first time FIM.. i think i cut to much, thoughts?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jalapeno0, Apr 5, 2011.

1. See picture attached, is this correct or did i cut off the tops of side nodes that shouldn't have been touched.. and if i did screw up, how bad?

thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. All you did was cut the leaves, bro. Not really going to hurt, but won't have the effect you want.

All those leaves? Spread them down just like the way you're pulling that one down right now. The very middle of it all, you can kinda see where all the leaves are growing from. It's like a little pod-shaped kinda thing really, you just wanna cut that about 2/3 off.

You can't even really see it from the pic, otherwise I'd circle it for you. I may be wrong, but it just looks like all you did was cut the leaves.

3. yeah nip the very center pod the very newest form in the top, ya peel her back spread her wide, and snip like he said, 2/3rds of the pod, it will look like you pinched the top, but missed the bottom 1/3rd, and youll branch out there.....maybe 4 branches 3 branches, 2 branches

Topping is essential when growing sativa marijuana seeds strains in small closet

Topping and Fimming of your plants need not be the headache most make it out to be. Simply follow the instructions below and your well on your way to being a professional in Fimming and Topping. If you decided to grow any sativa cannabis seeds strains, be sure to perform topping as you want to limit your marijuan plants height.
    Topping a marijuana plant
    1. Locate the very top of your plant and cut through the main stem just below the newest growth. This should be done after the 3rd or 4th leaf set but can be done at any time after the 3rd leaf set.
    2. Shows Plant Top cut off and where the 2 new Branches that will form a "Y" in the main stem will grow from.
    3. Shows the newly topped plant after 2 days of growth, notice the Y in the Stem Forming.

^ Top
    Fimming a marijuana plant
    Fimming is actually no different that topping, what fimming does is virtually the exact same thing only your leaving part of the new growth. This only takes of part of the new growth and actually topping the very very new growth which is very hard to see.
    What this ends up doing is making it seem as if your getting 4 new tops right next to eachother when its actually only 2 at the very top (like topping) but since it was cut so closely to the next newest set of fanleaves 2 branches which would have formed there anyways seems to make it look like there is 4 new tops. Fimming can be easily performed on sativas (or any hybrids of sativa cannabis seeds crosses) as they tend to grow longer and less dense stems, which is usefull for such precise procedure.
    This is how you go about doing this.
    1. Locate the very top of the new growth

2. With a clean sterilized scissors, Fold the fan leafs over and cut approximately 80% of the new growth off the plant.

3. View from the top showing the Cut

4. View of the Cut section after 2 days growth, showing the 4 new growth shoots (branches)

Attached Files:

4. wow thanks for the quick replies! after reading around and then looking at the two great desciptions provided above i took another stab. look better? also whats going to happen to those leaves on the side branches that i cut accidentally?

before and after pics attached

Attached Files:

5. I swear that looks a lot better! I'm going to do this in a few weeks.

6. just one bump. anyone have opinions on the new growth i accidentally cut off?

7. You should be fine with those leaves u cut off accidently.. if anything it may encourage new growth near it. Just keep an eye out on it.. but u should be fine.

8. From what I can tell, it looks like you got it right! You should expect 2-4 new growth shoots growing from that right there.

Personally, I just like topping a plant without the FIM technique. I find it's a lot easier to control as you know exactly what'll happen. I grow to 3 nodes, and top back to 2 nodes. Each node then puts out 2 leading shoots for a total of 8 tops. I then typically let the taller one grow to 3 nodes, and top it back again. I let the lower one grow until it's even with the top one and then top that one as well. I end up with 12-16 colas that way.

9. this is awesome stuff.. my plants are 12 days from sprout.. im about to get to the 3rd leaf set i believe? what exactly is a "leaf set"?

10. The leaf set is the point on the stem where two leaves grow out. In that last picture you posted, do you see those two leaves that have been cut in half that are positioned in a "V" pretty much? That's a leaf set. The leaf set below that is the fan leaf that's blurry in the background and the one thats out of the frame close to you.

If those are the only two you have, then yes you're on your third leaf set. That's the same place I top my plants at.