahaha

4. Yeah, should not be an issue as long as you have good airflow and such.

5. Might want to think about the whole flammability issue of using lights in a paper box. Not saying I haven't seen people do exactly what you are talking about, but I definitely would advise against it. Use a rubbermaid at least.

6. SSH has a very good point.

7. Your best bet is to build a frame from 1"x2" that can support your lights, timers, etc. and wall the frame with cardboard. Then cover the cardboard box with mylar.

The only problem in flammability would lie in the box collapsing into the lights. So long as you have good airflow and have wired everything properly it shouldn't be an issue.

In my personal opinion a PC case is way too small. I would recommend building your cab 1.5'x1.5'x3'. When you're fitting in lights, fans, timers, it's easy for a plant to run outta room.

What kind of lights do you have or are planning on using? Soil or Hydro? Autoflowers?

8. Plan on using CFLs, soil, and bagseed, first grow.

9. Yeah, you'll want a decent size box. Growing from seed, you're gonna have a plant at least 2ft tall by the time you're flowering. And that would be with an Indica dominant strain that's been topped to grow low and bushy. And remember you're still gonna need room in there for 3-5 gallons of soil, a fan, and then the plant itself.

I started out similar to you; bagseed in some dirt in a tiny cab. And I'm still using the same setup, though after the girl that's in their now gets done flowering in the next few weeks, I'm going to hydro.

My cab is 20"w x 17" d x 42"t. And I wouldn't recommend going much smaller, as it can get quite cramped in there, even with only one plant. My DIY CFL light fixture can hold up to 8 bulbs. I usually start out with like 2-3 for a seedling/clone, then as the canopy grows add bulbs until they're all in there, and change to a mostly red spectrum for flowering (usually leave one or two blue bulbs in). In this figuration, it's putting out around 236w.

Best of Luck!

10. Going bigger is fine, but there is nothing wrong with a PC sized grow. There are plenty of threads here that prove decent yields are possible in small spaces...

11. I agree, but I doubt any of those having success are first-timers using bagseed. Just trying to give reasonable advice, ya know.

12. Don't use a cardboard box... Build yourself a nice little grow box using plywood. Paint the inside flat white or put mylar inside. Put 100w+ of CFLs in there, drill holes and place fans. Make sure everything is light tight and temps don't exceed 80 and you're good to go.