First time cfl grow opinions

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by TEP2014, Feb 10, 2014.

1. #1 TEP2014, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
    Day 21 of flower update, any help or opinions are appreciated. Never grew before so I'm going off knowledge learned here. Thanks TEP-So like many others here my wife and I are tired of putting our money into a dealers pockets. So we decided on a somewhat stealth grow in a extra closet. Just looking for some pointers here from the more experienced than I.

So first off I started with some bag seed I've been saving. Started with 11 and kept 8. I built a shelf to help control temps. Currently they're under 12 26w 5000k bulbs and 4 3500k bulbs. I would love to go with an HID setup, but just can't afford one now. Anyway I made 2 light poles using shower curtain rods and 4 clamp lights a piece with extenders and splitters. I was still worried about losing light so I enclosed them with poster board. Temps are 73-86 with RH 30-40.

So, is their anything else I should/shouldn't be doing? Any help would be great.

1. My light setup
    2. Left side of garden
    3. Right side
    4&5 two that are furthest along.
    6. Shelf 30" off floor to help with temp

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. looks good so far.. definitely will get u thru veg maybe a couple more lights. id be careful with that big fan so close to the young ones.. gentle fan recommended and get a pH digital meter for $15 on amazon and keep ur pH good and youll be fine

3. Yea, the fans on low but I'm gonna get a smaller one tomorrow. Got a cheap pH kit for now and I'm watering with Tw that's left to breathe a few days

4. And I plan on adding more 2700k bulbs for flowering, I forgot earlier each bulb is 1600 lumens

5. make sure you let your tap water sit out with no top on it for atleast 24 hours I do 2 days or until I cant smell the chlorine anymore

6. Hey guys, figured I'd give y'all a quick update. They're looking good except for some leaf curling a few days ago. Ordered a digital pH meter yesterday and got a ocillating fan in place of the box one. Still unsure of the strain but looks like I could get good results so far.

Attached Files:

7. I like watching the progress of new grows. Pulling up a chair for this one.

8. Day 20 update, babies are looking great! I switched to watering them with distilled water though because they didn't seem to like my tap water. As always any opinions are welcome!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. I am impressed by you set up. Nice job on the gang of lights, you would have to hunt for a shadow.

Also your plants look very nice, you are on your way. your soil is fine for now, you have lots of time before you transplant.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks snoop, I'm gonna have to add side lighting though. I've got roots coming out the bottom of my pots now. I'm just trying to avoid them getting root bound

• Like Like x 1
  11. Read up on the RX green solutions nutes the guy at the hydro shop gave me. They're all organic apparently. Seems like they should work out well. So I guess we'll see

• Like Like x 1
  12. A little tip is don't put catch trays under the pots if you do put the pot on stilts, what it does is encourage the roots to grow to that nice puddle of water.

If you grow with a pot on lets say a milk crate where no water puddle can form, the roots will never even try to grow out.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Looking good

Sent from my N9100 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  14. Day 22;
    I transplanted my babies this morning into fox farm ocean forest in 3 gl grow bags. Kinda glad I did cause they close to being root bound judging from the root balls. Anyway I watered them in, and probably won't be adding bytes for a week or So.

Attached Files:

15. Damn auto correct *nutes not bytes

no way could they be root bound. you will never need to transplant them again.you don't have enough light to grow monsters and 3 gallon is overkill big time. You will see the root balls at harvest.

3 gallons is what I got my 6 foot fruit trees in with apples pears and nectarines growing on them. Think about that.

17. True, these are definitely their final homes. I'd rather have went with these to start with but oh well. I'd rather be safe than sorry as far as them going root bound, plus I've got the room for them So why not?