First PC Grow - Papaya

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by virusoflife, Nov 8, 2011.

1. After reading everyone's topics and aching to do my own and to have some nice home grown bud of my own I jumped into it.

Specs:
    Soil - Organic soil-less mixture w/ perlite already mixed in.
    Lights - 3 x 23 watt CFLs (1 soft and 2 daylight) 4800 lumens
    Nutes - Recipe for Success kit
    Seed - Papaya from Nirvana Shop

Now for the pretties!
    IMG_0299[1].JPG
    IMG_0301[1].JPG

Here is my diary from the first few days:

Seed was placed in plastic bag with 5 damp paper towels and set on top of a server for a few hours after being under my bed (mattress, boxspring, bean in a black DVD case, and then the blanket my boxspring sits on) for the pervious night.

Orgainic soilless medium that I had on hand from a local place was then placed into a container that I hope is a good idea. Gave it 300ml of water (thats when I started getting run off). Letting the luke warm water drain for 15 minutes and to catch all the extra liquid for a quick pH test.

Holds 200ml of water about as run off equaled about 100ml of water. pH has turned out to be about 7 on universal pH test paper. Placing in casse for tonight with lights on with temps in the 80F range. 50ml of water was added for humidity and testing said humidity.

Seed came out of the soil around day 4, watered her today on day 5 with 50ml of water as she seemed just a little damp.

Attached Files:

2. Looking good what are your temps like and do you have 1 or 2 fans

3. Im all in. That was my first choice to grow. Good luck

4. #4 virusoflife, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2011
    Temps are in the low 80s with 24/h light and I only have the 1 exhaust.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I put some yarn tied to a CFL and some duct tape to keep it from possibly falling off. I think after my first grow I'm probably going to redo my case design.

5. looks good, subbed in, keep us updated on how things go

6. Is that low 80s with the box closed or open?

7. Yea you need some intake if theres no intake there willbne no air to exhaust

8. Looks good and tidy in there! Hope it goes well!

Happy growing

9. it's a pc case, there is an intake at the front...

are you saying he's generated a full vacuum in there lol?

10. #10 virusoflife, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2011
    Hah, I have a passive intake at the front and it's doing pretty well. With boxed closed it only gets up to 84F at the highest so no need for another fan to exhaust yet.

Update: 6 Days in soil

No significant growth in the last day or two but she might be really thirsty. I only gave her 50ml that one day and it's been some time so it's about time she gets something to drink. I'll probably give her the full 200ml of water in about an hour. I cut off some of the plastic container she is in so I'm going to let her settle after having me squish on the dirt a little.

When I first opened the case her leaves were pointed to the light but now they have drooped and I have noticed a little brown in the center and she has a purple stem. (I know it's a girl as I bought already fem seeds so if I don't get a female I'll be REALLY pissed.)

IMG_0302[1].JPG

Will update later after I water her in about an hour.

11. It maybe stretching for light or it might be a little hot in there

12. Subbed. Lookin good. I am at like the same exact stage with my small cab and just planted my germinated seed in my pc. Were you able to completely light proof the case? And how are you going about smell? Or is it not an issue?

13. No smell issue yet and I didn't fully light proof as I figure I will when smell gets to be an issue.

She is still turning her leaves upwards (along with the tips) and it seems like she has grown a bit, the water I gave her last night was probably what she needed. Still has a purple stem but I'm not as worried about that as the lack of impressive growth.

Will do a day 7 update later on today.

14. Day 7 upate:

Not much growth, she is still looking good though. I may transplant her before she gets 4 leaf sets as she could probably be root bound already. As long as she is green I don't really have a problem with her. :smoke:

IMG_0303[1].JPG

15. i wouldn't say she's rootbound yet

my auto was root bound after 8 days in a 8oz cup, she was only 'just' root bound, not circling roots yet though

you look like you have at least 16oz of soil there, i'd wait a little longer, if you try to transplant too early you may damage the roots if the soil falls away from the root ball

16. Subb'd. make sure to add another 23w bulb in a week or so and run 18/6 with the light being on when its the coldest time in your area. Up your airflow if you need..to stay in the 70F's.

17. Just home home and checked on her, she is looking pretty.

I don't have enough room on the light strip to add another 23w bulb in so I kinda have to stick to what I have unless I redo the case/light setup. She should be ok though right? If not I could look for a bigger wattage bulb that would fit and I could take some weight off the light strip.

Temp isn't much of an issue and I may add the 60mm fan I have in there if it has to be in the 70F's. My issue is with the lights off it can get into the 60F's I think. I was going to hit her with a lot when I transplant her (nutes, light timing, and all that).

18. Hey I've been thinking about pc grow for a while but nobody ever confirmed how do you keep the plant small enough I'n their throughout it's full life cycle?

Also lookin good

19. keeping the plant low and small isn't difficult, there are lots of techniques you could use

simply using a small pot will keep growth small, as without adequate root space your plant will only grow a certain amount, this differs from strain to strain and even plant to plant, you have to find out what works best for you here

using low stress training techniques like regular old LST (tying branches down, or tying the stem down to create a shape or patters that is appropriate for your situation), or even ScrOG which involves the use of a metal or other material screen (like a chicken wire fence or string on a frame to make 2" squares) to keep the growth even and low below the screen, this is also a good method as you can make one plant take up the horizontal space of several, thus increasing yield

you can also supercrop which is a high stress training involving bending by damaging the stems so that growth is moved 90 degrees sideways rather than straight up

there is a lot of other techniques but these are the main ones used to keep plants low

they also have the benefit of added yield, so it's win win