First serious grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by abrahamx, Sep 8, 2010.

1. I wanted to start a journal to keep track of my grow and for help with problems I know I will have. I started the seeds in 4" jiffy pots in regular potting soil. I will put them in fox farm ocean when I transplant them into 3 or 5 gal pots(not sure which yet) I started the seeds on 8-17-10, they germinated in 3 or 4 days which suprised me. been growing for about 19 days or so. I tried to germ 8 seeds and only 5 sprouted so about 4 or 5 days ago I put two more in. I now have 7 seedlings of Swazi Skunk growing. They are under two 175 w mh and two 40w t12's. I have a 600w hps for flowering. Right now I just have a small fan for cooling/strengthning the stems. I have a thermometer/hydrometer. No ph tester yet but I am working on that also. I hope to post some pics later today if I get a chance.

2. I got some pics. Yesterday I thought I noticed them yellowing. Now for sure they are. Any suggestions on why and what to do about this yellowing.

Attached Files:

3. How often are you feeding them? are you PH balancing your food and water? are you using a regular feeding/watering schedule? Did you dilute you feeding formulas correctly? you might need to test the ph of you soil as well, any of these could be causing the yellowing on your plant

The Complete guide to Sick Plants,pH, and Pest troubles! - International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums this website is great for troubleshooting on what you might be doing wrong with your plants

4. thanks for the link. I do not have a tester (ph) yet. I will obvioulsy need one. Not on a tight schedule but about every other day. those jiffy pots dry out fast. I have not started feeding yet. I was going to wait another week or so.

5. I'd start with a low dosage, just something to get them used to the taste of nutrients (quarter or half strength).

Get a Ph meter quick! Completely essential to a good grow. Take it from me, I failed 4 times before switching to hydro, which has been easier for me to monitor the Ph.

Good luck on this grow! I'll be stopping by to help share some tips.

6. thanks, look forward to any help/suggestions/advice. I think I'll run out and get a ph meter tommorow. Any suggestions on a good/popular one and where I can get one locally. Cultivation Statiion will probably be expensive. I was thinking target. I will have to look around but any suggestions welcome.

7. honestly look online, there are plenty of good ones for great prices and you can get a ball park pricing on certain brands

8. Are you letting the soil dry out between waterings?

9. I am letting the soil dry out but I will wait a little longer to see if it works. Plus I'll probably transplant soon also.

10. In the second pic it looks like there may be mold growing on the edge of the pot. But it could be just a piece of fuzz. Do let them dry out between waterings, but not to the point where they wilt.

11. I did not see any mold. I'm sure I was not overwatering them. If so, just barely. I have them repoted in some 8.75 square pots not sure of the gal size. Maybe 2.5 or 3 I would guess. ffof soil with a bag of perlite mixed in. I accedentily bought the grow big for hydroponics. Can I still use it for soil. I was going to exchange it but when I looked on my recipt I found they forgot to charge me for it. Here's a shitty pic just to show where I'm at.

Attached Files:

12. Thank god they forgot to charge me because I went there with $100 and the total was $99.06, for 7 pots, 2 bags of ffof, 4 trays for the pots, a little shot glass measuring thingy, and a bag of perlite,

13. just watered with 1/4 tsp/ gal grow big hydroponic. For the first time. Plants are looking good.

14. Just an update to add current pics. I fed them once and they seem to be liking the ffof.

Attached Files:

15. #15 abrahamx, Sep 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2010
    the smaller ones were started about two weeks later than the others. I guess I'm on day 29 from planting the seeds(the larger ones that is). Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

16. Lookin good! It looks like you got some better color in your leaves after that first feeding.

17. Just wanted to post a few quick pics, even though the best one got deleted somehow. So far so good. I Decided to veg for a few more weeks or untill 1 ft tall. Its swazi skunk so I hopw they dont get too tall. I just got some 5 gal grow bags with 3 bags of ffof. I have them a little over half full waiting for a transplant. I hope to have some better pics tommorow.

Attached Files:

18. #18 abrahamx, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2010
    Just watered with some super thrive and topped 3 of the 5 bigger plants. Noticed some bugs. Look like gnats but not sure. also saw and killed two of these things that looked like mini flies. Raised the lights slightly.

Attached Files:

19. Just watered using 2 gallons of water. I used ff grow big at 1tsp/gal. The second time and probably the last before I switch to 12/12 and break out the 600 watter. Starting to see staggered nodes so I am looking good. although the leaves look a little wide to me for supposedly being mostly sativa. According to the package from seedsman they are 87% sativa. I have been vegging for about 35 or so days, so they should get big. sitting at a consistent 75* with about 50% humidity. I know I should bump it up but its perfect for flowering and they will be doing that soon. I hope I get at least 4 females out of the seven I am vegging. A few quick pics. the one shows a staggered node. Any comments or advice/suggestions more than welcome.

Attached Files:

20. Going to transplant right now. Hopefully I dont disturb the roots too bad.